Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rostra cruise module mounting locations
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Recently purchased a Rostra universal control module (250-1223) for my recently purchased 1990 2WD, 2.1 waterboxer with manual gearbox.

For those who have completed a non-GW install, where did you mount the control unit?

Thanks for any feedback on this. Getting ready to embark on a trip from Oregon to Ohio in 11 days and hope to get this installed and working beforehand.

Mike
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Are you asking about the location of the servo or the switches?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

I'Ve yet to install it but I'm planning on mounting mine under the back seat.
Cable through the firewall to the throttle body.

I did the gas pedal previously...... lots of work (just buy GoWesty's kit) and didn't work. Too much system friction to overcome I think.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752373&highlight=

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

My van is Subaru powered so this may not work for you, but maybe you could move it to the opposite side. I mounted the control unit in the rear area where the stock air intake box used to reside. Never had any issues with that aspect of the system. The only issue I’ve ever had with mine has been VSS related.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Mine is an Audiovox (vacuum, not electromagnetic) but the component layout may be similar - I put the servo behind the right rear tail light. That's on a Digijet though which has nothing else going on in that space.
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Ahwahnee, I'm talking about the servo.

Dave, I've reviewed many of your past posts on this. Most appreciative of all your info and insights. I'm new to the forum and the van so excuse my lack of correct nomenclature and my ignorance at this point. I've been scoping out the back seat, so thanks for confirming this as a possible good option.

Mike
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

The back right side of mine has the air intake. Looking around the immediate area of the engine compartment, there are few options without getting too close to the coil.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

FWIW, here's a pic of the Rostra mounted for a Bostig...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

MikeCorbitt wrote:
The back right side of mine has the air intake.,,

So does mine, that is where the servo sits. The cable comes out through a hole in the cardboard piece that covers the area (same one that has a big hole for the air snout.
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

To mount the control unit in the back right corner, did you have to extend your a few of your wires to reach your switch control and the brake positive/negative wires? My wiring falls several feet short.
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

The length of the Rostra cruise cable and the wiring harness does not provide many options where the control module can be located. Have most of you that purchased Rostra units in the past had to extend your wiring harnesses? Trying to locate my control module in the engine bay is not an option for the length of my wiring harness.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Yes. The white cable sheath in the photo below is the Ancor six (?) conductor cable that extends the harness from the engine bay to the dash on my van. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/InstallerCCTV-Alarm-Cable-2...NrPXRydWU=

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
FWIW, here's a pic of the Rostra mounted for a Bostig...

this is where mine is

re: wire extension, IDR if I got a extension from Rostra directly or if I used speaker wire or towing light strand....it wasn't a bit deal in any case

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. These are all appreciated and helpful. Nothing like being a newbie.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

MikeCorbitt wrote:
Thanks for the replies. These are all appreciated and helpful. Nothing like being a newbie.

Oh, put your van year and engine in your sister we we know what we are referencing

Thigh my answer advice or correct with my subi,. I more recall with the 1.9 I had it on the rear muffler shield

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

Thanks for the note about including my van particulars. Took me a while to figure out how to do that.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

Oh, put your van year and engine in your sister...

Sometimes I think auto-correct is intentionally incorrect: signature to sister? Steve Jobs is spinning in his gravlax.

Abscate wrote:

MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

I was able to decipher. I used to blame Bill Gates for auto-correcting what should not have been changed.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

MikeCorbitt wrote:
Recently purchased a Rostra universal control module (250-1223) for my recently purchased 1990 2WD, 2.1 waterboxer with manual gearbox.

For those who have completed a non-GW install, where did you mount the control unit?

Thanks for any feedback on this. Getting ready to embark on a trip from Oregon to Ohio in 11 days and hope to get this installed and working beforehand.

Mike

I have the same kit. Also got the short rostra cruise stalk and mounted it on the steering cover forward and above the turn signal stalk.

Which switch did you get?

I followed the GW install instructions for mounting and cable actuation and wiring as much as possible. I was planning to mount in the engine compartment. Evaluated GW's install and it's quite ingenious actually. It's FAR easier to mod the throttle cable cover and be "ok," with the somewhat reverse actuation that GW uses than to extend the wiring all the way to the back of the van. At least IMHO.

I know Dave struggled with this install method. I had the exact opposite experience. I believe he also has an auto and wasn't getting a kick down he was looking for. I have a manual. Plus...Dave...I say this lovingly....you tend to over think and over complicate things when you're installing. (Ouch...sorry...flame suit on...lol.)

With mounting the unit under the dash, I can hear the cruise gears grab when I engage it which is a bit satisfying in knowing it's good to go. (It's silent otherwise.)

Here is my thread on dip switches. If you need any help or advice please hit me up. I've installed 3 of these on 3 different vehicles. 2 of them being motorcycles. So I have a good amount of experience with them.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736663

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
MikeCorbitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rostra cruise module mounting locations Reply with quote

I purchased the dash mount switch. At the time, I was wanting the RF bus it's no longer available and I did not think the cruise stalk was an option for my year. Duh.

There were a few reasons I didn't go with the GW version, but now I'm thinking lesson learned. And I paid more money for it. Ouch.

I had previously read your dip switch settings and modeled mine after yours for the most part.

Where did you get your GW instructions? Off their website, or just following their video?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: