Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency brake cable modification for EMPI disc brakes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Emergency brake cable modification for EMPI disc brakes Reply with quote

After installing the EMPI rear disc brake set-up, I found that the emergency brake cables did not fit properly. The cable sleeve at the rear was not long enough to allow it to run up the trailing arm and the cable itself was maxed out at the handle end leaving no adjustment for stretching. Here is the before picture:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To fix it, I fired up the lathe and made extenders that fit over the end of the tube where if comes out of the chassis. It lengthened the tube by about 1 inch which worked out perfectly for me and now the cable routing is good and I have adjustment for stretching. Just thought I would share this fix.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake cable modification for EMPI disc brakes Reply with quote

Great fix!
I have thought about doing that every time I have replaced my Thing's brake cables for the last 40 years.
Even with stock rear drum brakes, I have never had a set of brake cables that were not an inch too long.
Last time, I just lopped off the ends before they punched holes in my new boot.
Next time, I will just turn a couple of extensions like you did.
Nice work, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake cable modification for EMPI disc brakes Reply with quote

Very nice... you would think those were factory stock items if you didn't know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake cable modification for EMPI disc brakes Reply with quote

Any chance you want to make more of those extenders?
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake cable modification for EMPI disc brakes Reply with quote

I would be glad to make a few - however since my sketches are long gone, I will need you to measure the outside diameter of the tubes that the adapter will push onto as well as the diameter of the part of the cable end that will slide into the other end of the adapter so I can drill the right size holes. I can get the other dimensions off of the adapters on my vehicle the next time I have it up on the lift.

I will need to get about a foot 3/4" diameter 6061 aluminum bar. I got mine from McMaster Carr. Let me know if you are interested and I can PM you with my address.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake cable modification for EMPI disc brakes Reply with quote

Off topic, but your chassis looks great. Wondering what you used to paint it and if you are happy with the results/application process?

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency brake cable modification for EMPI disc brakes Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
Off topic, but your chassis looks great. Wondering what you used to paint it and if you are happy with the results/application process?

Thanks. I had the whole chassis and all of the suspension components blasted and powder coated. I had the body off to weld in new floor pans and it kind of grew to a full restoration. I then coated the floor pans with Raptor Liner to give some additional protection and texture, but with the powder coating I really should never have to worry about it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: