Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tar boards motor compartment
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

preachermanNC wrote:
I noticed a significant price difference between classicvws.com and west coast metric's tar boards ($80 w/ shipping [classicvws] vs. 29.99 + shipping [wcm]). If they're similar, reckon why such a difference in price? Both are USA-made in house, and from what I can tell, both are reputable suppliers.

I’d like to know and see the difference of the two. Has anyone bought both?

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chunky66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Does anyone have a pic of modern sound deadening installed, like Dynamat or something else?
someday_itl_run
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Chunky66 wrote:
Does anyone have a pic of modern sound deadening installed, like Dynamat or something else?

Im in the same boat as you.
Looking for photos to see a complete install.
I have NIB 'premium' tarboards from CIP1
Waiting on my 'pillows'
Got dynamat in the luggage side interior, but not the engine side.

Weekend project, here I come.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I have the ones from WW installed and they seem to be of a good quality. I did not have enough room behind them to install sound deadner. I will install that in the package tray.
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

I was blessed (?) by the PO deciding to smooth out the firewall by removing all the tabs to hold down the tar boards. I am annoyed by that since it is a guarantee the tar boards will sag. I have seen clips that stick to metal and have a press on flat piece. I don’t recall where I’ve seen them. Any ideas of how to keep the tar boards up would be great.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Make my own, 4 sets so far..took J.H. advise...easy and inexpensive.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
someday_itl_run
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Maybe some rivets and large washers? Bad look, but effective.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Make your own triangles that are the same size as stock, put a 90* bend on one end and instead of spot welding simply pop rivet them to the firewall.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Make your own triangles that are the same size as stock, put a 90* bend on one end and instead of spot welding simply pop rivet them to the firewall.

Not a bad idea actually. It would save me a lot of work for sure. Not OG not could weld them in if I ever repaint. Thx!
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Does anyone know the gauge of the steel used for these tabs in 58? I assume it would have been the same as the body? 20 gauge sound correct?
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

lardawge wrote:
Does anyone know the gauge of the steel used for these tabs in 58? I assume it would have been the same as the body? 20 gauge sound correct?

I am pretty positive they are 20.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Btw and fyi the later Mexican Bugs from model 1985 and later (here my 84) addressed tar board sagging by using modern alloy fixing washers on a boilt welded to the fire wall and a tin bar between two of them (yes I broke the bolt on the lower right side and had to use a screw instead):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: tar boards motor compartment Reply with quote

Smurf wrote:
preachermanNC wrote:
I noticed a significant price difference between classicvws.com and west coast metric's tar boards ($80 w/ shipping [classicvws] vs. 29.99 + shipping [wcm]). If they're similar, reckon why such a difference in price? Both are USA-made in house, and from what I can tell, both are reputable suppliers.

I’d like to know and see the difference of the two. Has anyone bought both?

I watched the video on classicvws.com and the tarboard he was installing seemed very flexible. I would be concerned about that.

Question for everyone: I recall seeing a screen "cap" that would fit over the fan shroud air intake and stick out about 1.5" for use in sand rails. (to keep desbris out) What about putting that on the back of the fan shroud as an insurance policy to both keep the tarboard away AND avoid sucking up plastic backs or rags?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: