Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Maybe this should be a poll but....

Have users here found that the Bosch Premium plug wires have good quality control? This thread suggests maybe not:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

The "wholesaler closeout" Bosch set from rock auto I'm considering:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=278793&cc=1283723&pt=7224&jsn=842

On my low mile (Bremi?) wires, I might have an issue related, in part, to the heat soak issue this person found. But, he had Bosch wires so I don't want to chase bad with bad:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...e.#8655531

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

I’m in the Wow, Bosch quality used to be so much better . Camp.....
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

Wire problems were recently the source of a lot of problems for me, and I incorrectly identified them in my thread as Beru wires.

I just went back and checked the order at ECS Tuning and it turns out they were Bosch wires. I won't use them again.

Edit to add:

These show "Bosch" as the brand in the pic, but in the description it says "Prenco." So maybe I inadvertently bought a knock-off set.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-parts/ignition-wire-set-oe-1hm998031/1hm998031~bos/

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

Bosch points, plugs, condensers, spark plug wires, there is a long list of Bosch parts that shouldn't be used any more if you want a dependable rig. Up until 15 years ago, I almost exclusively used Bosch ignition and other electrical parts, but then I had a failure of a new set up Bosch points, followed shortly thereafter by having my daughter being stuck far from home in the middle of the night because of the failure of a new Bosch alternator that took out the wiring harness when it went. For a while I searched for NOS parts, but the supply has been pretty well picked over by now.
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

The Robert Bosch Corporation of America was different than Bosch of Germany a long time ago. American executives have a different mindset. Although the Germans are catching up with them. Bosch in America started selling questionable stuff in the 80's. Not too long ago they listed two ignition wire sets for the wasserboxer. One was much better than the other.

I started using Beru or Bremi only a long time ago. The Beru wires are just as good as the original ones. STI (Spark Technology International) is a reboxer that usually sells good stuff.

I had an intermittent misfire In my Carat recently that took me a long time to fix. It turned out to be a bad Bosch WR7CC+ spark plug that was made in Russia! The conductor physically broke inside the ceramic. It is NGK for me from now on.

I will say that the caps and rotors for the old cars seem to be exactly as they were in the 80s, in other words the very best. The Bosch reman rotating electric line was sold off to an offshore buyer years ago. It is harder and harder to get good parts now and that is without considering the large amount of counterfeit parts on the market now.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

I've had good luck with the Bosch Premium set. Installed in 1996 it needed to be replaced in 2012 - Bosch honored the lifetime guarantee and refunded the full purchase price of the replacement (which also carries a lifetime guarantee).

Nine years in that set is still good - I guess so long as they provide new wires for life I'll stay with them (and carry a spare plug wire as long as the longest one needed).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

hardway wrote:

I started using Beru or Bremi only a long time ago.

What parts house do you use? I have thought that I should pick up a lifetime supply before the quality goes down.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

Great information folks.

I did damage a plug wire (see below) but the stall issue was happening before that. I haven't ruled G40 distributor hall sender, (or wiring, plug contacts) as the cause or part of cause.

I just called my VW parts guy. My wires are likely Beru. I mentioned the Bosch wires in question and that they're a "wholesaler closeout" item. He said they're likely fine. I don't know if $15 for shipping is a bit high.

Neil.

In hindsight, this is likely a generic type tool. It's what I used to try and remove the plug wires. I bought it on a whim while getting parts from AZ Autohaus several years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This appears to be a more suitable tool:

Just for fun. The leaking spark. I could hear it! A road side repair of electrical tape is holding, so far.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

I use a lot of Napa brand parts on my 90. Their plug wires are top notch.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

^^

Thanks CessnaJon. Their Canadian online store shows quite a few brands, and a wide range of prices. Wink

https://www.napacanada.com/en/search?q=Nty%3D1%26N...abled=true

I installed a 'premium' NAPA coolant pump in my other ABA Vanagon. It looked like a stout well made part. It still works fine.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

This appears to be a more suitable tool:

I have one of these and really like it. There are a few different brands of this tool. As with many things, if you get one, get the more expensive one. The weld at the end of the rod broke on the cheap one the second time I used it. Rolling Eyes
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Just for fun. The leaking spark. I could hear it! A road side repair of electrical tape is holding, so far.

That's a great picture!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

Many times the metal shielded plug wires cannot be truly diagnosed unless the metal shield is torn off the plug end. Many times the resister fails and the spark jumps to the shield which is shorted to the plug.

As far as I'm concerned, if you do not have a metal shielded plug wire, then you probably got an inferior plug wire. The Germans seems to like using a real wire to transmit the spark where the cheaper 'carbon core' wires have no wire in them. Many people yank on those cheaper wires which stresses that carbon core which causes the 'wire' not to transfer the spark.

Someone above mentioned that above and said that the resister ends are the thing that goes bad. I agree 100%. Wires rarely, if ever fail, it's the ends. Sadly, the ends cost much more than a complete wire set and when one goes, they are usually all knocking on that door.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch Premium Spark Plug Wire Quality Control Reply with quote

hardway wrote:
The Robert Bosch Corporation of America was different than Bosch of Germany a long time ago. American executives have a different mindset. Although the Germans are catching up with them. Bosch in America started selling questionable stuff in the 80's. Not too long ago they listed two ignition wire sets for the wasserboxer. One was much better than the other.

I started using Beru or Bremi only a long time ago. The Beru wires are just as good as the original ones. STI (Spark Technology International) is a reboxer that usually sells good stuff.

I had an intermittent misfire In my Carat recently that took me a long time to fix. It turned out to be a bad Bosch WR7CC+ spark plug that was made in Russia! The conductor physically broke inside the ceramic. It is NGK for me from now on.

I will say that the caps and rotors for the old cars seem to be exactly as they were in the 80s, in other words the very best. The Bosch reman rotating electric line was sold off to an offshore buyer years ago. It is harder and harder to get good parts now and that is without considering the large amount of counterfeit parts on the market now.
yeah, I can remember starting out in the Auto Business in the later '80s and having older Techs tell me that Bosch parts were not of the caliber that they remember.
They were already switching over to NGK ignition parts often on European Vehicles since they felt they performed better and longer with way fewer comebacks .
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: