Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SS100 "replica" Kit Kar
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I have been wanting to update this thread with pix for some time, but I had to change ISPs and lost access for a while.

I will post some new pix today if I can log in on the phone.

Like usual in this biz, the more I disassemble, the more I want to keep going. It looks like I will disassemble and reassemble almost everything before I am done. Nothing about this kit was well done at original assembly.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Tearing out all the dash wiring and the steering column.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The headlights, Parking lights, spreader bar, horn and front wires gone.

I had to take the steering column into pieces and remove it before I could remove the left front fender. It has a structural crack. You can’t see it but it needs to be repaired.

The steering column got a custom-made white plastic bushing in the upper housing. You can just see the rim of it sticking out of tube.

The steering column had no intermediate support and there was a rag joint in between the one upper bearing and the worm shaft. The steering gear is not perfect but it will be OK once I overhaul it. The steering shaft is going to get a collapsible section installed in it.

50-year-old German sheet metal meets 40-year-old Connecticut fiberglass sporting fake British emblems.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Well I took the entire front body off today which will make it much easier to cut loose the old fuel tank mount frame and rebuild the master cylinder.

I decided it’s much easier to turn the body up and rewire the instrument panel While sitting on a stool, as opposed to laying on my back all day. Wink

Whoever buys this car is going to hate me because I’m gonna wire it like a radio. No plugs & everything soldered point-to-point as much as possible
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Wow, incredible work. Keep the pics coming.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Will you come over and clean up my shop for me?
And rewire my car? Embarassed

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Wow, incredible work. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks Joey. It's just demolition so far. Putting it back together straight will be the challenge.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Will you come over and clean up my shop for me?
And rewire my car? Embarassed

It depends on what you're offering. Cool
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I got the cowl and the battery box removed from the frame pan and started cleaning up the rust and goo.

I’m starting to string out the frame and see how straight it is when I decided that I should torque down the front axle and welded appliance, first, just to make sure.

Holy Frijoles! Those SOBs were so loose I could visibly see the lockwashers uncompressed state on two of the bolts. All four of them turned freely as did the other four which mounted the beam axle assy to the appliance.

Anyhow here I’ve got the breaker bars out. Those bolts had several layers of paint dirt and rust, but it only hampered my efforts a little, once I broke out the big bars.

I cleaned all the rust off those bolts and inspected them for damage then I bolted the front and back together for now. I only put 65 foot-pounds on those eight bolts, because I’ll probably be taking it back apart for paint in short order.

In these photographs, you can see views of the welded appliance which stretches the wheelbase out on this car.

I’m sure glad I didn’t decide to just patch this car up and drive it, when I first bought the thing. The front axle was loose, the steering was all wonky, and I need to change every bit of rubber in the brake system.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Well, while examining the steering system, I discovered that when you make a full left turn (here, shown at 100% droop,) the Pitman arm hits the frame.

With a full right turn the left tire rubs on the upper swingarm.

At no point does the pitman arm come anywhere close to the steering stops.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I glued up a small crack in the left front fender today, roughed it up on the underside, and applied the first bit of fiberglass mat and epoxy to reinforce the area. It will be the first of several layers of reinforcement around the ugly hole where the steering shaft protrudes thru the fender. I can smooth out the ratty opening, but it will never look pretty. Here is the hole, from below with the car assembled, so you see the steering shaft and box arrangement.

This shows it from the top, when the car was assembled. It's a bit confusing as you're seeing the reflection too, from the fake chrome "radiator".

Because of the way the frame is extended, I think it would be possible to put a small rack & pinion unit on this car. Right now the steering box feels "repairable." In other words it is stiff, but not notchy. I will examine the guts before making further plans.

In any event, I will probably make a leather or TPR bellows or boot, to conceal the ugliness.

I see some minor seeping from the brakes, but they do hold pressure well.

I will probably keep all the brake cylinders and just give them a hone and new cups etc, unless I see some rust. Judging by what I see so far, this car didn't have any weather exposure after the conversion. New brake hoses are top priority. This car still has 40~50 year old hoses. Shocked
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

This shows where the crack was, drawn in red.

Of course that is the very weakest spot of the whole fender.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

that's quite a valuable car you have there Laughing see this advert
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1345920

they're asking over $60k Shocked

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Amazing. I can’t imagine any such prices out here.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

After gluing and sanding the crack, and adjacent area, I laid on the epoxy and 2 layers of glass mat. I allowed the first mat to cure 2 days, as it was small, and it was critical to the alignment of the fender.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I gave that last patch an extra day to cure while I changed the tie rods on my Tacoma. It looks really solid after trimming all the edges, but I will feather it, and give it more glass and epoxy, concentrating on the weakest section.

I have been cogitating on the idea of bobbing the pan, roughly along those string lines I show laid out a few posts above. I would re-edge the pan with pressed steel.

I truly want to ditch the napoleon hat & welded frame extension, and re-form the whole pan and tunnel forward of the battery box. It is an ugly structural hodge-podge that is crying out to be re-built.

I just don't have a good plan yet.

I suppose I could just go chop it off with the sawzall and force myself to proceed anyhow, but I had 2 grandkids graduate this week, and a third one got married. In the process It seems I've given away too much money and will be waiting another month for the new welder.
Braedonsz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

I've been on the hunt for information on VW based SS100 replicas and just came across this thread! I came into one recently by way of my Grandfather (Still with us thankfully, he's just no longer up for driving and maintaining the car!)

It looks to be a very similar kit to your own based on the photos you have posted, certainly some differences - but you know, kit car. My chassis seems to be a 70 or 71, getting its power from a DP 1600, but I haven't been able to find details on the kit itself - very interested in the contents of that manual you posted Very Happy

It's been kept in really good shape, all things considered. So far I've made my way through a bit of a hit list - I'm sure not looking forward to changing that shift rod bushing again 20 years from now...

Will drop some photos when I get a chance, but I might want to pick your brain on a thing or two if you don't mind!

Thanks for sharing as you walk through the project!
Braedonsz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Most of my photos are apparently of 'things that need to be addressed' Very Happy but here is her rear end;

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Sir, that is exactly the same car, in a different color, with different chrome accessories.

But I think it has the ball joint front suspension and independent rear suspension if it is that vintage Volkswagen. I have only driven my car a very short distance but I thought it was just incredible fun.

If there are particular areas of interest to you I can post up copies of some manual pages here. It’s useless to post the whole thing since a lot of it is patterns for work that has already been done on your car, And basic instruction on how to disassemble the Volkswagen.

Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Most of my photos are apparently of 'things that need to be addressed' Very Happy but here is her rear end;

I do see one distant difference and that is the suicide doors on your car.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: SS100 "replica" Kit Kar Reply with quote

Clearly, by this time, anyone who is hoping for a concise, informative, and entertaining thread will notice that this has turned into of the boring blog of my random work process.

I have decided that this windshield wiper motor needs serious reinforcement around it’s mounting points, and actually needs to be mounted at the (missing) third point. This is a pendulous weight and it will crack the fiberglass from wild vibrations if I try to drive his car. I feel lucky that so far, stress cracks are almost nonexistent and that most of the damage to the fiberglass was done at the assembly and not by driving the car in a poor structural condition.

On other fronts, I have been measuring and stringing this car to determine what to do with the steering. I was hoping to put R&P on it, but it’s starting to look more of a pita due to parts shortages.

In the process I determined that my frame head is a bit bent toward the right, due to ancient blacksmithery about and below the dreaded front “hat.” They patched the rusted floor-to-frame area back together while it was still crooked.

This is just ridiculous crude nonsense, and it will all have to change. I’m not gonna just shim the beam out straight, because the frame is not structurally adequate to remain straight under service.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 24

Jump to: