Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this rusty part??
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: What is this rusty part?? Reply with quote

This '70 is the second 'later model' Bug I've had that had rust under the fresh air box. I don't even know what it's called, but it's where the airbox drain exits under the gas tank. From the inside, it's right above the gas pedal in the center of the car. The water that leaks from the air box, fills up this little cavity, and rusts thru. I can't find any repair pieces for it, but I'd really like to know what it's called. Anyone have a guess?? I tried to post a photo, but it keeps locking me out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: What is this rusty part?? Reply with quote

I don't know what its called either, but my 68 was rusted out. When I replaced the forward bulkhead it was shaped different and that water trap did not fit. I had to do my own fabrication. I think previous owner left the car out in the open without the fresh air box, or its drain tube installed. So it rained in the louvers and just rusted inside the trunk.
I think if you install the drain tube (hose) from the fresh air box through that water trap, extending all the way through and out of the bulkhead, it will not rust out again. My water trap is part metal, part epoxy so if water does get in there, its not going to rust.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What is this rusty part?? Reply with quote

This seems like a part that should be reproduced for repair work. Most every one I see is rusted. Stupid idea, since all the joints leak water.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What is this rusty part?? Reply with quote

Modify it. Mine has a hole the tube goes through, with a lip. The lip will hold water until it gets deep enough. Move the hole down to get rid of the lip. Any water at all runs outside on the other side of the firewall. I did not modify mine, I kept the original German design intent.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this rusty part?? Reply with quote

Get an earlier hood with no hood vents. No water, no giant plastic contraption, no more rust. Well there will always be rust...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: