Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a little help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GL1000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Need a little help Reply with quote

I am helping an older couple sell their 1979 VW Convertible. It has spent most of it's life in their shop covered up They drive it on short trips around town a couple times a year. The car has a little over 4,900 miles (see photos).

It has never been wrecked or repainted; it's 100% original/stock. It looks new inside and out. I have not been able to find any similar VW's with this low of miles to get a good idea on value.

Can anyone help direct me to someone/place to get a fair and honest valuation?

Thanks
Rick Scott
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pekoe2053
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

This may help:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-volkswagen-beetle-convertible-24/
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

There have been several low mileage 79's sold by collectors in the last few years. The auction price seems to drop rapidly as the mileage goes up. Here's an Epilogue convertible with 2,000 miles less than your car. (2016 sale)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-vw-beetle-convertible/
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

This one probably gives you a good idea of lower end. Not in as good as shape/stock condition as your example, assuming the engine is clean. I think the black Epilogue ,all thing being equal (mileage/condition) is considered the most valuable of the late model verts.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-volkswagen-super-beetle-cabriolet-24/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GL1000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I plan to much closer to the lower end than the upper.
74VWSunBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

My Guesstimate would be $ 15,000 - 20,000.

Looks like a real sweetheart of a car, though yellow is not my personal taste. Guess that's why they offered them in several colors back in the day.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

I don’t know how quickly they want to sell it, but for a car that nice I would list it for 28 grand. If no one bites lower it three grand if no one bites lower it another three grand. I really wouldn’t take less than 20 for it though, it’s worth that easily. List it everywhere that you can think of.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

With mileage like that? $25,000 easy. Assuming the rest of the car looks like the photos you have shown.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

I also think with the mileage it will sell for over $20K. And there's a good chance it can get $25K or more.

Is the front passenger seat torn? If so, every little thing matters when the price is high.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

That's a time capsule !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

Nice car and if you have all of the documentation with the vehicle, no less than 20K. Any trunk engine photos?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help Reply with quote

Name your price, haggle from there.
No one in family interested in taking ownership?
It's an heirloom for sure !!!!!

Beautiful car from photos shown.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: