Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shiftrod set screw wire
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

What gauge wire is used for the set screw on shift rod coupling? Braided?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

.020-.040" solid wire, meant for the job lock wire is best but mechanics wire or any other thinnish wire like rebar tie wire will do.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

Thanks!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

Most don’t have any lock wire so anything you can find is better than nothing. That is unless you wire it backwards
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

A medium strength Loctite works fine
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

I just ordered a small amount of stainless steel lock wire from the McMaster Carr catalog.

It's cheap, and a really good thing to have a spool of laying around. You wouldn't believe how handy it is.

https://www.mcmaster.com/lock-wire/bend-and-stay-economical-430-stainless-steel-wire/

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
I just ordered a small amount of stainless steel lock wire from the McMaster Carr catalog.

It's cheap, and a really good thing to have a spool of laying around. You wouldn't believe how handy it is.

https://www.mcmaster.com/lock-wire/bend-and-stay-economical-430-stainless-steel-wire/

Thanks for the part #!

I have an order going in to MC this week. I have numerous things that need a lock wire. I have been cheating...and buying shitty stainless picture hanging wire from Ace hardware. OK in a pinch but one twist too far and its gone.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

Thanks for the part #!

I have an order going in to MC this week. I have numerous things that need a lock wire. I have been cheating...and buying shitty stainless picture hanging wire from Ace hardware. OK in a pinch but one twist too far and its gone.

Ray

Pick your poision... https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safetywire.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Cap10323 wrote:

Thanks for the part #!

Ray

Pick your poision... https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safetywire.php

Yep....its one of those things that I just need to order a spool of to have on hand. If you dont have in on hand ...when you finally do need it you will never have it.
The shift linkage on my 412...has two grub screws that get hammered so hard because the parts are flexible...that no locktite will ever work. The screws came drilled for wire from the factory....and I never have it in the toolbox...so I always have to scrounge Laughing

This thread was just a good reminder at the right time to just get some!
Ray
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Most don’t have any lock wire so anything you can find is better than nothing. That is unless you wire it backwards

So, not using the lock wire wont be an issue?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I'd always wire it myself but locktite would works fine or you can roll the dice.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I forgot to use the lock wire on mine, on my first test trip out it came loose and I lost all ability to shift. Luckily the screw didn’t fall out and all I had to do was screw it back in and I was good to go. Once I got home I used some safety wire. Why chance it over $11 for some safety wire?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
brownbus2 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I forgot to use the lock wire on mine, on my first test trip out it came loose and I lost all ability to shift. Luckily the screw didn’t fall out and all I had to do was screw it back in and I was good to go. Once I got home I used some safety wire. Why chance it over $11 for some safety wire?

Been there. I lost a pointed grub screw from my shift linkage somewhere between Atlanta and Birmingham Alabama many years ago...because I figured I could get away with it....with no wire.....thank God for the bucket of spare parts in the trunk. Ray
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: shiftrod set screw wire Reply with quote

yeah, I figured it was needed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: