Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pop out resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helirich wrote:
Glad I found this thread. It answered most all my questions. But I do have one on installing the seal. I noticed on the frame where the hinge is it looks like you could undue the screws and pull one side out an 1/8". Then you could feed the rubber in the groove without all the pressure. Maybe I'm way off base here. Has any body tried this?

I just go my pop outs and will be installing them after I get new seals.

Too tight of a fit.

You need to keep the rubber wet with soap and water all the time.

You will find that as you are using a roller to put the rubber in the groove that if you gently pull the rubber, stretching it a bit, keeping the angle as close to the frame as possible, as you are rolling it into the groove it will help.

After you are done you should slide the rubber a bit to even out the stretch that you have put in by pulling. You will note some distortion of the rubber seal/ flap... relieving some of the stretch helps.

Start the insertion with the seam of the rubber where the hinge is.
That will hide the seam... Makes for a nice install.

Here is an awesome video on how to do it! Doesn't get any better than this... And I have never used the silicone spray. I will do that next time!

Thanks to Chris at Classic VW.....

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv_XVO6Y-E8

Jim
Helirich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, can't wait to install!
santakart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve here I have a 69 and I am also looking into re doing the pop out seals, do you find there is an inner or outer to the seals or is it the same either way installed.

Thank you
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 seals, an inner and an outer. The inner is a nightmare to replace, so leave that one if it is not leaking. The outer is a pull of and squeeze and pry in job.

I'll ask again, the little metal backing plate that the screws go trough... I need dimensions for it.... W/D/H.

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
Helirich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the outer seal on one window. I used hand soap. Don't know if it was any help. I used a stubby screwdriver. It worked good, but I had to to push it in every width of the driver. Took about 40 min.

I watched a utube vid on this and they had excess that they had to work around even. Mine was tight perfect fit.

Hyperspace, I know I measured and posted your answer awhile back. I don't see the post here, so I must have it in another thread. If I don't find it, I will measure again tomarrow.
Helirich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyperspace, the measurements you wanted are on my last post on the thread "Pop out benefit"
Hyperspace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much oblidged, I think I have the perfect piece of stainless to make it with... (will miss you paint stirring thingy).

Photo's http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Hyperspace&show_results=summary
50sboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Rubber installation and removal Reply with quote

Just a tip....whenever you work on anything you don't want to scratch or bugger up, instead of using any metal tool (screw driver, spoon, knife, etc)...use plastic tools. Hard bondo spreaders work great and you can get plastic pick tools at most stores like home depot,etc. or you can borrow plastic spoons from your kitchen or even toy accessories from your kids (or grandkids!)
NaderChaser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Pop out latch screws Reply with quote

What size are the 3 little screws that attach the latch to the inside of the car. Mine is all metal-no headliner and I am having issues finding the scorrect soze of the little ones-there are 3 pre-drilled holes....
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pop out latch screws Reply with quote

NaderChaser wrote:
What size are the 3 little screws that attach the latch to the inside of the car. Mine is all metal-no headliner and I am having issues finding the scorrect soze of the little ones-there are 3 pre-drilled holes....

Are you talking about the latch or the hinge?

The 3 holes for the latch are really just dimples unless someone has mounted pop outs previously... The screws are sheet metal threads. So any taper head screw that fits into the latch and looks nice will work... Go to ACE or some hardware store....

If you are talking about the hinge then you should have the metal bar shown at the 5 min mark on this video... So if you are talking hinge and have the bar take it to the hardware store and find a metric screw that will fit.

Or order the latch kit.

Link

Jim
Molly1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

This is a great write-up! Thank you!
monokromatik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

Is there a step by step for replacing the inner seal?
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

monokromatik wrote:
Is there a step by step for replacing the inner seal?

Probably not.

Are yours really shot?
I would leave them alone if they are ok
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

I have a set of pop out I picked up online. They are used and one needs a new inner seal. Any tips? I know it's going to be a pain in the a$$ but if anyone has tips or tricks I would appreciate it.
bart44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

Haven’t found anything at all about doing the inner seals on these windows has anyone found anything? I would just like to know how to take it all apart so I can replace the glass with plexi so I can add some naca ducts to them.
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

I have not seen any info on replacing the inner window seals, but I can SURE tell you how to disassemble the window. Just pull out the four screws that hold the hinge/springplate to the window - it attaches the two ends of the aluminum frame together. The frame will separate slightly, and by easing it off to the side, you can remove the glass, and then the inner seal. I'd guess that you DON'T want to deform the frame too much while in the process,...
Hypothesis: seal goes on the glass, and then the unit is set in the frame (duh?). Sounds easy, huh? Hee, hee,...
Replacing with another material might be easier,...
Hope your projects came out well!
Todd.
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

Gosh! And I see that all you LUCKY fellows got used windows with 'easy to remove' seals! I got some very nice windows in the Samba classifieds, but the seals were like ROCK!! Seriously.
I dug out a cool tool from my box and broke off the outer portion of the seal:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I dug down the center of the groove in the frame with my trusty icepick, tearing out the center of the seal:

Picking the remaining edges of the seal from the grooves on either side took awhile,...total was about two and a half hours! But I got 'er done.
Lots of soap and water later, the windows were ready for the new seals.
I used an old rounded, plastic putty knife and brushed a concentrated dishsoap/water solution on the frame and edge of the seal as I went.
I was able to set one side of the "T" shaped edge of the seal in the frame groove, and then rock the tip of the putty knife to push the opposite edge into the other side of the groove. Second window seal took me only 15 minutes. First window took a bit longer, since I struggled with a corner for awhile before I realized that I had missed a small piece of the old seal. They look great now:

And, BTW, I thought I'd include a pic of one of those damned window latch clips, and from whence the little beggars come from:

As stated, squeezing the two sides of the glass/latch attachment allows for removal of the 'C' clip. I just used a rag and my channel locks to squeeze, and picked out the clip with a small screwdriver.
Hope this helps others,...
Todd.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

A quick bit of research brought me to this excellent thread. Thanks in advance to all of those who have shared info here.

I am about to embark on a very basic restoration of a pair of pop out windows for a 74 standard beetle. Not looking for perfection, just decent function. So I figured I would ask if there have been any changes to the recommendations of where to get the frame-to-body rubber seal? I see it mentioned a few times that the WW rubber (apparently the same as CIP1) had a tendency towards early failure. Any new news on that? Should I get it from WCM?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

The process has begun.

Rubber is on order. I went with WCM.

Stopped at a local junkyard today. I have bought stuff from this place many times over the years. Not much there for VW, but GM and Subaru is right in the wheel house. Thankfully, right near the front gate are two late model beetles with pop out windows. One is hammered dog shit, the other is a somewhat solid baja. The dog shit car has what I need.

Smashed and bent pop outs, but with all hardware present. I tell the hungover yard guy what I'm after, he's all in. I grab my tools and forge on.

Passenger side has no glass, and the frame is bent hell, but I just need the hinge, the plate, and the hardware. A tiny spider colony decided to hatch today, right on top of the quarter window, so now I am still feeling the need to brush them off, 12 hours later. But, I get what I need.

Driver's side. No spiders, and no glass, but there is a rope tied around the B pillar to the front gate of the junkyard. Apparently, this is some sort of back up to keep the wind from blowing the front gate to the ground. I untie, set the rope aside, and make a mental note to re-tie things when I am done.

Everything comes out OK, but I drop that silly little plate when I remove the last screw. Took some time to find it, but I heard it bounce off the aluminum beer can under the back set as it took its gravity dive into the depths. After a little diggin', it turns up amongst the detritus.

A few more screws later, and the stuff is all out. Now to re-tie the rope, maneuver my way back between the two stripped down CX500's, and find the stumbling guy to make the deal. I tell him what is what, and offer ten bucks for the pile of crap in the back of my Toyota. Done deal.

Now, for a before-and-after shots. the "before" hinges are not the actual hinges from the junkyard, but what the craigslist windows came with. Definitely more pitting, but not much different overall. It is amazing what some Flitz polish, some old socks, and some elbow grease will do for old chrome.

When the rubber parts order makes it here, I will share the trials and tribulations of assembly and install.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: pop out resto Reply with quote

Parts were delivered, rubber gaskets installed, glass was cleaned, aluminum was cleaned and polished as good as possible, and the latches installed through the glass with new rubbers. Boring stuff and no pics, but the install will happen soon. A few pics will happen then.

Honestly, the rubber install wasn't bad at all. Took some time, but I have done way worse jobs. Just needed a plastic tool, some simple green, and nice warm black rubber seals. Took maybe 10-15 minutes per side. And luckily, the old stuff peeled out in a few seconds.

Question, what do you guys use to REALLY clean the glass? I still have some hazy spots and marks that don't seem to come off with the regular stuff. Even used a nice fresh razor blade. It helped, but didn't finish the job.

Also, the aluminum frame around the glass really won't polish up. The outside is especially stubborn, and it seems the anodizing may be failing. If it cannot be saved and made shiny, that's OK, but if it can, I'd like to give it a try. I already scrubbed with a fine scotchbrite, then polishing compound, then some Flitz polish. Better than it was, but far from great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: