Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
I do the same as wildthings.

I have the greasyist Vaseline jar you have ever seen.

Just a note, I seldom use any lube at all, but when faced with something like fitting a Mercedes fuel filler hose to a somewhat larger diameter Bay fuel filler pipe, then some kind of lube is going to make your day easier.

WD 40 is good for hose removal as well. Spray the end of the hose, and then work a pick under the end of the hose, maybe spraying it again as you force the pick around and if possible twist the hose a bit. Again I usually don't use anything, but for that hose with horrible access a couple of burst with WD 40 spray can make things way easier.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

And slightly warming the hose when you need to push it on a very tight fitting works wonders.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
davlance01 wrote:
I do the same as wildthings.

I have the greasyist Vaseline jar you have ever seen.

Just a note, I seldom use any lube at all, but when faced with something like fitting a Mercedes fuel filler hose to a somewhat larger diameter Bay fuel filler pipe, then some kind of lube is going to make your day easier.

WD 40 is good for hose removal as well. Spray the end of the hose, and then work a pick under the end of the hose, maybe spraying it again as you force the pick around and if possible twist the hose a bit. Again I usually don't use anything, but for that hose with horrible access a couple of burst with WD 40 spray can make things way easier.
I have great success using WD-40 for Plastic Pipe Removal Connectors on modern vehicles that use an internal set of 0-rings to seal one pipe against the other. Evap and Coolant Connections are my primary enemy. As you noted, the spray sneaks in and makes a seemingly unremoveable connector finally get loose for you.
Silicone spray for that work doesn't work as good for me at all. You can't get too heavy handed with these types of connectors since it's easy to break the 'ears' that release or squeeze the connector, once those are broken, you are fighting the inner tension of the o-rings and no good way to reattach the connector pipe if the ears or tabs were the only thing holding the connection in tension. Mad Mad

Diesel Fuel Filter connectors are much the same for us as they use the same type piping and fragile connectors.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: lubricants used to install fuel and coolant hoses? Reply with quote

Golden Retriever dawg slobber
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: