Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderlust82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

I'm trying to replace the rear factory speakers. They sound crappy, and I have some 4" Rockford Fosgates that should fit nicely in there. The problem I'm having is getting inside the cabinet to remove the old speakers. Does anyone have a way to get in there that doesn't involve completely dismantling everything? (this was a photo that I ripped off another post, but is exactly what my setup looks like)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

I have similar speakers as shown in the photo, and I have to remove the grills in order to access the fasteners. Are you able to remove the grills?
wanderlust82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

That photo was not actually mine (as I'm not currently with the vehicle) but the setup is the same. The speakers I have in there are the stock ones, like the one in this photo. No I have not been able to remove the grill. I tried twisting them and they don't have much give at all.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

That one looks right (not like the first picture you used). On mine there is a threaded ring that hold the speaker in place. The easiest way to remove is to hold the ring and twirl the speaker -- but on an 84 that is easy as it had the big A/C grille rather than the smaller plenum opening so you can remove the grille and reach behind it. Not sure if there is room on yours for that access.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

I removed and replaced my stock rear speakers on my '87 without tearing the cabinet apart. I used Polk 4" speakers that surface mounted from the outside and used the factory wiring. Not easy, but certainly not impossible.

Here's my thread

Edit - The secret is to hold the hidden retaining ring stationary while unscrewing the speaker from the outer face. Be gentle with the wiring. Here's a pic from the passenger side. It is a tight fit for a large hand in there.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

I recently did this 1987-specific task.
At least for USA Westies:
1987 was the first year of the new A/C cabinet arrangement with the "plenum" air flow blocker.
1987 was the last year for the speaker style that uses the rear screw-on retaining ring.

SPEAKER REMOVAL:
1. Make a small tool with a stick and two small nails. This is used to engage the holes in the grille so you have something to turn with.
Make sure the nail heads will fit inside the speaker grille holes. Space the nail heads about the distance from one hole on the outer ring of holes to the opposite side. Just a little less than this distance works great since you can rotate the tool a little and catch the next hole. The heads only need to stick up about 1/4".
2. From under the rear hatch, remove the back cover from the A/C cabinet by unscrewing two large Phillips-head screws. These screw into tapped metal brackets, so there's no nut on the inside to hold or to get lost. Tip the bottom of the panel back so there's clearance to get it out of the van.
3. Once the inside of the A/C cabinet is exposed, vacuum up the debris from mice. Remove dehydrated dead mice if present.
4. Using two people, one engages a speaker with the grille tool made in step 1 and the other reaches from the back of the A/C cabinet up to the front to hold the retaining ring. The person at the rear hatch area will need to stand on a step-stool unless they are exceedingly tall. Once held from the back, the person in the front only needs to turn the speaker about 1/4 of a turn until it's loose enough for the rear person to spin the retaining ring off the back of the speaker. Don't just keep turning the front since you'll twist up the speaker wires.
5. Once the ring is off, the front person can pull the speaker through a couple inches and remove the speaker wires.
6. Repeat on the other side.

RE-INSTALLATION:
If you're re-installing speakers in this style of grille, installation is the opposite of removal, without the vacuuming, debris and dead mice part.

RE-USING OLD GRILLES:
If you're going for the OEM look you can pry out the old speaker from the grille. With a small screwdriver or tiny pry-tool, just pry a little bit at a time around the perimeter of the speaker. Don't rush and use too much force. You'll start hearing creeks when prying and within a minute the old speaker will be out.

This model of speaker is well known to fit inside these grilles once the original speaker is removed.
Kicker 47KSC3504
3-1/2"
2-way Speakers
They're a big improvement over the old originals, but not a real audiophile's choice.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

If replacing the speakers and a new head unit, does the wiring remain the same? I've recently read of a "floating ground", don't know what that is though.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
1987 was the first year of the new A/C cabinet arrangement with the "plenum" air flow blocker.

Jim Davis

Ths change was actually made mid year in 1986.

If you are changing your head unit you need to rewire so that there is a separate ground going to each speaker. At least that's what I needed to do on my late model '86. I believe the brown wire is a common ground.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing rear speakers in 87 Westy with A/C Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
SyncroHead wrote:

Jim Davis

Ths change was actually made mid year in 1986.

If you are changing your head unit you need to rewire so that there is a separate ground going to each speaker. At least that's what I needed to do on my late model '86. I believe the brown wire is a common ground.

Thanks. I haven't yet seen an '86 yet that had the newer style air-blocking plenum, but totally consistent for VW to make mid-year running changes like this.

Not sure when VW changed from a common (shared) rear speaker ground wire to separate pairs, but all 1987 and newer vans I've seen had the separate rear pairs.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: