Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This is why
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why Reply with quote

It looks like you need at least one hubcap, Jim. I think I have a couple that I would be happy to donate to the cause if you are interested. They are not perfect but definitely shiny and "driver quality". Let me know.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why Reply with quote

Thank for your kind offer. It does in fact need one more hubcap, I donated one myself and people have already been moved to donate other things. Eric at Bughaus has been great. I found a taillight at the swap meet and when I told the vendor he donated the part.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why Reply with quote

I would have already started sanding by now.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I would have already started sanding by now.
the good news is the bones of this car are good, very little rust and never hit 😀
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why Reply with quote

Today we attempted a brake job on the car, shoes,wheel cylinders, flex hoses, master cylinder, seal kits for swing axles and even new hardware and all of it chinese.

It all went together pretty well until we got to the master cylinder and had trouble connecting brake lines. After great difficulty and swearing it all went together then it was time to bleed brakes. This is when it became evident the MC was defective, did I mention temps in 90s with high humidity? This makes it more fun. The brand name on all this chinese junk is something called OE. I didn’t buy it but if you do be advised it’s shit even the hardware was wonky.

I’ve got some experience with VW repair and the guy I’m working with has even more. He ran a VW shop here for over 30 years, I continue to learn. Anyway the car beat us both down today, time to rest and regroup. 😀
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
You say it's pretty original and numbers matching. Cool.

What's the original mileage?

It's already been painted once it doesn't matter if you paint it again.
I mean let's be honest... It's a '66 and there are other super low miles all original ones out there.

Would I repaint it?
No because I'm generally lazy and would clean it up the best I could as-is and cruise it.
I can see a bunch if stuff I would do to make it look a lot better - new running board mats, massive clean up, all the normal mechanical stuff, etc. Redo interior too?

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier, the odometer is showing 65k and from the wear I’d say it might be 165k. The car is very original but was taken off the road in 1987 by the owner so it was a runner then it got locked away.
Thirty four years in storage in a garage. Back in 1987 there was still plenty of original cars around and cheap too😀

*update* on the ill fitting master cylinder. It was taken apart and the piston is machined to long so it doesn’t line up with the ports. He made some adjustment shortening the piston and now it appears to be working.

This is another case of just awful quality where the installer has to re engineer to make work. If someone else buys an OE brand chinese MC and has problems check here.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject: Sweet Survior Reply with quote

That's a nice one .

FAR better shape than my '59 # 113 .

I'd work that paint until it shone then wax it and replace all the rubber as I drove it everywhere with a big silly grin on my face .

I used to clean up and resale cars like this for $600 .

Those two oil coolers with top supports are 36HP Typ II, used to be lots of them, the lazy 'mechanics' would always toss the tubular support that goes to the upper left engine to tranny bolt .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: This is why Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
It's definitely been repainted at least once, the overspray on the heater hoses behind the dash gives it away.

this is a little bit of an aside.. but my 1967 has overspray on the underhood heater hoses too. I always assumed it was factory overspray simply because the car doesn't appear to have been repainted in any other aspect.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: