Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes!
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which front tire size?
155/0SR15
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
165/0HR15
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

Hi,

So I have a '67 Sunroof bug. It's getting a little refresh currently as well as a new engine. Stock ride height. I have Firestone 165's all around currently. The new engine is roughly 140HP maybe more. The current 165's rub in the front fenders on tight turns, which has always been a bit annoying. I have no desire to narrow my front beam, the tires already sit inside the front fenders pretty far plus I like these wheels.

I have four Porsche 356 Lemmerz style chrome wheels. They are the wide 5's. The rears are 5.5 x 15 and the fronts are stock size, 4.5 x 15.

I have decided on Veredestiens Sprint Classics. The rears I already bought are 185/0VR15
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vr...;tab=Sizes

The question is...
Do I go with 155's or 165's for the fronts???
I'm leaning towards 155's but I want to hear what people think and why. I bet they wouldn't rub (like my old 165's did) and would look good but I don't want them to be too skinny where the handling will suffer or the brakes will have issues locking up or something. If you don't care to explain but still have an opinion just cast a vote Very Happy

Here are the links to the two sizes

155SR15

165HR15

Thanks!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

idk about the tires themselves, but from what i understand a shorter diameter tire will grip better due to the sidewall not rolling as much.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

I guess my question would be is the width, the diameter, or the wheel offset that caused the rubbing. I've never had a VW that rubbed with 165 width tires. Unless you just want to revert to the 155 width, you may want to take a look at those things.
I always like to go as wide as possible on the front since most of the braking is done there, so personally I would go with 175/70-15.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

Well damn. Ya not sure why these 165's are rubbing. Might be some 67 only thing with the front beam or something? The wheels are stock. The current tires are the Firestone one's that a lot of people use, sort of the most common/standard stock like VW bug replacement tire now.

I've read smaller tires in the front will improve handling on a Bug just because of the way the car is designed? What's the deal with that?

I'm not going be driving that hard and I know lots of people use tiny tires like 135, 145 or whatever in the front, paired with 185s or 195s in back. And those tiny smart tire versions are ussually smaller diameter / short sidewall. I'm not really a fan of the majorly lowered look at all tho.

I like the tires just because they are very period correct for the car and others 60's European sports cars, and Porches. They are a very highly regarded tire as far as performance goes as well.

The 155's are also 30 bucks cheaper each and I think would kind of look better on the 4.5" width stock rims. It's tough. I've read that skinny tires in the front can improve handling on these cars but haven't done much research myself into the physics behind that or whatever.

Keep the opinions coming please, I need to order one or the other in the next few days.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

165R15 will only rub on the inner fender at full lock on stock height Bugs, which is not a BFD.
I have 185X60 & 205X70 on my lowered squareback with Fuchs 2.0 liter wheels.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
165R15 will only rub on the inner fender at full lock on stock height Bugs, which is not a BFD.
I have 185X60 & 205X70 on my lowered squareback with Fuchs 2.0 liter wheels.

Ya, that is was I was experiencing. It's very slight and only at the tightest turn radius. There is a very windy road I need to take to get to my house so that's why it got slightly annoying but I can live with it. Also as a daily driver maneuvering through the traffic here, it happens a fair amount.

I thought there might be a benefit to having skinnier tire in the front tho. But now I'm starting to think 165s might be better... I really don't know.

Skinnier tires in the front where there is less weight will make it feel more nimble I imagine. But I don't want to be sliding/skidding when I brake. I'm not an aggressive or fast driver, but stuff happens and other idiot's on the road, etc.

I'm putting the 185s I already have on the back, so the rear size is already decided. I guess I'm wondering what front size would pair best with that rear size.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

It will handle/corner/stop better with bigger tires.
It won't get pushed around as much in cross winds etc.
Try your 185's in the front.
If you like them up front you could buy 205's etc for the back.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
It will handle/corner/stop better with bigger tires.
It won't get pushed around as much in cross winds etc.
Try your 185's in the front.
If you like them up front you could buy 205's etc for the back.

Thanks for the input!

These 185s Veredestiens are the classic full 80 diameter profile, where yours are much shorter sidewall at 60. Being taller I think they would rub pretty bad up front.

I think I will go for the 165's

Last edited by evanfrucht on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there an adjustable stop for the pitman arm? MAybe you just need to adjust that a half turn to keep the tire from rubbing

FYI on the smaller (narrower) tires, they will run at a higher slip angle, so effectively you have a bit more understeer to counteract the swig axle tendency to go into snap oversteer when unloaded. Same reason they run significantly lower pressure in the front. That was an old autocross trick for stock bugs, pump the fronts up to match the rear, it made it easier to rotate the tail end...as long as you didn't overdo things LOL
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

Well damn. I'm still kinda torn. All the comments say 165, BUT the only 2 votes are for 155...

The 155's are slightly smaller in diameter (about 1 inch) so it would give me a very slight, barely noticable rake, which I think I would actually like. BUT again, I want it to corner well and not skid when I push the brakes. I have drum brakes BTW.

Has anyone used this kind of tire combo? Slightly bigger than stock rears with slightly smaller than stock fronts. Classic radial style full 80% profile size.. Stock height Beetle. What sizes did you go with?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Having a really hard time deciding between two front tire sizes! Reply with quote

I ended up going with 185/80R15 for rear (these are big tall tires!)

For front I kept it at 165/80R15. Something just felt right about that combo.

I like my classic cars to have a tire with a proper fatty sidewall Twisted Evil

I'm thinking about putting some drop spindles on the front I'm the future but 2.5 inch drop is a little low for my taste. I wish they made 1.5 drop spindles...

I had a crazy idea of using 2.5 drop spindles and then doing the "cut and twist" to a front beam but opposite how its normally done.... so in other words... lower it with the drop spindles and then actually raise it up about an inch from there with the front beam. For a net effect of 1.5 lowered.

I thought that actually might work well because the drop spindles won't affect steering geo, but raising it with a front beam will actually improve handling by reducing oversteer... does this make any sense ?????
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: