Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

So I have a `66 ghia vert that has (what I am told) the 12V option which was apparently available in ghias. The trans is set up for 12V with a 12V starter and bushing and large bell housing opening. The vehicle came with no engine. I am making a rat driver out of it.

I have a great running low mileage rebuilt 6V 1200 engine from a `65 beetle I would like to use in this car. Trying to figure out the easiest way to do the install. I was considering a couple options but had a couple questions.

-the engine has a 6V flywheel on 40hp 64mm crank. Can a later 12V flywheel be used on this engine and swap rest of engine bits to 12V?

-If I decided to go 6V and leave the engine alone, can I run a 6V starter in a 12V trans? This would be kind of a reverse what is usually done. I have seen a very thin bushing to convert but heard these get torn up quickly and can ruin the trans case. Does anyone make a 6V starter with a 12V size armature tip for smaller bushing in 12V cars? I heard at one time someone on the samba was selling 6V starters modded to fit into 12V transmissions. Anyone know who that was?
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

If this is a long-term solution and you’re not planning to disassemble the engine, you can have a 12 volt ring gear put on the 40hp flywheel. I had rimco do one for a 36hp a few years ago and it turned out nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
-the engine has a 6V flywheel on 40hp 64mm crank. Can a later 12V flywheel be used on this engine and swap rest of engine bits to 12V?

Any 12v flywheel you're likely to come across will be an o-ring type. To fit this type of flywheel to your engine will require the flywheel be machined to fit the stepped crankshaft -- it's not a simple bolt on. Obviously the endplay will need to be checked and adjusted when swapping out a flywheel, which also brings with it the problem of finding suitable 40hp size endplay shims.

tristanblue wrote:
-If I decided to go 6V and leave the engine alone, can I run a 6V starter in a 12V trans?

Yes, a 6v starter can be used in a 12v trans if an appropriate sized conversion bushing is used or you open up the bushing hole in the trans to the size found on 6v units, a standard 6v bushing can then be installed. Another option is to track down one of the uncommon self-supported 6v starters.

Matthew's suggestion to swap out the ring gear may well be your best option.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

Converting the 40hp to 12V looks like it would be too much of a hassle considering this engine is fully restored and already 6V. I think keeping it as-is 6V and modifying a 6V starter to work with the trans.

I know thing 12-6V bushing conversion does not really work well due to thickness of the 12V bell housing opening and then opening up the bushing hole. It usually breaks through the casting or if you use the super thin conversion bushing it just wears out in a few months and starts eating away the trans material. Seen that happen years back.

The guy solved the problem and purchased a rebuilt 6V starter here on from a Samba member who turned the tip if the armature down on a lathe and it fits right in the 12V starter bushing. Worked perfectly. Would like to find out who that was if they are still around and doing this, he doesn't remember.

I could possibly just take a starter apart myself and have a machine shop turn it down but always seems that ends up being a cluster f-ck Laughing
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

If installed corrcorrectly and greased, conversion bushing will not wear out any sooner than the stock set up
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
If installed corrcorrectly and greased, conversion bushing will not wear out any sooner than the stock set up

Sorry but that is absolute hogwash. This is NOT the thicker bushing going from 6V to 12V this is the paper thin one going from 12V to 6V. They fail because they are far too thin for proper strength, they will last a little while but always fail down the road. These are so thin you can actually crush it between your fingers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is one that has failed
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

I'm aware of how thin they are, ive been messing with these cars for over 40yrs, never had one fail. Not trying to cause an arguement, just trying to give you an easier solution to a custom/expensive starter or flywheel swap.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
Converting the 40hp to 12V looks like it would be too much of a hassle considering this engine is fully restored and already 6V. I think keeping it as-is 6V and modifying a 6V starter to work with the trans.
:

Wait - Isn’t the car 12 volt? I’d think it’s more of a hassle converting the car than the engine. Plus the 12V system is far easier to live with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
I'm aware of how thin they are, ive been messing with these cars for over 40yrs, never had one fail. Not trying to cause an arguement, just trying to give you an easier solution to a custom/expensive starter or flywheel swap.

My father ran (retired) a restoration shop since 1988 and dealt primarily with VWs. He is my source of info on this. He said those bushings are far to thin and can will fail far too soon. He had tried them on 2 different occasions and both failed down the road and cost him extra work and labor because of these bushings. After that he started using the rebuilt, machined starters from a vendor here on the samba they worked perfectly with never an issue or return. If VW would have thought bushings that thing would work they would have probably done so saving on materials/cost.

Problem is he does not recall this vendors info and apparently is no longer advertising in classifieds. I do not want to waste time doing a half assed empi repair with that paper thin bushing I am just going to take a couple 6V starters I have apart and have armatures machined locally.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

funny that you come here to ask, then diss someone suggesting something because of 3rd hand knowledge from your father. I agree, Never had a problem with one of those conversion bushings, I would even suggest a saxomat starter but whatever, sounds like you have the end all source of knowledge at your finger tips, no need to ask here
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
funny that you come here to ask, then diss someone suggesting something because of 3rd hand knowledge from your father. I agree, Never had a problem with one of those conversion bushings, I would even suggest a saxomat starter but whatever, sounds like you have the end all source of knowledge at your finger tips, no need to ask here

No what is funny is people like you who think just because someone gives an answer on here it is the RIGHT way to do it. Lotsa folks post lotsa answers on here that are wrong way to do things. But hey if the bushing works for you guys have at it! Lots folks use crap ass Empi fix it shit and lotsa folks moan cry how there VWs break down all the time.

I know lotsa cry babies on here with the cancel culture going on. Everyone has to be right I guess. If you don't like my posts and replies then just keep on moving next time you see my name.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
Teeroy wrote:

My father ran (retired) a restoration shop since 1988 and dealt primarily with VWs. He is my source of info on this. He said those bushings are far to thin and can will fail far too soon. He had tried them on 2 different occasions and both failed down the road and cost him extra work and labor because of these bushings. After that he started using the rebuilt, machined starters from a vendor here on the samba they worked perfectly with never an issue or return. If VW would have thought bushings that thing would work they would have probably done so saving on materials/cost.

Problem is he does not recall this vendors info and apparently is no longer advertising in classifieds. I do not want to waste time doing a half assed empi repair with that paper thin bushing I am just going to take a couple 6V starters I have apart and have armatures machined locally.

You are exactly right and this was shown to me years back. How elegant and simple just turn down the thicker 6 volt shaft to 12 volt spec. So simple nobody thinks of it. The real thin conversion bushing is complete crap and will fail.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

when you get your armature back check for these 3 things.

1. make sure the shop didnt get or leave swarf or oil residoo on the armature.

2. make sure they didnt chuck up the outside of the armuture bare and scuff it.

3. check to see how good the surface finish is and how well it fits into the bushing.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

Why would anyone want to mess with bushings or turning the starter support shaft when you can buy an auto stick starter that does not have a support shaft and requires no bushing for $50 at Orielleys with a lifetime warranty?

There are hard ways of doing things and there are smart ways of doing things.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

hes using a 6v flywheel and no one makes a self supporting vw starter with the 6v gear.

if he had a 12v flywheel it would be a different story.

i actually just bought one of those for my car from O reillys.

the first one i bought was crap. complete mushy dog crap. the paint was flaking off, it came to me rusty, the two bolts holding the motor housing on were no joke loose and the threads came stripped.

so i took it in for exchange and what i got was GOLD. nice durable paint, NEW style selenoid, Torques fasteners all over the place(not flat heads), and it spins over real fast.

this is for the ultima brand. idk about the $180 bosch ones.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"

Last edited by Chickensoup on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

Ahhh, I stand corrected. Continue doing things hard way. Smile
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

Hybrid starter seller is this guy:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Wayne+S.+Johnson
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

AirHead1966 wrote:
Why would anyone want to mess with bushings or turning the starter support shaft when you can buy an auto stick starter that does not have a support shaft and requires no bushing for $50 at Orielleys with a lifetime warranty?

There are hard ways of doing things and there are smart ways of doing things.

Because if you actually took the time to actually read the thread and educate yourself a 40hp with a 64mm crank has a 6V flywheel not a 12V and NO you can not easily just swap a 12V flywheel on to a 64 mm crank. So a 12V auto stick starter is useless.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Hybrid starter seller is this guy:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=Wayne+S.+Johnson

Thanks but nope, I already contacted this fellow before posting and he is not the guy. This seller had never heard of the mod and does not do it nor have the ability to.

It was around 2000 when my dad was last in contact with the guy, so he may not even be alive anymore. The last one he used was on a `51 Sunroof split that was on a `67 pan he restored. Had a custom dual carb 36hp set up in it.

tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 6V engine / starter in 12V transmission ?? Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
when you get your armature back check for these 3 things.

1. make sure the shop didnt get or leave swarf or oil residoo on the armature.

2. make sure they didnt chuck up the outside of the armuture bare and scuff it.

3. check to see how good the surface finish is and how well it fits into the bushing.

Great tips thanks, I will do!

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

You are exactly right and this was shown to me years back. How elegant and simple just turn down the thicker 6 volt shaft to 12 volt spec. So simple nobody thinks of it. The real thin conversion bushing is complete crap and will fail.

Thumbs up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: