Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: 73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement Reply with quote

I am preparing myself to rewire a 73 SB and also will be removing the gas tank to clean and replace any fuel lines or gaskets involved, with hopes of diminishing the fuel smell that occurs in the cab. Any advice on either of these projects is welcome but what im really asking right now is, to anyone who has delt with either of these issues, what are some things you wish you had done while you had parts removed in order to avoid having to go back into the ar again? Basically what can I do while I'm in there that could be beneficial to me? Thanks.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement Reply with quote

First off WELCOME!! For the wiring harness, take pictures of the fuse box and write everything down (to and from). Get a wiring diagram and have it blown up. This way it will be easier to follow. Just be aware that the wire harness kits do not come complete, certain circuits like ignition and turn signal do not come in the harness. When installing the grounds make sure you clean and polish the tabs for good ground and use dielectric grease to protect the connection.

For the fuel system: replace all the fuel lines with new from the tank to the engine. Install fuel filter under the tank just before the tunnel. As far as the filler replace all the rubber with new and replace the vent hoses all the way to the engine. you will find a procedure here on The Samba. Replace the fuel level sensor seal with new.

All parts needed you can find at Wolfsburg West, CIP1. Hose you can find at Belmetric and remember hose clamp where needed.
polypetalous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement Reply with quote

I just recently removed and cleaned the gas tank in my '74 SB...
I do wish I woulda done some of the steering box, steering knuckle, shaft work/maintenance while I had the tank out.

Not that its hard to remove the tank...after all I did leave a fair amount of slack on the hose coming out of the gas tank so I could "raise the tank" in the future if I had to...

I also, cleaned out the main steel fuel line in the tunnel, using some Berryman and compressed air.... replaced ALL rubber fuel lines too.

Ben
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement Reply with quote

Sounds like a very good start. Did you replace all the rubber hoses at the filler and vent. The expansion tank/tube all the way to the vapor canister and the 2 larger hoses to the engine. Make sure the metal vapor lines are clean and clear. If not replace with 3/16" metal brake line.
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement Reply with quote

I am sure you know by now, but the front harness is not available aftermarket. I wound up removing my original one and laying out longways on a 2 x 4 (2x 4's were cheaper then than now!). I then took another 2 x 4 and at the critical branch points drove in a pair of nails as holding spots topped with a rubber band. I then basically recreated the original factory harness side by side leaving a little extra length, etc. In the end it came out fairly nice (not perfect) and was worth the effort. I got all my wire from riwire.com and they were great to work with...had most of the original color options, etc and good quality. Also, go ahead and invest in barrel crimp terminals and the tool so you can do it right. I bought my stuff from ferrulesdirect.com and was happy with their stuff. In the end I have a nice reproduction of the front in wiring harness that should be good for another 50 yrs. The rear end harness that WW sells is nice and easy to install.

Hope this helps.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement Reply with quote

If you call WW they will make you one or at least that was what I was told about 9 months ago.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement Reply with quote

While the fuel tank is out, thoroughly inspect the steering components. Some are only accessible with the tank out.
Nickstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 sb rewire / fuel system cleanse and replacement Reply with quote

All of this is very helpful, some of it i knew, some of it i didn't. Either way thanks for your time and help. It will be a month or so before I get started but ill let you all know how it goes and if I can contribute anything else to the process. Awesome community, thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: