Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pre 57 Headlining Samples Required Please
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Pre 57 Headlining Samples Required Please Reply with quote

Do you have an original headlining from your pre 1957 Beetle, or the remains, that you no longer need? Condition is unimportant, as we are having them analysed for fibre content, fibre count, and construction, and samples will be subject to various tests, mainly destructive. The more verification samples we can acquire, the better, and we'll pay the postage to get to us here in the UK. Many thanks if you can help.

The aim, and we are well underway now, despite the Covid hurdles, is to manufacture headlining material which truly replicates what was originally used in Beetles (and maybe vans if samples can be obtained). Hopefully, by the end of the year we'll be able to supply, in small numbers to begin with, complete kits, ready to fit 1945 to 1963 Beetles, including sunroof models.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre 57 Headlining Samples Required Please Reply with quote

I have some original headlining from a US spec 1956 sunroof beetle. I'm in Baltimore, USA. How much would you need for your analysis?

Paul Rubenson
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pre 57 Headlining Samples Required Please Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Of the analysis places I've been in contact with, including the Textile Dept of a large University here in the UK, all say that they need about 1 metre of fabric, which is quite a lot in my view, and has taken all the fabric I have from my own sunroof!

As they should be able to get all information they require from this, I would imagine that for comparative purposes, a piece a foot long would be fine. Also of interest, are those corners/edges of cloth that have been hidden from sunlight/smoke, and still exhibit the original characteristics, such as colour, and the amount of nap https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nap_(fabric) which is the slight fuzzy layer on the original cloth.

The manufacturers are all ready to go, and waiting for the green light but we need to be sure that we have as much evidence as possible before production. This is a joint project with Dylan Cheasley, who is well known for his excellent carpets, and now that he has retired in the traditional sense, has the time to devote to this project, along with the carpets. It wont be mass manufacture, but quality is the byword. Below is Dylan recently removing the headlining from my 47.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Pre 57 Headlining Samples Required Please Reply with quote

Doesn't Marcus already produce the exact headliner material? Any reason to reinvent the wheel?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pre 57 Headlining Samples Required Please Reply with quote

We'll let customers decide that, and provide them with another choice to those already in existence. It's also intended to run 3 weekend schools a year, where people who wish to change say a headlining themselves, can bring their cars along, and do so under guidance, with all the tools and parts needed.

We have one customer who bought a new headlining 5 years ago, and has never had the nerve to fit it himself, who says that he would relish such a service. Early days, and we'll see what demand there is for this.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre 57 Headlining Samples Required Please Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
We'll let customers decide that, and provide them with another choice to those already in existence. It's also intended to run 3 weekend schools a year, where people who wish to change say a headlining themselves, can bring their cars along, and do so under guidance, with all the tools and parts needed.

We have one customer who bought a new headlining 5 years ago, and has never had the nerve to fit it himself, who says that he would relish such a service. Early days, and we'll see what demand there is for this.

i like the installation assistance idea. maybe i would get my 53 sunroof back on the road, too.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: