Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 wheel opinions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: 69 wheel opinions Reply with quote

I did a super quick hatchet job, to see where I'm at. I'm very visual. The color is wrong, it should be a burnt sienna if I remember back to my box of 64, that I probably got for Christmas,lol.
Let me know what ya, like I'm undecided. Is still an option.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200

Last edited by Dan the workingstiff on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel onions Reply with quote

I like the red in the middle better than the red on the outside or the black. I would stick with that.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel onions Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
I like the red in the middle better than the red on the outside or the black. I would stick with that.

+1
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel onions Reply with quote

My preference would be the red outers and black centers. I actually painted a set of rims like that about 20 yrs ago, using a "tomato red" spray can. After a few months I painted the red to a light grey, and kept the black centers. Having a lighter color in the outer section makes a big visual break to the black sidewalls.
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel opinions Reply with quote

I agree wit Rome. Have you considered red outer rim and white center, or vice-versa? Might look good if you're going for the "hot rod" look...
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel opinions Reply with quote

johnnyvw164 wrote:
I agree wit Rome. Have you considered red outer rim and white center, or vice-versa? Might look good if you're going for the "hot rod" look...

Lol, no I only have 1 spare. I'm interested though....
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel opinions Reply with quote

Try two rims painted one way on the drivers side and two painted the other way on the passenger side and see how long it takes people to notice! On a black bug I like silver rims with hub caps and trim rings. That's just me.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel opinions Reply with quote

Igpoe wrote:
Try two rims painted one way on the drivers side and two painted the other way on the passenger side and see how long it takes people to notice! On a black bug I like silver rims with hub caps and trim rings. That's just me.

That's what I did, see pics above. I'm to visual to just go with something.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel opinions Reply with quote

I kinda like both ways. Ive got red smoothies with caps and trim rings on my Texas Yellow Super which when I first did it I was expecting people to dislike it. I was wrong!
When it comes to color, do what YOU like!
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel opinions Reply with quote

My wife just saw the pictures and chose red in the middle also because "It reminds me of a ladybug." That should settle it. Wink
clockworkbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 69 wheel onions Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Having a lighter color in the outer section makes a big visual break to the black sidewalls.

I think so as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: