Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

Lots of information oil breathers. Venting cases etc.

I am going to give a set of Kadrons a try and I am wondering what is the best way to vent the oil vapors?

Simple, would be "T" off from the current filter spigot to each air filter. Done and done.

But I see many different setups that could work. Is one better than another or are they all about the same?

I am working with a 1600 stocker. Valve covers don't leak. No oil pooling in the valve covers.

I see cb and empi towers, small boxes, big boxes. Some have 4 fittings. Some have 6. Porsche style. Gene Berg. Etc

My valve covers aren't vented and from what I read its not necessarybut I could vent them. Who knows

I am leaning toward using a "box" (mounted to firewall). Venting to the box and then two each air cleaner. (YES I know don't dump that dirty air into your carbs. Understood. But hopefully the box or whatever will offer some air "scrubbing").

CSP makes some cool looking minimalist boxes but I am guess plain Jane
generic box would work just as well.

I do like the Porsche style towers but Gene is too expensive for me and I not sure how such towers are "cleaned"?? I am guessing removed and flushed?

Ideas? Thoughts? Complaints?

Thank you in advance D74
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

Older Kad sets had a large pipe welded to the underside of the right air cleaner's base plate. You can see it in this photo-https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2477624

Those were sufficient for me, on stock-displacement engines with near-stock internals. Use the same 1/2" ID hose going off the factory oil filler breather pod. KaddieShack should have a single one for sale in case your Kad set does not have that style base. My engines also had the pod which utilized the metal vent pipe going down next to the oil dipstick, for the water vapor exit.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

I run two road draft tubes from the top of an Empi breather on my 1835. Hoses are both 1/2" id which may be overkill for a 1600 but I'd never run that moisture laden sludge through my webers!. I don't have any breather issues, but I don't travel unpaved roads either.
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

Thank you. Yes I understand the general "plumbing" but I am curious if i should install some type of breather box between the oil vent and the air filter? and if so, what is the best solution?? tower? box? and should i bother venting valve covers etc?
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

Stock 1600 really not necessary to install a breather box.
Greta and environmentalists will be happy if you eliminated the puke tube that vents to the road. The CB breather tower unit vented to one of your carbs should be enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

Vent it to the atmosphere, ie under the car. Why put dirty oil mist filled air down your carb?

I stumbled upon this some time ago. I never bought or needed it since I made my own breather and never tired this one, so I cannot give a review of it... just pointing out that it exists. Might not be the best quality but for 60 bucks and free returns it could be worth talking a chance on, at least just to see how bad or good it actually is and whether it fits properly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Breather-Tower-Fits-A...890.l49286
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

Unless you are running a serious engine, putting out big HP at high RPMs then a breather box and vented rocker covers are nothing more than eye candy. You are talking Kadrons so I am 99% sure that is not the engine you have.

Also venting the crankcase into the carb AFTER the filter element, as pointed out a couple posts up, is an invitation to a bunged up and rusty carb. NO car manufacturer does that so why would you?
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

I guess if anything I could just run catch can in between the oil vent and air filter(s). spend my money on something more productive. I have a cool saikou miche catch can that was on my f150. Smile Very Happy

and correct not a heavily modified engine.

I just have a cb gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. Razz

d74
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Vent it to the atmosphere, ie under the car. Why put dirty oil mist filled air down your carb?

I stumbled upon this some time ago. I never bought or needed it since I made my own breather and never tired this one, so I cannot give a review of it... just pointing out that it exists. Might not be the best quality but for 60 bucks and free returns it could be worth talking a chance on, at least just to see how bad or good it actually is and whether it fits properly.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Breather-Tower-Fits-A...890.l49286

I ran one of these on my '67 1776 car and it worked great. Painted it black and ran the two outlets to the valve covers. Loved the look and functioned well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
denver_74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

I get that but is that part of the crankcase ventilation process? The carbs provide some "suck" to help vent the vapors. The idea "clean" the dirty air before its pulled into the carb.

I am honestly on the fence regarding this subject. I vent the gases from my triumph to open air (hose from case to small K&N). I have a catch can on my truck.

My current filler has a road tube and a vent port which goes to the air cleaner.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

It has nothing to do with crankcase ventilation unless a PCV valve is involved. If you had a stock oil bath cleaner that would be different as well.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

Stock air cooled VWs in my country never had a PVC system, just a breather. At least not up until '73 or so. All they had was a road breather and a tube into the OUTSIDE part of the air cleaner. Never the carb side! No car or truck company does that.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

BYeaton wrote:

I ran one of these on my '67 1776 car and it worked great. Painted it black and ran the two outlets to the valve covers. Loved the look and functioned well.

Connecting the vents on the breather to the valve covers creates a closed system with no breathing at all. Something, somewhere needs to be open to the atmosphere.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

do not vent it to the carbs at all. you do not want oil vapors in the chambers to cake up, make hot spots or caking up on the backs of the intake valves.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Another oil breather thread - venting to Kadrons. Reply with quote

^^I agree with Mr. Tucker on this one^^

Just went thru the whole ventilation thing with my recent 1776.

Had one of those older Kadron lower breather tubes and it spit enough goo to the carb that i took it off.

Have one of those earlier factory filler doohickies without the road draft tube.
40-horse motor is what it's from IIRC?? Think
Anyways, road draft drip tubes are stupid IMO.
Voluntarily dripping oil out a tube isn't the smartest way of handling the issue.

My 1776 isn't fully broken in, but still, this one tube wasn't enough to keep the goo at bay.
The valve cover gaskets were trying to suck in, pulley drip, etc.

I'm convinced a counterweighted crank increases breather issues but couldn't say why.
Might just be that a motor with a counterweighted crank gets beaten on more.. Razz

With no draft tube, and one of those cheapie breather boxes, i have it nutted by venting the right valve cover and the fuel pump block-off in addition to the factory breather.
The left valve cover was left un-vented to help push the traditionally too-full left rocker box oil back to the sump.

The breather box has the normal gap between the box and lid for breathing,
and i have one of those woven 'Chore Boy' pot scrubbers in the box to help separate the oil from the mist on it's way out.

So far, running on the highway has left no oil mist out the breather, no goo in the carbs, no drips out the draft tube on the ground, and no leaks on the engine.

Those old silly breather boxes actually do work for a smaller/milder motor!

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: