Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

I just installed new front Bilstein B6 shocks. There’s some improvement but I’m still hitting the bump stops on compressions so thinking I need to take Go-Westies advice and correct the front end height to compensate for the characteristic torsion bar suspension sag that happens after a year or two.

I read enough to know there’s some risk of the torsion bar popping out of the frame or the thread stripping off and yes I have spray down the torsion bar adjustment nuts with WD-40 and I will wire brush them and spray them again.

My question is how do I determine proper height of the front end of the van while I am adjusting the torsion bars? Complicated by the recommendation that they just made while the van is on jackstands with the front wheels/tires off the ground.

Suggestions??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

First off, penetrating oil like Kroil for those nuts, WD40 is a protectant, not a penetrant. Best penetrant is a 50-50 mix ( emulsion) of acetone and ATF
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
First off, penetrating oil like Kroil for those nuts, WD40 is a protectant, not a penetrant. Best penetrant is a 50-50 mix ( emulsion) of acetone and ATF

And some would say a questionable protectant although I’ve used it successfully for cleaning and protecting motorcycle chains in the past. Most of us car guys know that WD-40 was developed as a water dispersant, and the marketing dudes took it from there. I found some ATF this morning and I’ve got some acetone so I’ll give that mixture a try thanks for the tip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

I don't know if you have the room for this suggestion, but it is what I did fairly recently. My van is already raised a bit and I had done a number of maintenance fixes to the suspension so I needed to readjust and even out both sides.

With the front wheels on the ground and suspension fully loaded I am able to squeeze under the van and reach the torsion bar nuts. Using a measuring tape put the end of the tape against the top shock mounting plate and measure the distance to the bottom shock bolt. I used the top of the bottom bolt because it was easier for me to get a good measurement. Do it exactly the same on the left and right and that should give you good measurement.

The actual value, according to Bentley is an alignment spec based on your vehicle group. For instance, I'm group 5 and the empty value is 257 mm, full load is 248 mm. I don't remember my actual value, it's more than 257. Bentley also mentions rolling the van forwards and backwards about 2 m before measuring again. I didn't bother with this, I just evened both sides to the highest value and I was done. Also note, this will change your front end alignment so you should plan on having that checked after this.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

bigfoot_ev wrote:
I don't know if you have the room for this suggestion, but it is what I did fairly recently. My van is already raised a bit and I had done a number of maintenance fixes to the suspension so I needed to readjust and even out both sides.

With the front wheels on the ground and suspension fully loaded I am able to squeeze under the van and reach the torsion bar nuts. Using a measuring tape put the end of the tape against the top shock mounting plate and measure the distance to the bottom shock bolt. I used the top of the bottom bolt because it was easier for me to get a good measurement. Do it exactly the same on the left and right and that should give you good measurement.

The actual value, according to Bentley is an alignment spec based on your vehicle group. For instance, I'm group 5 and the empty value is 257 mm, full load is 248 mm. I don't remember my actual value, it's more than 257. Bentley also mentions rolling the van forwards and backwards about 2 m before measuring again. I didn't bother with this, I just evened both sides to the highest value and I was done. Also note, this will change your front end alignment so you should plan on having that it checked after this.

So I have a 2003 MV. My goal is to get the front end of the van back up to its original spec Heights. would I shoot for 257 mm between the shock top plate and the top of the lower bolt?
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:

So I have a 2003 MV. My goal is to get the front end of the van back up to its original spec Heights. would I shoot for 257 mm between the shock top plate and the top of the lower bolt?

I'm not that familiar with what makes up the various 'alignment groups' in the front end alignment specs, but I have a 2003 Wkdr and I'm group 5. I found it by looking at the sticker on the bottom of my fuse panel, in the Type section, K5. If you are group 5 (highly likely) then yes 257 mm is the measurement.

Having said all that, I don't think it makes that much difference. People raise and lower these vans all the time. I'm currently at 263 mm to the top of the bolt and thinking about going a tad higher.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

bigfoot_ev wrote:
bcolins wrote:

I'm not that familiar with what makes up the various 'alignment groups' in the front end alignment specs, but I have a 2003 Wkdr and I'm group 5. I found it by looking at the sticker on the bottom of my fuse panel, in the Type section, K5. If you are group 5 (highly likely) then yes 257 mm is the measurement.

Having said all that, I don't think it makes that much difference. People raise and lower these vans all the time. I'm currently at 263 mm to the top of the bolt and thinking about going a tad higher.

Thanks,…is alignment necessary after adjustment?
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:

Thanks,…is alignment necessary after adjustment?

It depends on how much of a change you make. Raising and lowering the van changes the camber for sure. It then becomes a question of how much and does it make a difference. If you haven't had your alignment checked in some time and you can find a good alignment shop, I would go ahead and have it done. If you can't find a good shop, then it becomes a harder question.

I recently had my front end done, telling them there is a slight pull to the left. Now I have a slight pull to the right. I'm going to break out the strings and see if I can measure something off and if so, fix it myself. So, there's that.
VWinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: going to adjust my frt torsion bars. How to determine Height? Reply with quote

Its difficult to say exactly the height determination, as it is correlated to the amount of wear and pressure the existing torsion bars were previously under.

However, generally speaking you get 1 inch ride height for every 10mm up the torsion bar adjustment bolt you go.

Knock er loose penetrant works best along with a large crescent wrench. I used a little bit of white plumbers tape and a micrometer to determine distance the nut had moved when i adjusted mine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: