Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More power please
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: More power please Reply with quote

I'm thinking about upgrades for my 2276 street car. Currently running Jeff Denham unwelded heads, 42 + 37.5mm valves, Scat 1.4 rockers and a Raptor cam similar spec to an 86b. I've around 160 hp, power band from 3- 6.5k

Thinking of cb super pros and keep the rest as is. Anybody able to tell me if its a good move or not?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

Maybe that, more compression, and more manifold porting. Carb and header size matter too.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

sounds like you have a good match of parts now.

What carbs and exh are you running now?
Plan on changing them too?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

Slap a turbo on it and make a cool 300 hp!
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

Few more details, compression is 10.2.1, I don't want to go higher on pump gas.

Exhaust is 1 5/8 speedshop hideaway.

Induction is 45mm throttle bodies from vwspeedshop. I don't particularly like these as plugs and manifold nuts are a nightmare to access due to manifold shape. I was considering getting idf manifolds with the super pros and switch to idf style throttle bodies.
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

have you had it dyno tuned to make sure you getting all the power you already paid for?
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

stevebaz wrote:
have you had it dyno tuned to make sure you getting all the power you already paid for?

It was dyno tuned when built, in fairness the guy wasn't experienced with air-cooled, I've done more work with the fuel map since then and it improved quite a lot. I've left the ignition pretty much alone as I'm out of my depth there.

I'd like to take it to someone experienced with air-cooled but that would mean travelling to UK.

Imo there isn't much left in it, maybe low end could be improved as there's a dip between 2.5k and 3.3k rpm
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

buguy wrote:

A centre mounted single throttle body with a turbo would help with plug access a ton, I've been thinking about it but it's much more expense and I'd be happy with another 30hp if the super pros would give me that without changing cam.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

190 hp is not a problem. But if you want to keep it a street car you may want to reduce your aim a little, and also focus a little more on usable power, not just peak power.
On the other hand, I could "easily" set you up with a 190 hp street combo, even 200, with great driveability, but it would set you a couple of large bills back.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
buguy wrote:

A centre mounted single throttle body with a turbo would help with plug access a ton, I've been thinking about it but it's much more expense and I'd be happy with another 30hp if the super pros would give me that without changing cam.

I'm not sure it would be that much more expense. Sounds like you've done your homework though and have a good idea what your after.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
190 hp is not a problem. But if you want to keep it a street car you may want to reduce your aim a little, and also focus a little more on usable power, not just peak power.
On the other hand, I could "easily" set you up with a 190 hp street combo, even 200, with great driveability, but it would set you a couple of large bills back.

Yes keeping it a street car is top priority, hence trying not to go turbo.

I'm not chasing numbers, I just used the 190 figure basing it off how the car feels now with 160. I'd like more power everywhere if that's possible, not huge amounts just a bit more overall.

From reading about the super pros I think they might help while maintaining street ability, but I'm all ears for any better suggestions.

I'm not dead set on keeping the cam either, but would obviously prefer to keep it unless there's a sizeable gain while maintaining low end by swapping it too.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

If your hideaway is the same as mine, that's quite a restriction, Paul said it himself.

Difficulty is getting more power without the revs.
That comes from head work. What do yours flow?
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

Adding any more cam will cost you bottom end.

Have the manifolds been opened up and matched to the ports in the heads?

With your setup, I think there is HP in your current combo.

You could buy a new set of CB heads with matched ported intake manifolds.
That's about the best performance you can buy out of the box.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
If your hideaway is the same as mine, that's quite a restriction, Paul said it himself.

Difficulty is getting more power without the revs.
That comes from head work. What do yours flow?

My dyno guy swore the flange between header and silencer was holding it back but I didn't pay him much attention as I thought Paul knew what he was doing.

The heads are small oval port, flow around 170 cfms according to jd, I haven't had them tested. They're 041s though so not sure if there's anything left in them to hunt for.

Exhaust is definitely something I'll look into first though to see what gains can be found there.

Any recommendations for exhausts anybody?
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Adding any more cam will cost you bottom end.

Have the manifolds been opened up and matched to the ports in the heads?

With your setup, I think there is HP in your current combo.

You could buy a new set of CB heads with matched ported intake manifolds.
That's about the best performance you can buy out of the box.

The manifolds I have needed welding internally to match the intake ports on the heads, not much but slightly. They were then match ported but only the bottom where they meet the heads.

I have a feeling the 45mm TBS are too big for my ports, but that's just an uneducated hunch. If I switch to idf style I have more options in size so could go smaller.

Perhaps some better sized tbs, some better matched manifolds and a better exhaust would find me the gains I'm after
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

Buy mine, look on VZI
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
Alstrup wrote:

Yes keeping it a street car is top priority, hence trying not to go turbo.

I'm not chasing numbers, I just used the 190 figure basing it off how the car feels now with 160. I'd like more power everywhere if that's possible, not huge amounts just a bit more overall.

From reading about the super pros I think they might help while maintaining street ability, but I'm all ears for any better suggestions.

I'm not dead set on keeping the cam either, but would obviously prefer to keep it unless there's a sizeable gain while maintaining low end by swapping it too.

Not trying to sell you on it, but i think a turbo makes for a great street car. You can make the engine more tame so when off boost it's just a mild compression engine, no stress. Add in the boost and it becomes a beast!
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

I believe turbo motors in a street vw are too much for a street vw. Which makes them a hand full to drive, a BIT like a sports bike. Just how I like em really.

Sports bikes are dangerous and so are big power air cooled turbo bugs.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

No biggy.... Turn the boost down a little. Problem solved. I'm more of a turn it up more guy myself...
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: More power please Reply with quote

Turbo sounds great guys and it's something I've considered and want but not yet, my bug is original paint never welded, I haven't cut it for removable valance or carb access holes and I'm not going to.
Centre mount tb and turbo would fit the car great and give me great access for servicing, but and it's a big but, with 250-300 hp at your disposal you're gonna want to use it, I'd need a built gearbox, solid mounts, a roll cage etc and this isn't the car for all that, I've a project 69 that maybe in future I'd go all out with, but I'd like another year from my current car, just with a little more power.

Idf manifolds and TBS would help a lot with plug access I think, that's something I'd really like to address as simple service jobs require engine removal as things are.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: