Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dip or blast?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnw1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: dip or blast? Reply with quote

my 72 has the usual multi-layered paint you'd expect on a 50 year old car. i have done some of the metal work as-is, but i want to get the paint all off before starting back. media blasting is familiar, but dipping the shell is interesting to me as it would presumably remove adhesive, grease, etc.

cost aside, looking for pros and cons from your experience.

thanks!
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: dip or blast? Reply with quote

Saw a Beetle body that was dipped to strip all the paint to bare metal done for $1200 in Eugene, OR.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: dip or blast? Reply with quote

The big concern with dipping is the solution oozing out later from the many cavities on a VW and ruining your paint.
Media blasting can cause a lot of damage if not done right.
In most cases you don’t need to take a car down to metal, if you can get it down to original paint or decent respray you should be fine.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
pnw1302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: dip or blast? Reply with quote

Thank you both...

most places (like the one in eugene) clean with a basic solution then neutralize with an acid. that process will address hidden rust in bad places (death foam areas- ive already cut out and replaced a few) that media balsting will miss. i too was concerned about "oozing", and it seems from what i read there is a lot of pressure washing and fan drying before the final rust treatment is applied. my challenge is the shell has several layers of bad paint so it seems taking it all the way down would produce the best results.

i dunno. i guess there is pros and cons with either choice. thanks again!
OvalNick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: dip or blast? Reply with quote

A few months old this thread but....

I had my ghia dipped. Came back a few weeks ago VERY clean and no big surprises. It has a protective coat of something (I suspect phosphoric acid) that I've been told to wash off before epoxy.

It's already getting small patches of surface rust where I've touched it with bare hands. I need to get it in a coat of epoxy quick. But I'm terrified that if I power wash it it will be covered in rust in minutes.

I suppose I could do it outside in the hot sun the dry it quick.

This can't be a new problem, am I worrying too much or has anyone else had experience with this?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: dip or blast? Reply with quote

OvalNick wrote:
A few months old this thread but....

I had my ghia dipped. Came back a few weeks ago VERY clean and no big surprises. It has a protective coat of something (I suspect phosphoric acid) that I've been told to wash off before epoxy.

It's already getting small patches of surface rust where I've touched it with bare hands. I need to get it in a coat of epoxy quick. But I'm terrified that if I power wash it it will be covered in rust in minutes.

I suppose I could do it outside in the hot sun the dry it quick.

This can't be a new problem, am I worrying too much or has anyone else had experience with this?

I would wipe it all down again with phosphoric acid rust killer before spraying epoxy primer & sealer for easier sanding.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalNick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: dip or blast? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.

I did put some more phosphoric on one wing, left for 25 mins, rinsed off with a diluted mixture (4:1 water acid). It dried with a yellow hue, I guess surface rust? Wiped it off with some thinners on a cloth and it has remained rust free. Bit of a pain doing the whole car that way but I'll do it the day before paint.

Thanks all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: