Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 Education Needed
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After 25 years I'm working on getting back to a Bay window. They're a little harder to find than they were then and just a little more expensive. Very Happy

I'm going to look at one with a T4 engine and sadly I know virtually nothing about this engine. In the attached photo there is a fan up top with the hoses missing. What is the purpose of those hoses? Are they cooling hoses like the ones that came out of the fan housing on the T1 engine?

Also any guesses on the wire hanging down from the top of the engine bay? I know it isn't factory but the only guess I can come up with is that might be for a trailer there's no hitch on the vehicle though. Not to mention I can't imagine what level of masochist you would need to be to haul a trailer with any weight on it, 0-60 in 9.5 minutes indeed!

Any suggestions on what to look for in terms of this style engine? In the "old days" I would have just yanked the engine and stuck a T1 engine in it. While that's still an option, if I get this one I'm considering running the engine that's in there.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

Booster fan for the heating system. Comes on when one of the red levers on the dash gets pushed to the bottom to increase heated air flow at idle. Lots of discussions about these in the forum, search for "booster fan" to see all of them. Two hoses attach to the fan then down to two plastic tubes that connect to the heater boxes. Looks like you might be missing those as well. Check your parts stash for a couple black plastic pieces that are dogleg-shaped. If not, you can find them in the classifieds for a price.

Dont forget to order your engine seal, I see that is missing. No clue on the random wire, looks short for a tow connection but considering all the PO hacks that are out there, who knows.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
mgspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Booster fan for the heating system. Comes on when one of the red levers on the dash gets pushed to the bottom to increase heated air flow at idle.

Thank you! Now that I know the name I'll be able to educate myself just couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for pointing out the engine seal, hadn't noticed that in the pic.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

The plug dangling is for the plug wire sensor that was once attached to the #1 wire at the distributor cap, it was part of the diagnostic system.

The booster fan used paper hoses on a 72, slightly bigger diameter than a type 1, one has an oval end formed into it, most parts houses sell them. You need them even if the fan doesn't work, the flaps to prevent hot air from backfeeding into the engine compartment are in the fan.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

The fan does nothing except at base idle and it doesn't do much then. When I first bought a Type 4 powered bus I went to a lot of trouble to find all the original factory parts and install them and was really disappointed to find they did almost nothing. Since then I have just removed the fan and closed off all the ports and holes where where hoses used to run and connect, and found since I then had fewer joints to leak I got the same amount of air going through the heater ducts at idle and more the rest of the time.

If you want more airflow though your heaters there are several proven ways to do so.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

Wildthings

what did y9u use to seal off the outlets on the exhaust? I am rocking the soda can clamped on method. It has lasted 12 years ...not daily driven though.

I want to do something similar to what you used.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Wildthings

what did y9u use to seal off the outlets on the exhaust? I am rocking the soda can clamped on method. It has lasted 12 years ...not daily driven though.

I want to do something similar to what you used.

The round one is just a cap for a chainlink fence post. Just on the tight side of being a prefect fit. The other is just some galvanized sheet, it is bend down on three sides to fit inside the hole in the heater box. Both have been in use for a dozen years or so.
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

what was used as adhesive ?
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

looks like copper RTV, like the stuff used on exhaust connections.
Useful for a seal in an area with things get hot

1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Education Needed Reply with quote

Yes, just Copper Silicone. There is not much pressure behind them so it doesn't take much to keep them in place. You could also add some sheet metal screws if you like.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: