Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walk Through front seats
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Walk Through front seats Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Wink
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk Through front seats Reply with quote

WOndering if anyone modified their driver's walk through (same as bench on later models?) to trim it thin so that us tall drinks of water will have a lower driving position (so as to not stare at the visors)???

e.g.:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk Through front seats Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
WOndering if anyone modified their driver's walk through (same as bench on later models?) to trim it thin so that us tall drinks of water will have a lower driving position (so as to not stare at the visors)???

e.g.:

those certainly do not look like stock bay seats. But i agree with you, that seems like a business opportunity.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk Through front seats Reply with quote

My son just bought the million dollar drivers seat for his 61 walk thru. We are still missing the passenger side. I can see here that the backrest is different than later seats, but how about the base?

Is the early passenger bottom different than a 63-67 passenger bottom? If so, how? We are planing on making the passenger from scratch, but if we come across something else that would work it will save us some time.

Thank you in advance
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk Through front seats Reply with quote

Navydave73 wrote:
My son just bought the million dollar drivers seat for his 61 walk thru. We are still missing the passenger side. I can see here that the backrest is different than later seats, but how about the base?

Is the early passenger bottom different than a 63-67 passenger bottom? If so, how? We are planing on making the passenger from scratch, but if we come across something else that would work it will save us some time.

Thank you in advance

The passenger seat bottom is interchangeable '59-'67. It is a narrower version of the full bench seat bottom frame with some different springs. So if you have a full bench seat bottom, you can get part way there.

I know that reproductions will be available at some point in the future. Depending on how long it will be before your project is done, you might want to put this task off until later in the project.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Walk Through front seats Reply with quote

Thankful these rather worn but complete seats were still with this '67 I recently picked up.
They were in the back cargo floor with the pass back rest being on the bottom of the pile. The frame is extremely rotten from being wet all thise years
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Walk Through front seats Reply with quote

I just redid the seat covers in my '63. The original padding on the passenger seat backrest was in great shape so I reused it. The passenger backrest is different than the other parts being that it doesn't use the "coconut fiber "padding, just a soft cotton-like jute with an additional layer in the corners and burlap against the springs. .Here's what it looks like.

This is the back of the passenger backrest seat cover. Hard to read but looks like "Benecke?" What does it mean? Back? Bucket?

I'm hoping that reusing the padding helps the bus retain some of that signature "bus smell".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: