Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a Stroker, what should I build?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghia72 wrote:
So does a 2074cc with B pistons sound like a good choice apposed to the 2007? Seems to me that the 2074 would provide a little more torque/hp while still retaining a bit more reliability with the thickwall 92s instead of 90.5s, and close to how reliable the 1600s provides.

Thanks for all the advice!

I've never owned an engine that's been bored out for 94s or thickwall 92s, but I'd personally rather have a tad more material left around my case savers and studs than is afforded by a case that's been bored out to fit 94s/thickwall 92s. However, 94s have proven themselves to be quite reliable, so I would suspect thickwall 92s to be even more so.
Ghia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something about that, what material is being removed? making the hole larger for the cylinder to sit? taking material out so the cylinder can sit deeper? I'm not familiar with this process. In your opinion, is this less desirable then having the cylinders bored out leaving less wall material?
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my picture, just something I found in the gallery here, but you can see, with a case cut for 94 mm/92 mm thickwalls, how close the case savers for the studs are getting to the bore where the cylinders are inserted into the case:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock 85.5 mm and slip-in 87 mm pistons and cylinders require a 90 mm opening in the case. 90.5 mm and thinwall 92 mm cylinders require a 96 mm case opening. 94 mm and thickwall 92 mm cylinders require a 97.25 mm opening. That said, there's not much difference on the case end between 94/92 thickwalls and 90.5/92 thinwalls. The real difference is at the head end, where 94/92 thickwalls require a 3.1 mm larger cut.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were building an engine that was expected to go 100,000 miles or more I would not use anything larger then 90.5mm pistons. The larger pistons will run hotter and they will not last as long. DO NOT get sucked into the 'bigger is better' crowd or the Internet crew chiefs that say '94's cost the same as 90.5's so why not go bigger'. You will not notice of feel a HP difference between a 78X90.5=2007 and a 78X92=2074. Just remember bigger gets less fuel mileage and with a 60 mile daily commute that can start adding up quickly.

Take a few days and read all the technical material from www.geneberg.com
Ghia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has a lot of good info, I had no idea those lower priced gauges where so far off (almost bought some). So lets say I do go with the 2007, living in an area with hills and temps up to 120 in the summer, should the .148" = 90.5mm compared to .163" = 85.5mm stock not be a heat concern?

GBSKIT-1-78 -- 2006CC
http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?name=Engine%20Kit%20Deals&cPath=551

is this a 2007???

Still reading tech info, thanks!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ racerdave and sactojesse...2007...
Another great source of quick learning are the tech articles john at aircooled.net. wrote. Breaks everything down starting at square one. Teaches you about how to budget, what to do first, how to plan your build, how as you change one engine part what other parts are affected.
Good luck.
Ghia72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually gone through that site a few times for information, good site. any answers on the questions i sent in before? I'm almost sold on the 2007 just making sure its not going to be more prone to overheating then my stock 1600 because of the thinner cylinder walls.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you there are thousands and thousands of people that have gotten 100,000 miles out of 1776, 2007, and 2110 engines with 90.5mm pistons the last 40 years. The 90.5's have proven to be just as durable as the 85.5's Keep your compression ratio moderate around 8 to 8.5 and you will not have overheating problems.
DET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stroker, what should I build? Reply with quote

Hi all, I am a newbie here. Great information here. Please excuse me if I hijack the thread. But could someone comment on what rod lengths are good for 74 x 90.5 and 78 x 90.5 and what type (A or B) piston for each (Mahle)? for each? Thanks.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stroker, what should I build? Reply with quote

I would suggest VW length with either cylinder. Or in an aftermarket rod say 5.4 or 5.5"
with a 78 stroke use B pistons, goes together fairly easily, but the case needs more work
74 is trickier, you could use A pistons and spacers under the cylinders, or B pistons 5.5 rods and shorten the cylinder length. either way there is more work making cylinder tin fit and getting push rods the right length.
I suggest either counterweighted/balanced 69 crank and A pistons or
78 crank and B pistons.
either way you will need to build and measure it to add cylinder shims or flycut heads to get the compression you need.
have a look at the CB kits which take a lot of the guesswork out
https://www.cbperformance.com/Builder-s-Choice-Engine-Kits-s/116.htm
DET
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a Stroker, what should I build? Reply with quote

@Ian Godfrey ... Thank you for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: