Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge everything was working when I pulled my '70 Vert into the garage for the final time last fall, but when I pulled it out this spring (or at least the first time I actually went more than down the block) the right rear turn signal is being screwy. Left turn signal works OK, but right signal flashes the front turn signal, and both brake lights and the license plate lights, but not the actual turn signal bulb. I swapped the bulbs, both work on the left side but neither works on the right. Usually when electrical stuff gets this crazy the first suspect is a bad ground, but the ohmmeter says I have good ground at the bulb socket, and I pulled the tar board out so I could get to the terminals and cleaned them all up and made sure, but still no change. The relay must be OK because left turn is working, right?

In the process of checking this out, I found that the 4-way flashers are also flashing the brake and license plate lights, along with the left rear and both front flashers, but still not the right rear. And it appears that there is also no tail light on the right side, but both filaments seem to be lit with the brakes on. Does that give anyone a clue?

It seems to me that something must be screwed up either in the light housing itself, (not inexpensive to replace) or possibly the turn switch in the steering column. Any recommendations for what to check next?

Thanks,
Dave
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

just start replacing stuff, you'll find the problem
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

What happens when you turn the running lights on?
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
just start replacing stuff, you'll find the problem

That's the part I'm trying to avoid.
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
What happens when you turn the running lights on?

Running lights don't change anything. Left turn signals still work normally, right turn still goes nutty.

Last edited by dclaxon on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
mxl556
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

If grounds are good I'd suspect the switch or the switch connector on the steering wheel column. My turn signal switch (SWF replacement that was only a few years old) acted the similar way until turn signals stopped working all together. Replaced the switch and all the problems (that looked like bad ground) went away.
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

mxl556 wrote:
If grounds are good I'd suspect the switch or the switch connector on the steering wheel column. My turn signal switch (SWF replacement that was only a few years old) acted the similar way until turn signals stopped working all together. Replaced the switch and all the problems (that looked like bad ground) went away.

Thanks, that's the way I was leaning too. And a lot less expensive than replacing the tail light housing, $110-$120 for a used one. And I had been thinking of replacing that switch anyway, since the end is broken off the lever so I have to let go of the wheel and reach around behind it to use the turn signals. But since I have the tar board loose at the back, I may go ahead and swap the left and right housings to verify if the problem changes sides, before I go ordering parts.

Dave
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

dclaxon wrote:

In the process of checking this out, I found that the 4-way flashers are also flashing the brake and license plate lights, along with the left rear and both front flashers, but still not the right rear. And it appears that there is also no tail light on the right side, but both filaments seem to be lit with the brakes on. Does that give anyone a clue?

License plate light blinking shows there is a grounding problem in one or both of the taillights.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

Don’t change anything without finding out what is wrong.

Pull out the wiring diagram and disconnect and check each wire for continuity and shorts. Check all grounds.

Find the cause first otherwise you will have all new equipment with the same old problem.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
License plate light blinking shows there is a grounding problem in one or both of the taillights.[/quote]

Agreed, I had this same problem when wiring my system, License plate light was blinking because I had a grounding and wire placement problem in the tail lights.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bizarre Turn Signal Behavior Reply with quote

It seems to be the electrons in the turn signal wire and the tail light wire co-mingling on the way to the back of the car. I bypassed the switches and relays and jumpered straight from the fuse to the wire going to the turn signal, and both brake lights and the license plate lights lit up as before. So I got a long jumper and went from the flasher relay to the turn signal light and it worked as it should. But I also noticed the license plate lights and right tail light weren't coming on with the running lights, so I jumpered around that wire and they also worked. So it appears those two wires have shorted against each other. Tomorrow (or maybe the day after when the weather is forecast to be too wet to work outside, so I can stay in the garage) I will try to find a not too inconvenient route to run a couple of new wires to the back, to get me through the summer.

The car has been "re-wired" in the past, and it's pretty jumbled up, so I've known almost as long as I've had it that it would need a new wiring harness sooner or later, but I was hoping for later. But I'm not highly motivated to take the convertible out of service during convertible weather for long enough to do it, so hopefully the temporary wires will last until winter.

Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: