Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference between 73 and 74 Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy my first Thing - I see 73 and 74 as the predominant years of Things for sale. I understand the 73 has the rear-view mirrors on the doors vs. the 74 has them mounted on the body. Outside of that, are there any other significant differences?
Thanks!

Pat

Last edited by macbones on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

Heat. ‘73s only had the gas heater while the ‘74s had heat exchangers & all the ducting, and sometimes the gas heater.

‘74s will also have the large air intake vents.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Heat. ‘73s only had the gas heater while the ‘74s had heat exchangers & all the ducting, and sometimes the gas heater.

‘74s will also have the large air intake vents.

Thanks! That's super helpful! Is it possible to retrofit a 73 with the heat exchangers/ducting?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

Yes, but, unless the ‘73 is a stupid cheap deal, the acquisition & installation of all of those parts, from the fan shroud, to the heat exchangers, to all of the duct work would be more expensive than getting the ‘74.

The gas heater would be cheaper to get running, if it isn’t.

The ‘73s also don’t have the heater cable guide tubes.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yes, but, unless the ‘73 is a stupid cheap deal, the acquisition & installation of all of those parts, from the fan shroud, to the heat exchangers, to all of the duct work would be more expensive than getting the ‘74.

The gas heater would be cheaper to get running, if it isn’t.

The ‘73s also don’t have the heater cable guide tubes.

Exactly the information I needed - thank you!
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

As mentioned above, the major visible difference between a 73 and 74 is the rear side air intakes. The 73 has a louver style intake and the 74 has more of a snorkel. See pictures below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

and gas heater on 73 vs heat exchangers on 74
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

As mentioned above, 73 had no heat exchangers, it also had a different exhaust with 1 muffler on each side.
72 Baja
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
As mentioned above, 73 had no heat exchangers, it also had a different exhaust with 1 muffler on each side.

Thanks! I'm hoping to install a hitch - just for a bike rack on the back. I was wondering how the exhaust might impact that.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

If you drive a lot of dirt roads the '73 engine will get way dustier than the '74 engine. I added the '74 muffs to my first '73 for this reason.

Also on my first '73 I added heater boxes to the exhaust so I had both gas and exhaust heat. This made the car pretty toasty down to about 20°F and tolerable to 0°F.
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you drive a lot of dirt roads the '73 engine will get way dustier than the '74 engine. I added the '74 muffs to my first '73 for this reason.

Also on my first '73 I added heater boxes to the exhaust so I had both gas and exhaust heat. This made the car pretty toasty down to about 20°F and tolerable to 0°F.

Good to know - my (eventual) Thing will be a city driver (I'm in Los Angeles). I'll put that on my list of potential work to do on it though.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

re: bike racks...

I always thought that the accessory spare tire carrier could be converted to a nice bike rack.

From the gallery:
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
re: bike racks...

I always thought that the accessory spare tire carrier could be converted to a nice bike rack.

From the gallery:

Love that idea! My ebike weighs aboutr 75lbs so I was hoping to put on a sled-type rack that allows me to roll the bike onto it instead of lift it.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

Maybe not such a great idea...

75 pounds is a lot!
Too heavy for that spare tire carrier. Even with a spare tire mounted (which weighs considerably less than 75 pounds) that carrier really stresses the sheet metal attachment points. Most people with those carriers "back up" the sheet metal with thick fender washers to avoid "Euripides / Eumenides".

I believe this could work for a lightweight bike, but not a 75 pounder.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
macbones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between 73 and 74 Thing? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Maybe not such a great idea...

75 pounds is a lot!
Too heavy for that spare tire carrier. Even with a spare tire mounted (which weighs considerably less than 75 pounds) that carrier really stresses the sheet metal attachment points. Most people with those carriers "back up" the sheet metal with thick fender washers to avoid "Euripides / Eumenides".

I believe this could work for a lightweight bike, but not a 75 pounder.

Good luck, Mondshine

Thanks! Yes - I was planning on having some sort of heavier attachment made to the car for whatever hitch/rack system I put in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: