Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon TDI ECU problem and replacement ideas
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI ECU problem and replacement ideas Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Yep, this Thread is not a place to be bashing eTDIs.

You should be pleased then that not a single person in this thread has participated in bashing eTDIs.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI ECU problem and replacement ideas Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
AndyBees wrote:
Yep, this Thread is not a place to be bashing eTDIs.

You should be pleased then that not a single person in this thread has participated in bashing eTDIs.

I'm so pleased that I just wet in my pants!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI ECU problem and replacement ideas Reply with quote

mStrad wrote:
Hi Everyone

I recently bought an 82 Westy with a 1.9TDI (AHU)... If I am missing any important information please let me know.

You should consider removing the electronic pump and installing an mTDI injection pump from a known good quality supplier. It gives all of the performance and fuel economy, but with markedly increased reliability over the full electronic engine management. It gives easier tuning for higher power that doesn't rely on purchasing a tune from another vendor. Assuming you are using a wastegated turbo there is no advantage to the electronic engine management (other than arguably ecu controlled cruise control).
mStrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI ECU problem and replacement ideas Reply with quote

Thanks ?Waldo?

I may have to look into a mTDI. I just learned that VCDS can't display timing if it can't read engine coolant temperature. Is it even possible to set timing on a electronically controlled IP without VCDS to know where you are?

On another note for all those interested, when I plugged in the replacement ECU I got the same G62 coolant temp fault. I am pretty disappointed in the ECU repair shop for the false diagnosis. I did some more continuity tests. I was able to find a pin out for my exact engine/ECU and I discovered that the sensor ground wire did not have continuity from that cylindrical harness connector thing to the ECU. So now I'm faced with trying to un-wrap all that harness wiring to look for one broken wire or just live with it.

Interesting enough I found out that if the G62 circuit fails the ECU will use the air intake temp (AIT) as a substitute if the AIT is less than 0 celsius. It will do this for 3 minutes then use another substitute of 80 celsius. If the AIT exceeds 0 celcius, the substitute coolant temp is 80 celsius. So above 0 celsius it will always start a little lean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI ECU problem and replacement ideas Reply with quote

mStrad wrote:
Is it even possible to set timing on a electronically controlled IP without VCDS to know where you are?

Nope, on the eTDI for correctly setting the timing, you need VCDS.

Quote:
I was able to find a pin out for my exact engine/ECU and I discovered that the sensor ground wire did not have continuity from that cylindrical harness connector thing to the ECU. So now I'm faced with trying to un-wrap all that harness wiring to look for one broken wire or just live with it.

Sounds un-fun. Good luck with it.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI ECU problem and replacement ideas Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

Sounds un-fun. Good luck with it.

Uhhh sounds easier than completely changing the fuel management system...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon TDI ECU problem and replacement ideas Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, I wasn't comparing the difficulty of those two procedures, but it's fine with me if you want to discuss that.

Installing a quality mechanical pump would require the work of replacing the injection pump, making whatever accommodation is necessary for the accelerator pedal/cable, and installing one switched wire to the stop solenoid on the injection pump.

The amount of effort required for fixing the issues with the electronic engine management is unknown.

Benefits of the mechanical pump over the electronic engine management are increased reliability and easier tuning.

Benefits of the electronic management (assuming wastegated turbo) are nil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: