Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 AAZ turbo advice needed
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stacks81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: 1.9 AAZ turbo advice needed Reply with quote

Recently installed a new turbo on the 1.9aaz in my 82 vanagon. Have a couple oil leaks the need to be addressed and was wondering if clocking the turbo and adjusting the drain pipe is something I should do. Please let me know if anyone has done this or if clocking is something I shouldn’t do..

Thank you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

Definitely clock the center section better.

Also, add the one-way pulley to the alternator. The solid alternator pulley is likely to cause the crankshaft sprocket to fail which results in engine death. It is a well-known issue with the AAZ serp belt setup.

IDParts sells both the tool that lets you swap the pulley without pulling the alt (https://www.idparts.com/metalnerd-serrated-alternator-pulley-bit-set-a4a5-mn3400-p-564.html) and also the one way pulley (https://www.idparts.com/alternator-pulley-a4a5mk6ckra-022903119c-535001210-p-1118.html). $60 plus shipping is cheap IMO to reduce the chance of catastrophic engine failure.

Clocking the turbo and allowing it to drain better might reduce the leaks. They may also be a result of oil mist from the crankcase entering the intake (which is normal). I personally prefer to run the drain to the oil pan rather than the block as it gives better drop for the drain line which operates on gravity alone.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

The oil return pipe/hose is kinked.
Stacks81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

Right on thanks!!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

My AAZ has 1.9TD embossed under the exhaust manifold. Maybe someone can clarify, but these parts don't look like AAZ.
Stacks81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

So I recently made a new drain line for my turbo.
Bottom of the turbo 16mmx1.5 to 6an adaptor to 6an 90degree fitting
Ptfe hose to the banjo fitting into the block.
No leaks form the top or bottom of the turbo
Have some excessive oil coming out of the exhaust. Recently just changed the oil 5 quarts 15w40 and installed an oil catch can for blow by. Reenforced vinyl tubing 1/2 ID to 3/8 ID to catch can exit hose from catch can attached to intake tube. No oil in the hose lines.

Upon further inspection I found a hole in the top of the engine. Looks as though this is the old dip stick hole. It open looks to be misting oil out of it any way I could/should plug this? If so with what?

I’m thinking I have a little excessive blow by. I know it’s an old engine and a diesel just trying to figure it all out.. thank you!
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

Let me share my experience on 1.9 eTDI 50* tilt Turbo.

after a year later many km on the engine the exhaust started to spill oil. after doing some research & advise I started with drainpipe. mine is at the bottom of oil pan(crankcase) as TD. some said it should be at the top of oil pan. some say due to tilt of the engine, next, breather valve, oil viscosity. List goes on.

I just went for a sealed 'OE' Turbo. problem solved..
My direction will be go to scrapyard, find a low mileage engine & use its Turbo.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

I would strongly recommend a 2˝” exhaust system with a non-restrictive muffler. It solved all my problems with oil blowing out and leaking. In addition to other problems I didn’t even suspect were caused by insufficient breathing.
Stacks81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
I would strongly recommend a 2˝” exhaust system with a non-restrictive muffler. It solved all my problems with oil blowing out and leaking. In addition to other problems I didn’t even suspect were caused by insufficient breathing.

Exhaust system is 2 1/4 with a non restrictive vibrant resonator. I think I’m ok there.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

You should read my exhaust build post:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728825
…paying attention especially to the trouble I had at lower elevation, since you are in New Jersey.
Stacks81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

Wow that is a beautiful exhaust!
Stacks81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

Wow that is a beautiful exhaust!
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Also, add the one-way pulley to the alternator. The solid alternator pulley is likely to cause the crankshaft sprocket to fail which results in engine death. It is a well-known issue with the AAZ serp belt setup.

IDParts sells both the tool that lets you swap the pulley without pulling the alt (https://www.idparts.com/metalnerd-serrated-alternator-pulley-bit-set-a4a5-mn3400-p-564.html) and also the one way pulley (https://www.idparts.com/alternator-pulley-a4a5mk6ckra-022903119c-535001210-p-1118.html). $60 plus shipping is cheap IMO to reduce the chance of catastrophic engine failure.

Hi Waldo, I bought both the pulley and the installation kit in your links, and tried to swap out the solid alternator pulley on my AAZ Vanagon.

I have run into a weird issue, because the clutched pulley does not fit all the way down the shaft in the way the original one did. It's probably 2 to 3 mm away from the alternator body when it's torqued on tight.

Is metalnerd selling the wrong pulley?

I suppose I could pull the alternator and add some washers to space it out so the belt doesn't get de-railed from the bad alignment, but that seems like a hack, and would put new and unplanned torque forces on the alternator shaft.

Ideas?

The diameter of the clutched pulley is slightly larger than the solid one, too, but I didn't think that would be a real problem. The 3 mm of bare shaft left over, that's a real problem.

Original solid pulley:

Metalnerd clutched pulley:
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

The ratchetting pulley and the solid pulley are typically interchangeable. I ran into an aftermarket alt a few years ago that had the solid pulley and the shaft of the alt just beyond the threads got winder and interfered with the clutched pulley. My solution was to spin the alt using a drill and grind the shaft narrower where it interfered, using a dremel. YMMV.
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The ratchetting pulley and the solid pulley are typically interchangeable. I ran into an aftermarket alt a few years ago that had the solid pulley and the shaft of the alt just beyond the threads got winder and interfered with the clutched pulley. My solution was to spin the alt using a drill and grind the shaft narrower where it interfered, using a dremel. YMMV.

So the shaft looked like this?

This is a genuine Bosch alternator as far as I know.

I could see how the drill & Dremmel trick could work, but I'm not brilliantly accurate with a Dremmel and that makes me nervous. I was good enough to grind (ie. mangle) a couple of flats into a 24 mm socket so that I could twist off the pulley nut while holding the shaft with the metalnerd allen key. Not sure I want that primitive level of machining done on the alternator shaft itself.

Maybe cutting a few new threads with a die would work?
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

So on further investigation, I think the pulley in that link to the ID Parts store is the wrong one.

This new pulley is about 61 mm in O.D., while the original solid pulley is only about 54 mm in O.D.

This post explains that there were actually two different sized clutched pulleys for VW TDIs, and I think I ended up buying the one that is too big: http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,24517.0.html

I think I need Part# 028903119AA, which is only 55.5 mm O.D.

Before I hack up my alternator shaft, I am going to try to buy and install the smaller pulley, and report back.
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

So to draw a line under this issue, I picked up the new pulley, VW part# 028903119AA, and it fits my alternator shaft perfectly, no Dremmeling hack required, thank god.

The problem was definitely that the pulley in Waldo's link is not the correct one for the AAZ alternator. For the benefit of anyone else searching this topic, be aware, and don't buy that one.

Photos of the three below, from left to right: original pulley, correct clutched pulley (Part# 028903119AA), and incorrect clutched pulley that I ordered from ID Parts.

The correct pulley's INA manufacturing part number is F-225355.11

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

Thanks for adding that info Witless Joe. You are correct about the size difference. In looking into it further, some people have used the ALH pulley on the Mk3 alternators without issue and others have the issue you described.

Another INA # for the correct part for the Mk3 alts is 5350001100. It is actually available at SummitRacing for $37. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ife-ea0001
Zephyr_shreds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

Which clutched pulley should I get for the 1.9 1y
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9aaz turbo advice needed. Reply with quote

The 1Y is a Mk3. I posted the part number for the correct clutched pulley in the post immediately before yours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: