Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First VW Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Cheeze wrote:
So i took my pedals apart to get all of the rust off and I am having a hard time getting them back together correctly. I have searched for a write up but I have not found one. I have a brand new set of pedals for later model bugs but the clutch cable does not line up good. Has anyone ran the newer assembly with no issues? I would like to use the newer pedals but if anyone could shed some light on why my clutch pedal keeps falling toward the floor that would be great.

As EVfun mentioned . . . your pan is early.
You have discovered that there are compatibility issues using the later pedals.
Here is how the original pedals and stop-plates interact . . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The early stop-plates bolt into the holes that are seen in the left of this photo . . .

The late stop-plate will not be in the correct position if bolted using the existing holes in an early pan.
It would be easy enough to add the provision to your floor pan for a later stop-plate.

Moving the clutch cable tube inside the tunnel . . . not as easy.
Here's how long the early pedal assy. extends into the tunnel . . .

Here's a late pedal assy. for comparison . . .

So my stop plate/ bracket does not stop the brake pedal. I can weld a little piece on to it to make it work but these pedals worked before I took them off. In the picture you posted I cant tell if the stop extends to the brake pedal. Thanks for the reply
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Cheeze wrote:
So my stop plate/ bracket does not stop the brake pedal. I can weld a little piece on to it to make it work but these pedals worked before I took them off. In the picture you posted I cant tell if the stop extends to the brake pedal. Thanks for the reply

There's actually two plates . . . they accomplish THREE goals . . .
One plate stops the clutch pedal and at the same time supports the clutch shaft . . . the other plate stops the brake pedal.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721329
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721231A
The plates stack one on top of the other . . . the height of them is critical . . . strange, unpredictable pedal operation will result from interference between the clutch shaft and brake pedal pivot if the end of the clutch shaft is not supported correctly! Wink

Do you have that "nut plate" on the underside of your floor pan . . . with two, threaded holes . . . like what is seen in the photo I posted?

BTW . . . the pedal assy. you have pictured is an early unit . . . should line-up with the clutch cable tube in the tunnel just fine.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
Cheeze wrote:

There's actually two plates . . . they accomplish THREE goals . . .
One plate stops the clutch pedal and at the same time supports the clutch shaft . . . the other plate stops the brake pedal.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721329
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111721231A
The plates stack one on top of the other . . . the height of them is critical . . . strange, unpredictable pedal operation will result from interference between the clutch shaft and brake pedal pivot if the end of the clutch shaft is not supported correctly! Wink

Do you have that "nut plate" on the underside of your floor pan . . . with two, threaded holes . . . like what is seen in the photo I posted?

BTW . . . the pedal assy. you have pictured is an early unit . . . should line-up with the clutch cable tube in the tunnel just fine.

Thank you very much. I am surprised that I have not come across that site. My local guy told me it is impossible to get any parts for that pedal assembly. I ordered everything I needed tonight. Yes my car has the nut plate and the pedals in the picture are the early ones. I bought a set of later pedals but now I wont be needing them. I doubt he will take them back so if anyone needs new pedals Ill make you a great deal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Hello everyone after a long brake from the Manx I am getting back to work on her. Does anyone out there have a windshield frame with glass they are looking to get rid of? My frame is 42" wide. If not I will bite the bullet and get a new one. I am also looking for a fuel tank that goes under the hood. Thanks
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

So seats and windshield are done. I was wondering what size steering shaft everyone uses? Mine is 7/8 and I really don't want a 7/8 hiem or bushing and the joints are more expensive. Will 1/2 inch be enough?
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

I used one of these. Work'd nicely for my stock 1965 steering shaft, ~3/4" diameter.

Available here:

https://www.dansperformanceparts.com/sand/sand-ste...-each.html
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Dash is coming along

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Looking good! Nice to see the project is still moving on.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Does anyone know which line is in and which was is out. Both of these lines are on the front of the motor. it does not look like anything I have seen on line.

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Cheeze wrote:
... which line is in and which was is out ...

Don't know if this helps, but in general an external filter and cooling radiator should be set up so that oil gets filter'd before going to cooler. So oil lines should be routed:

1. Out from engine goes in to filter
2. Out of filter goes in to radiator
3. Out of cooler goes in to engine
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Cheeze wrote:
... which line is in and which was is out ...

Don't know if this helps, but in general an external filter and cooling radiator should be set up so that oil gets filter'd before going to cooler. So oil lines should be routed:

1. Out from engine goes in to filter
2. Out of filter goes in to radiator
3. Out of cooler goes in to engine

I got that part. I am just not sure which line is out on the front of the motor. I have only seen the oil output on the rear of the motor bu the oil pump..
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Cheeze wrote:
... I got that part. I am just not sure which line is out on the front of the motor ...

There was no space for me to check, due to where my buggy was park'd at the time. But just now, I was able to get my smartphone camera in where the oil manifold (that replaced the stock cooler in 1976) sticks out a little "behind" the fan shroud, i.e. the side of shroud that's toward front of car:

Don't know whether all such manifolds are built the same, but I can guarentee that on mine...

Top is for the oil line going OUT, and
Bottom is for the oil line coming IN.

PS - Another helpful thing about radiator hook up is that oil should go into radiator at lower nipple, so it gets pump'd up thru pipe(s) to outlet at higher nipple. This reduces the possibility of air bubbles wasting cooling ability where oil should be getting cool'd.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Cheeze wrote:
... I got that part. I am just not sure which line is out on the front of the motor ...

There was no space for me to check, due to where my buggy was park'd at the time. But just now, I was able to get my smartphone camera in where the oil manifold (that replaced the stock cooler in 1976) sticks out a little "behind" the fan shroud, i.e. the side of shroud that's toward front of car:

Don't know whether all such manifolds are built the same, but I can guarentee that on mine...

Top is for the oil line going OUT, and
Bottom is for the oil line coming IN.

PS - Another helpful thing about radiator hook up is that oil should go into radiator at lower nipple, so it gets pump'd up thru pipe(s) to outlet at higher nipple. This reduces the possibility of air bubbles wasting cooling ability where oil should be getting cool'd.

Thanks for the info
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Got the wiring done over the weekend.

Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Pulled the valve cover to check tdc and saw the intake on number 1 is missing an adjuster. One of the springs was also missing on the rocker assembly. I replaced everything and she fired up! For a second. Fuel pump is shot and rear main is leaking bad. Waiting on fuel pump and gaskets seals.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Well she is running. I took her for a spin around the block. I need to clean the carbs and replace the main seal. When I pulled the motor I checked the endplay on the crank and it was off so I need to do that as well.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

After messing around with 2 sets of pedals I finally hit the bullet and sent both sets to Scott at Pedalwerks and he sent me back one set that is better than new. Awesome work

Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Pedals are in and working great. The buggy is running decent, a little miss at the bottom but the damn main seal is still leaking. I bought the fancy tool to put a new one in. Thais will be my third try. I still need a cage and seat covers but slowly moving forward.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

I finally picked up a bender and got to work on the cage.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: