Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: 12 Volt Electronic Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Hi, I just did a 12Volt one: Here it is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

The 6 Volt regulator installed in the 1960 Beetle in a Bosch mechanical regulator housing failed the other day due to a screw coming loose inside. It was a difficult repair however I have it going again apparently it had only burned out several wire connections on the circuit board:
UpDated Schematic Nov 15 2020: (Note! the Start Circuit is yet to be installed, currently unregulated is feed from the ign coil 6 volts and The Reference voltage is not connected at start-up yet this may be why it's reluctant to start charging when cold.) (Also the Field Resistor may be removed from the design or at least tried without it as it may help with tighter voltage regulation to remove it!)

Installed in the 1960 Beetle:

Charging Voltage at Ignition Switch Lights On:

Charging Voltage at Ignition Switch Lights Off:

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:23 pm; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Drop of blue Loctite on those screws , Dan

A long time ago I was a circuit designer. I did all of the crossed out light bulb n designs in the famous book Horowitz and Hill
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Cool! Yeah, a good Idea, Not sure Thread locker works on brass but I guess it would work because it screws into steel standoffs.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Drop of blue Loctite on those screws , Dan

A long time ago I was a circuit designer. I did all of the crossed out light bulb n designs in the famous book Horowitz and Hill

Woah! I've spent a good bit of time with Horowitz and Hill Smile

Very cool to run into someone like you here. I'm big into DIY electronics. I play with vacuum tube audio and LED constant current driver boards in my other big hobby, and even design PCBs for some of my projects-

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Electronics
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Electronic Voltage Regulators Reply with quote

Being tested on the Beetle now:

Latest LM393 Design has been prototyped and bench tested:

Bench Test:

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

This Voltage Regulator Design keeps changing Here is a photo of the latest Prototype:
Mock-Up

Prototype Wired:

UnderSide simplified:

Latest Ideas:

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Dan, where do you buy small run ICs and discretes now? Is Digikey or Mouser still the places?

Nice work, brings back memories. I’ve got a fist edition of HH somewhere, that’s definite dork boast.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Yes and e-bay!

"Beefto" here made a circuit board for the 350 model voltage regulator which has proven to be the best one, the Lt-6700 and some others have not worked as well.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

This is the highest performing design of them all.
Better Start charging:
Better Idle Voltage:
Better Lights on Reved Voltage:
Simplest Circuit Design:

tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

Let me ask this. Would it be possible to make a SS regulator adjustable to where a 6V gen could run a 12V system? I have read a generator voltage output varries greatly far over 12V even on a 6V gen. I have read of old timers using a 12V voltage reg on a 6V gen car in certain situations.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

The problem there would be insufficient unregulated voltage from the generator at design rpm. You would need to double the speed to get the 14 V unregulated required
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The New 6 Volt Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

When it shorted out once it went to full charge and produced about 9 volts out, it becomes limited by the load, load dependent and wattage limit is needed so the 6 volt gen doesn't overheat. So it could run at most an 8 volt battery.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: