Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Typ 12 convertible??
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lennert.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

The topic about the Typ 32 has been brought back in a certain way, people are again discussing about the early history of the beetle. So I feel like now is a good time to discuss another beetle forerunner by Porsche.

Anyways I have read numerous times that of the three Zündapp Typ 12 prototypes one was a convertible. Has some more information about this.

If find this quite unlikely because in the early 1930s german citizens weren't in the best situation, cars were a luxury let alone a convertible. The fate of the Typ 12 was a lack of financial support (and also because the car was a flop, mostly the engine's fault) so considering these two thing I find it hard to believe that Zündapp would make a convertible volkswagen or "Qualitäts-kleinwagen" as they called it.

Hopefully some of you have some more info on this.
Kind regards
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

this photo is supposedly the first type 12 and seems to have a convertible (and rather dated) look to it. that's ferry porsche standing by. a convertible needn't be a full blown expensive cabrio. many economy cars at that time were convertibles or cabrio saloons.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Lennert.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
this photo is supposedly the first type 12 and seems to have a convertible (and rather dated) look to it. that's ferry porsche standing by. a convertible needn't be a full blown expensive cabrio. many economy cars at that time were convertibles or cabrio saloons.

I've seen this picture before but I always thought that it was a Wanderer, but now that I see the front it does look like a Typ 12, but thats also the only thing to recognise it.

Since this car looks so dated I wonder if the 2 other limousines looked the same or different.

Thanks for the info.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

I wonder if that photo was taken in reutter's body shop? the design looks like a step on from the boehler-wagen (designed by fidelis boehler) that zundapp were looking to make in 1931

and the mercedes 120H prototype

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

Lennert.vw wrote:
finster wrote:

I've seen this picture before but I always thought that it was a Wanderer, but now that I see the front it does look like a Typ 12, but thats also the only thing to recognise it.

Since this car looks so dated I wonder if the 2 other limousines looked the same or different.

Thanks for the info.

It looks a lot like they stripped the car behind it to repurpose the body. It also looks like just a body mockup, with no chassis or running gear.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

I've read that the bodies were made by reutter then transported to zundapp who made the chassis and running gear...so the photo would seem to match this.
and I came across this regarding their fate...Two of the three prototypes of the Zündapp Beetle were scrapped in Nuremberg in the mid-thirties, the number 3 remained until 1944.

this is an interesting article about porsche and zundapp but it's a shame the photos aren't captioned.http://www.austroclassic.at/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8458&Itemid=46

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I've read that the bodies were made by reutter then transported to zundapp who made the chassis and running gear...so the photo would seem to match this.
and I came across this regarding their fate...Two of the three prototypes of the Zündapp Beetle were scrapped in Nuremberg in the mid-thirties, the number 3 remained until 1944.

this is an interesting article about porsche and zundapp but it's a shame the photos aren't captioned.http://www.austroclassic.at/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8458&Itemid=46

they are captioned, albeit in German?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

No, they are not. The running text is not directly linked to the pictures, for some a relation can be recognized.
Lennert.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

finster wrote:

That article is gold, also the first time that I have seen the 3 cyl radial engine. To my knowledge that engine was not produced, I could be wrong.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that tech drawing is of a 5 cylinder radial...

Lennert.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

I only count 3 cylinders, also in the porsche typ list under number 12 is stated: "Zündapp 3 and 5 cylinder radial engine for rear-engined saloon"
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

only 3 are shown in that cross section - others possibly omitted to allow annotation of the distributor drive. the other view shows 5 cylinders

I would assume a 3 cylinder radial would have them arranged 120 degrees apart like this

Lennert.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Typ 12 convertible?? Reply with quote

Indeed didn't saw those 2 lines, got really exited when I thought I saw the 3 cylinder radial engine. They are at 72° and not 120° as you mentioned. Maybe the drawing is out there somewhere.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: