Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregory1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

Hello there! I am a recent owner of a 1972 Campmobile! As fun as it has been, I've run into a bit of trouble, mostly concerning a troubling fuel-in-oil problem I have. Please bare with me, I am a not very experienced beginner!

The previous owner at some point converted the stock engine to a Weber 32/36 DFAV with an electric pump with only a patent number printed on it. The engine was running extremely rich, and attempting to adjust the carburetor did not seem to work at all. I was worried that the pump was pushing more than what the carburetor could handle. Sometime later, I removed the dipstick and smelled a very strong fuel smell, as well as the oil level being way too high.

I installed a Holley pressure regulator that was recommended by someone on this site. I also had the carburetor rebuilt, which was a fun experience!

I'm not sure if the pressure regulator is working, the carburetor was still not adjusting properly. After flushing the old oil out, and after running it for awhile, I noticed that the oil smelled like gas again. Go figure! I am wondering whether or not to just replace the pump as well..

If anyone has any input on this, I would greatly appreciate it! I have little knowledge what I am talking about, so I apologize if I messed some wording up. Thank you for reading!
Jrh5r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

So I take it this is an electric pump. I would check pressure regulator with a gauge and then check and make sure the floats in the carbs aren’t stuck open and are adjusted properly as well as checking the flit needle valve and seat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

You must figure out the pump outlet pressure. It could be anywhere from 5 psi up to 40 psi. You are hoping for 5 and then regulate it down to about 2 1/2
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregory1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

Jrh5r wrote:
So I take it this is an electric pump. I would check pressure regulator with a gauge and then check and make sure the floats in the carbs aren’t stuck open and are adjusted properly as well as checking the flit needle valve and seat

It is an electric pump, though I'm not sure how much pressure is coming out of it.

I got a gauge with the regulator, but it doesn't seem to be registering anything which is why I think either the regulator is not working or the gauge is either set up right or not working

as for the carburetor, the needle and seat/float seemed to be working fine when it was apart and rebuilt

thank you very much for the reply!
Gregory1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
You must figure out the pump outlet pressure. It could be anywhere from 5 psi up to 40 psi. You are hoping for 5 and then regulate it down to about 2 1/2

I wish I could figure out how much is coming out of the pump, the gauge I got with the regulator is not registering any pressure, I might have set it up wrong. Thanks for this, I didn't know what amount of psi the carburetor should be taking
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

Gregory1234 wrote:
as for the carburetor, the needle and seat/float seemed to be working fine when it was apart and rebuilt

Did you weigh the float while it was out?, if it's partially sunk it doesn't matter if the needle and seat are OK.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

Gregory1234 wrote:

I wish I could figure out how much is coming out of the pump, the gauge I got with the regulator is not registering any pressure, I might have set it up wrong. Thanks for this, I didn't know what amount of psi the carburetor should be taking

You can (and must) figure it out by getting a working gauge. Very Happy
Gregory1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Gregory1234 wrote:

Did you weigh the float while it was out?, if it's partially sunk it doesn't matter if the needle and seat are OK.

That never occurred to me, thank you! I'll take it apart and see what I can find
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

You want a gauge just for checking carburetor fuel pumps, or for checking carb fuel pumps and engine vacuum. A gauge that reads 0-40 or even 0-20 will typically be very inaccurate at the bottom end of their range.

Here is a cheapie Harbor Freight one: https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-62637.html
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

The carburettor only needs a small amount of dirt in the needle valve and it will leak despite having the correct fuel pressure.

In the worst case, it will even leak with just the pressure of fuel from the tank, if the tank is full.

I protect my progressive from leaking by putting a solenoid cutoff valve between the fuel tank and the fuel pump, so when the ignition is off, there is no fuel pressure on the carburettor.

While I have owned my bus, driving it about 90000 miles, the needle valve has worn and leaked about four times, and on two occasions, the engine has flooded and stopped when driving gently because of fuel leaking past the metering valve.

But I do not get gas in the oil.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gregory1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You want a gauge just for checking carburetor fuel pumps, or for checking carb fuel pumps and engine vacuum. A gauge that reads 0-40 or even 0-20 will typically be very inaccurate at the bottom end of their range.

Here is a cheapie Harbor Freight one: https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-62637.html

Thanks! This is good info.
Gregory1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
The carburettor only needs a small amount of dirt in the needle valve and it will leak despite having the correct fuel pressure.

In the worst case, it will even leak with just the pressure of fuel from the tank, if the tank is full.

I protect my progressive from leaking by putting a solenoid cutoff valve between the fuel tank and the fuel pump, so when the ignition is off, there is no fuel pressure on the carburettor.

While I have owned my bus, driving it about 90000 miles, the needle valve has worn and leaked about four times, and on two occasions, the engine has flooded and stopped when driving gently because of fuel leaking past the metering valve.

But I do not get gas in the oil.

This makes sense , I'm getting the opinion that whoever converted the fuel system in mine did a sort of quick-and-easy fix. Do you have any good recommendations for the solenoid?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

Unfortunately most all progressive installs are quick fixes. The throttle linkage and cables are most often a low grade jury rig and the crankcase ventilation is frequently not dealt with at all but to leave a hose dangling in the engine compartment spewing an oily mix.

Note that the VW Transporter fuel system is very similar to many marine setups where the fuel tank is above the level of the carburetor so adding elements of a marine fuel system can be a plus. A marine anti siphon valve to the system can keep the fuel system from leaking through when the engine is shut down.
Gregory1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bus - Fuel in Oil Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Unfortunately most all progressive installs are quick fixes. The throttle linkage and cables are most often a low grade jury rig and the crankcase ventilation is frequently not dealt with at all but to leave a hose dangling in the engine compartment spewing an oily mix.

Note that the VW Transporter fuel system is very similar to many marine setups where the fuel tank is above the level of the carburetor so adding elements of a marine fuel system can be a plus. A marine anti siphon valve to the system can keep the fuel system from leaking through when the engine is shut down.

I was very confused when I found the crankcase breather tube just end in oblivion! That makes sense.

I like the concept of the siphon; when I took the carburetor out to rebuild it the whole bowl was incredibly full of gas, which I think contributed to the problem
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: