Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I think it's actually a slight upgrade to run a higher capacity R134a pump in a R12 system.

That is pretty interesting, I had not heard of people doing that. So would that imply that the main difference is size? It takes a larger capacity r134a compressor than r12 compressor for the same size system?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
I'm interested in knowing the size and length of the hoses that were replaced.

These are the hoses listed on the invoice
14.3 feet - #8 Barrier A/C Hose-N = $37.90
17.7 feet - A/C Barrier Hose 5/16"-N = $34.34
5.3 feet - 12 A/C Barrier Hose-N = $19.61

The replacements were a little longer than the originals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Higher capacity as in CFM not in dimensional size necessarily.

Problem is the larger the cfm, the more horses it takes to drive.
Big movement loss as soon as it goes "click"

The most bang for your bucks would be to install a Frigidaire A6 compressor, which would turn your van into a meat locker with R12 or R12A.

The biggest issue in using it would be, it would drive the engine off as soon as you turned it on.

The secret to cool is use the biggest cfm compressor your engine will drive.

You're at the limit right now.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

TK, you might know this: where can I source a 12v DC fridge compressor/condensor that 1. isn't a cosmetic knockoff born to fail, and 2. doesn't cost $400.

Seems like all these 120V systems work fine for MUCH less than $400 for the whole shebang, and yet the only real difference is the motor.

What is up with that! I'll make one myself, but no thank you to $400.

Did I mention $400 is outrageous?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

I have never had the opportunity to shop for a 12 volt compressor.

However, as I have experienced in just about anything, the price usually gives you a pretty good indication of reliability, and longevity because it's a quality item.

Buy the $59.95 compressor, you wouldn't even tell us after that failed.
What are you trying to do ?
Fire up an AC system in the van?

Won't work, can't happen on the cheap.

If it was inexpensive, everbody would have had one of these set up's already.

Or am I wrong and you're just looking for a fridge compressor for a refrigerator?
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Yes, a refrigerator.

House units (small ones are what I mean) last a long time if you spend a bit. They are out there, and reliable, and cheap.

What gripes me is you can't get one with a 12V DC motor. That's the only difference.

So I thought it would be simple to make my own cooling box, use parts from a used small one, and swap out the compressor (the motor is always built into it, it seems) and re-plumb it for that.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Or find a used unit at an estate sale that's wasn't used much.

Craigslist perhaps.

Find a old camper, poptop, whstever that is an older model.

Might be inexpensive.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Id think youd need a fairly substantail alternator to run an electric powered compressor. each hp is .75 Kw not counting losses, youd need over 60 amps at 12 volts for each HP of the compressor. A 5 HP compressor would have a power draw in excess of 300 amps at 12 volts. That is several times what the stock alternator can put out.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
Yes, a refrigerator.

House units (small ones are what I mean) last a long time if you spend a bit. They are out there, and reliable, and cheap.

What gripes me is you can't get one with a 12V DC motor. That's the only difference.

So I thought it would be simple to make my own cooling box, use parts from a used small one, and swap out the compressor (the motor is always built into it, it seems) and re-plumb it for that.

they make 12 volt dc fridges. I used to have a two way fridge, ran on either 12 volt dc or 120 volt ac, switchable, drain a battery in a day in hot summer sun with it, if not charged, really good on long road trips if you dont have access to 120 ac, if you drive enough to fully charge up the battery each day (dedicated camper deep cycle battery was used). If you got shore power, switch it to 120 ac and run it parked as long as you want. bought at a camper supply place, 40 years ago or so.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
She needs to have the fluffy slippers on too! Laughing

Well, she might have...I know we pulled her straight out of bed that morning... Laughing Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

I went to the local hardware store and they only had 2 air filters that could be cut to size. I got both to compare, a coarse blue material and a denser green one. Each was cut to 6" x 25" to fit to the evaporator opening.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The green one comes with a plastic grid and was what I decided to use.

Installed the plastic grid

Then the filter

Still blowing strong and cold on my face. Will see how long it takes before the filter is visibly dirty. The instructions say 90 days in a home HVAC system.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

I made a filter for my camper A/C, after 7000 miles it was filthy!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635160&highlight=ac+filter

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

The grass cloth filter will slow the intake air the least.
It's washable,reuseable.

The foam is washable, but will make the ac intake
work harder for the air it's getting.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

I kept my stock Condenser when I installed a new Compressor & Hoses, and I live in Florida running 134 gas and my van still freezes me out too. If I ever spring a leak in the condenser, I would likely go with that parallel joker, but until it leaks or does not blow cold, I am not touching a thing.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
TK, you might know this: where can I source a 12v DC fridge compressor/condensor that 1. isn't a cosmetic knockoff born to fail, and 2. doesn't cost $400.

You could try sourcing it from a marine chandler. The boats run on 12v and they have some really good small, even tiny systems out there.
The downside is that the $400 is going to look real attractive!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is no under $400 12 volt compressor solution. The only unit worth buying, and essentially the only unit in that market segment (ie 12 volt for small to medium mobile reefer applications) is the Danfoss BD35. It has two bigger siblings, the BD50 and BD80, both much larger than any RV fridge requires.

The hermetic compressor itself can be found in the $200 range, but it will not work without the companion controller that is in the range of $200 to $350 depending on where you purchase. They use brushless, variable-speed electronically-switched motors which will not run without the controller.

So, the $499 for the Truckfridge TF 49 or $549 for the TF65 appears to be a good value. My TF65 has now been performing beautifully for almost nine years now, for what that is worth ($61 per year, to be exact.)
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Subscribed...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Update 5 years later....

The A/C was no longer blowing cold. The new Sanden compressor pulley was leaking Freon. Had that fixed along with a new receiver/drier, system flushed and filled.

I also decided to go ahead and upgrade the power supply since so many have had issues with the system melting at the fuses.

+ Ran a 6 gauge wire from the alternator
+ Switched to a commonly available 50 amp MIDI Fuse (which I was very surprised fit perfectly)
+ New 30 amp compressor clutch relay
+ New 70 amp blower fan relay

Hopefully good for at least another 5 years....

Previous Buses: 59 Westy, 60 Westy, 74 Bus, 82 Westy, 85 Westy, 87 Syncro
Checkout my Syncro Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JSWhLS7jLY
narendra.vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

Before I refitted my 'oe' roof ac duct I welded M6 nuts to the roof where factory setup used Tin screws. Now the ducts fit firmly. no rattling noise or cracking of duct edges. Smile

is the ac control switch working? my thermostat control is not working.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tin Top A/C Rebuild Experience Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
Update 5 years later....

The A/C was no longer blowing cold. The new Sanden compressor pulley was leaking Freon. Had that fixed along with a new receiver/drier, system flushed and filled.

I also decided to go ahead and upgrade the power supply since so many have had issues with the system melting at the fuses.

+ Ran a 6 gauge wire from the alternator
+ Switched to a commonly available 50 amp MIDI Fuse (which I was very surprised fit perfectly)
+ New 30 amp compressor clutch relay
+ New 70 amp blower fan relay

Hopefully good for at least another 5 years....

Nice work!!!
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: