Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 SO42 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
interested in knowing how you end up liking the 3.44 /089 trans, I built the same trans thinking the cruising rpm would be sweet , I found that 4th is way too tall makes cruising at 60 difficult and power to hit 75+ also difficult and scary , im running a healthy 1776 w 40's im thinking combo might work ok w a 2276 with a low end torque cam

I’ll for sure let you all know how it works out. Jones is currently running the same thing in his ‘55 camper but with small nut RGBs, so I’ll be geared slightly higher. Driving his bus around town it feels like the bigger R&P makes the bus want to “hop” less from the reductions spinning the axles the opposite way. Takes more power to get over it, so it feels smoother to me...

He’s taken a couple extended road trips with that setup while also towing his Baja bug and hasn’t complained about speed over any of the mountain passes out here, so I’m thinking with the same 2 liter and at sea level it shouldn’t be too bad .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a lot of stuff completed since I last updated this, so I'll try to go into detail as best I can!

I think right after I left off I installed the Bilstein 4600 series on all four corners and got the 215/75-15 BFG A/T KO2s put on some 15's that I blasted and painted Silver White. It was finally able to come off the lift and transition to being a roller!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think the stance is great! Up is the new down!

Had to get a shot with our dog, the westy, and my doka!

Finished the shell by getting the doors painted and roughly hung. Then I got the window frames painted and assembled with repainted original black vent latches. Also sand blasted and repainted the walk-thru seat frames.

My brother was visiting so while I was workin on all that he assembled and installed the jalousie windows. Looks great with all the doors and such installed! I can't wait to see how its going to look buffed out and the doors adjusted right.

Got the window frames shoved into the doors and the safaris fit... getting both to go together and fit nicely are such a pain!

Right before I left for a 3 week trip I stabbed the engine in it to get it out of the way and took it for a drive up and down the block. Since I've been back I've taken the engine back out and been fitting all the tin to be tight and refinishing all the parts I need to make it a better road trip motor. Adding heater boxes, welded flaps, Type IV oil cooler, and all the tin. Its a lot of work to get it all to fit super tight but I think its going to really make a difference in how well it moves air around. I think I'm going to have it painted tomorrow and ready to go back together really soon!

A couple more just to show off the jacked up camper!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Wow. That looks amazing!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Damn that stance looks badass! When I went to General Grabber AT 205/75R15's, it was a sweet improvement from whatever I had before. Damn, I'm starting to think 215's might've looked savage too. Looking good and making progress: always a great way to start your week!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

That looks so awesome!! Serious goals for my 67, it's going to be the same color scheme and hopefully stance.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
kasper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Looks awesome, great progress!
Are you going to Havasu?
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

kasper wrote:
Looks awesome, great progress!
Are you going to Havasu?

I’m pretty sure I’ll be there, but unless I can get my act together on an interior for this it may be in the doka...
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Got the stance by turning the rear torsions as far down as I could get them and then welding in some beefcake Wagenswest adjusters in the beam. Only difference being I went the other way Very Happy

Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Got my engine finished up and ran it for a bit tonight. I’m pretty excited about it...

2332cc, wedge port, Engle 120 cam, A1 exhaust and IDFs. Bottom end by Painters Grinding and top end by me. Same block that was in my 1960 15 window.

big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Looks really nice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Thank you!

Any Westy experts know if this would have had the rubber mats on the seat pedestals? I don't think this one looked like it had them when I took it apart, but I'm not sure...
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

WillMoss wrote:
Thank you!

Any Westy experts know if this would have had the rubber mats on the seat pedestals? I don't think this one looked like it had them when I took it apart, but I'm not sure...

my 66 westy had them, i think my 64 did too, but it's been a long time

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Woulda' had the mats.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Sweet! Thank you.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

I'm gearing up to bring this back to Encinitas the first week of December.

Getting the original bumpers straightened, painted and mounted.

Put the engine in and took it for a few test laps around the block. Seems good! Just some shifter adjustment and adding a full flow remote oil cooler left. Then tighten the steering components, torque everything, bent lock tabs, cross t's and dot i's!

Link

Front seat covers and pads installed by John's upholsterer.

Next to a campfire! Where it should be... maybe a bit further into nature though.

I just need to figure out how to keep the top closed on the way out. I've zip-tied the hinges in the past and that worked fine, but I'd rather do something more secure.

Does the headliner need to be installed before I put the big grey seal and strap catches in? Also it seems that the seal on the top crushes in the rear before the front... is there any adjustment with making it close more evenly? I was thinking maybe a hinge is bent or something...

I think all that could be addressed later, but if there is a quick fix I'd like to just get it done.
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Loving this thread! It’s great to see another young buck in the game, keep up the great work!
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Well I've really dropped the ball on keeping this one updated, but I've finally got it back after having the paneling and cabinets done for the last year. Took a while, but the wait was worth it.

I had to skip Prado, but was able to get a few nights in up in Big Sur. I'll share some detailed shots of the interior at some point too.

Planning on making some adjustments and then driving this back to Colorado for July, heat permitting...

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Great to meet you at OCTO, Westy looks amazing!
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Beautiful Westy!! It was great to see it in person at OCTO. Such a killer bus, and all the work done is outstanding.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 SO42 Westy Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah, it was great getting to put some faces to names at OCTO. Looking forward to attending more events this summer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: