Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Ghia Interior
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

I'm trying to restore a 66 KG coupe and I would like to bring the upholstery back to original.
According to The Samba Technical and the construction data the fabric is Silver & Black / Platinum or Platinum (All Leatherette)
Does anyone have a clear picture of Platinum so I can try and get a fabric close to it?
I have asked TMI, Sewfine and SMS but all have no idea what it looks like.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

fk63 wrote:
I'm trying to restore a 66 KG coupe and I would like to bring the upholstery back to original.
According to The Samba Technical and the construction data the fabric is Silver & Black / Platinum or Platinum (All Leatherette)
Does anyone have a clear picture of Platinum so I can try and get a fabric close to it?
I have asked TMI, Sewfine and SMS but all have no idea what it looks like.

You're in Australia ? NSW?
The best guy to speak to would be Kevin Fergusson, The Aussie Trimmer. He did my car's interior and he knows how to source the material you will want.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487905&start=0
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...ts=summary

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Thanks Nicholas but I have spoken to Kevin and the car being a 66 confused him. I sent him the build specs and still no luck.
Surely someone has a picture of a car with original upholstery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

fk63 wrote:
Thanks Nicholas but I have spoken to Kevin and the car being a 66 confused him. I sent him the build specs and still no luck.
Surely someone has a picture of a car with original upholstery.

Larmo63's Sea Blue 66 coupe has what appears to be an original platinum interior.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
From the photos it looks similar to an off-white or cream.

If you find materials I'd be interested as well. I've decided I'm going with sea blue for the 66 I'm restoring, and will be looking to do a similar factory color interior.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55chevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
csc23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

I may be of some help, I also have a 66 coupe and have traveled down this road gathering bits for an upcoming restoration. I had a few conversations with the the Aussie trimmer in regards to this subject, and purchased a set of his door cards.

I also happened to speak with Mike at House of Ghia and was able to pick up some SMS (I believe) upholstery fabric for my seats he had left over from a restoration he was doing on a really beautiful Cherry red 66 they were restoring.

My first question would be what color is the car going to be painted?
Is the goal to match the interior with what is “correct” for that color?
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

csc23
I have spoken with Aussie trimmer but no luck. I have sent Mike HOG an email but no response as yet.
My goal is to have a Sea Blue body with Cumulus white roof. My problem is finding Platinum or at least a close match.
The link Era Vulgaris sent was helpful.
The aussie Trimmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

It didn't confuse me Frank; it's just all my information is for all the earlier models and web photos just don't cut it.

I don't have samples for the 66 to start a search for the vinyl and insert basket weave.

If you or someone else has perfect original unadulterated "samples" of the vinyl's and can send some to me, I will be able to start a search.

Not saying I can find the colour but can give it a darn good try, I can get the hounds tooth cloth.
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Kevin
Confused was probably the wrong word.
I am no closer to getting a physical sample but I have been provided some more detail interior photos of Platinum smooth vinyl. I have been able to secure the insert material.
Both TMI & Sewfine are sending samples to me what they believe is as close as possible.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

I'm currently emailing back and forth with SMS. I sent them a photo of Larmo63's interior, and they say they have platinum vinyl, and also that they can reproduce the 61-66 style door panel. I'm waiting for photos from them, and if they look good I'll ask for samples.

You might want to consider contacting them as well.
https://smsautofabrics.com/

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Era
I did contact SMS and they told me they only had the insert cloth material. At the time they said they did not know what Platinum looked like. From what I have seen the Platinum comes smooth and with a pattern (a type of basket weave). I'm looking for the smooth version.
It would be great if they can do both panels and seats.
Look forward to any updates.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Oh shit, I'm an idiot. I just remembered that I bought an original 66 rear parcel shelf cover a few months back from a guy parting out a 66 sea blue coupe. I was going to have a local upholstery shop clean it up and re-attached it to the backing, which is still in perfect shape. I have a sample of original platinum, and I know where you can get more!
The seller was samba member bastardbus.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7088
He also has the original platinum rear quarter panels, but I passed on them because I wanted to be sure my front and rear panels match from the same source. But if you want to buy them to use as a sample, that would work. Be aware, they will need deep cleaning.

Previously owned:
fk63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Wow! Obviously seen better days.
It's hard to pick up the colour due to age of material and pc resolution. Looking at the photo it looks like the edge that has not been exposed is a good idea of the true colour. Are you able to take a photo with a white piece of paper next to it?
Are you saying bastardbus has the material or someone else?
I think getting old quarter panels will standout against new door panels so like you I'll pass on that.
Great work.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Obviously it hasn't been cleaned yet. That's all just dust and grime on there, and should clean off. Yes, the clean part that was folded under would be the original color. I'll snap a pic of it next to a piece of printer paper and post it.

Yes, Bastardbus still has the original rear quarter panels as far as I'm aware. I was saying, since you wanted an original sample of the material, that would be one place to get it. After cleaning it should be close, if not exact, to original. Not necessarily to use them on your car, but just to get a sample of the material. The car they came out of had been stored in a warehouse for decades in Ohio, so the vinyl is only dirty, not sun damaged.

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Here is a photo of a pre-61 style door panel from SMS. Heat seam pressed as original (not sewn seams like Sewfine). Binding is correct as original, along the sides, top, and just around the bottom rear corner.
The rep I've been emailing with knows they've done the 61-66 style before, but couldn't find a pic. Rolling Eyes Oh well. I've decided I'm pulling the trigger on a platinum set. Not sure yet what the lead time will be, but I'll post pics once I have them. Even if the color ends up being not 100% exact, I feel like these will look way better than anything from Sewfine or TMI.

BTW, even though it's not relevant to the 66 platinum interior, if you open the image in a new tab and zoom in, the white center area is even that honeycomb texture vinyl that I've seen on early cars.

Previously owned:
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

SMS has feedback, be prepared for the wait.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723082&highlight=sms
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

It took them about 3 years to get a set done for my 58 Ghia restoration Shocked . Their communication sucks too! Not to mention that you pay 100% up front so you don't have any leverage to get the job done. When they finally finished my set they sent them in a box with no padding and they arrived damaged! They are also mounted on masonite, which I feel is too heavy and I will have to remount the vinyl to a cardboard backing like the original to cut down on the weight.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
It took them about 3 years to get a set done for my 58 Ghia restoration Shocked . Their communication sucks too! Not to mention that you pay 100% up front so you don't have any leverage to get the job done. When they finally finished my set they sent them in a box with no padding and they arrived damaged! They are also mounted on masonite, which I feel is too heavy and I will have to remount the vinyl to a cardboard backing like the original to cut down on the weight.

Yep, i remember you and I think Dwayne and maybe a couple others that had issues with them.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

They only asked for a 50% deposit to get the order started, and said it would take "a few months". Not sure if that means 3 months, 8 months, 15 months Laughing

At any rate I don't see an alternative. I do not want sewn pleats. The sewn pleats are a deal breaker for me. I'm after the original heat pressed seam look, so that means SMS or TMI. And TMI has been absolute radio silence on the several inquiries I sent them over the last couple months on whether they could make their OEM/classic style panel entirely in off-white. If I have to wait, then I'll wait. It's better than spending money somewhere else on something I won't be happy with.

My car hasn't even been painted yet, so I'm in no hurry Cool

Previously owned:
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Ghia Interior Reply with quote

Paid my deposit today, and the clarified lead time was 3-4 months. We'll see if they stick to it Cool

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: