Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 bug rear seat support bar/rail
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been trying to buy the rear seat support bar but seems like no one sells them new. Any other sources you guys know? I know they sell them used but I would really like to buy it new.

thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...r+seat+bar

Try and find a VW wrecker in Ca. These are not hard to find. You just have to know where to look.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
downsbs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Try and find a VW wrecker in Ca. These are not hard to find. You just have to know where to look.

He's looking for a new one.

I don't know that I've seen anyone repopping these.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

downsbs1 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

He's looking for a new one.

I don't know that I've seen anyone repopping these.

I get that. I have never seen a repop of the rear seat support bar. Hence the classifieds post.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

But used. Media blast and powder coat to your preferred color.
Haven’t seen anyone building new and I just finished putting my 64 back together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

thank you all for the feedback. Maybe the only option will be getting a used and sand and paint. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

What is the difference with these between years?
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

I don't really know, maybe none. I'm pretty new on the vw culture. I'm looking for a mechanic so I can learn but for now I'm ordering the "bugme" videos to get started on the most basic things.
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

Hi all,

finally found it! All the way from Texas Laughing

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

Quote:
only option will be getting a used and sand and paint.

made one out of angle iron from Lowe's
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

"bug Me" vids is how I started too. Very helpful.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

Hi Guys, are these rails supposed to have padding on them to protect the bottom edge of the vinyl seat? On the 65 I just bought, there is no padding and the vinyl is gouged and torn just on the bottom edge. Rest of seat is fine. Sad
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:
Hi Guys, are these rails supposed to have padding on them to protect the bottom edge of the vinyl seat? On the 65 I just bought, there is no padding and the vinyl is gouged and torn just on the bottom edge. Rest of seat is fine. Sad

The only insulation is a strip of felt along the bottom of the channel, it can be seen clearly in the reference photo above.

It is common for the seat upholstery to get torn or cut along the bottom outer edges. This happens when the seat cushion is removed/installed for normal battery service/inspection. Stock the seat cushions can be a tight fit but they can get even worse if they use too much padding when the seat is reupholstered. Normally the damage gets hidden when the seat is back down in it's rest position.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce. I wish I could fix so it does not get worse.
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 bug rear seat support bar/rail Reply with quote

My car had a strip of thin felt (or maybe jute?) padding. It was maybe 1/8" thick and ran the length of the rail.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: