Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new? Reply with quote

Question Question Subject: 1955 beetle.

Been trying to figure out if I should try to re-chrome certain original parts listed below, or just buy (the best) new parts when available. I have found quite a few options which is encouraging, but I am torn on whether the shape is correct enough, general quality, and whether it is worth it. Found several options for door handles. Here is my list and assessment so far. I am not considering any Brazilian manufactures.

Door handles. C&C seem like the best through CIP1. WW has Taiwan made sets.
Locking deck lid handle: Some supposed new German units there. Others Taiwan
Speaker Grille: Several vendors
Snowflake taillight bezels: WW
Interior rear view mirror: WW
Ashtray bezel and knob
Rear ashtray parts
Glove box latch
Turn signal lever rod.
Wing window frames (ribbed doors)
Door window guides
Wiper shaft washers
Inside door handles and window winders

My plan is to go all out and make it like new. I would appreciate any advice from the experts out there.

And, what chrome shops do folks use these days for show quality finish without grinding the part out of shape to remove pits, for example?

Cool Cool
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new? Reply with quote

I'm not an expert, but I went with re-chroming everything. I didn't work out if it was cheaper, but all up I think it was ~$600. This is in Australia, so the cost of getting everything new and shipped is probably around that anyway. So for the knowledge that everything would fit perfectly, it was worth it. The only new chrome I bought was bumpers and hubcaps - which would be in the thousands to re-chrome.

Just a note on your list as well:
- Rear view mirror I don't think is chromed?
- Turn signal lever rod should not be chrome
- Door window guides you will need new ones that fit new seals

Finally make sure you dismantle everything first - T-handle and door handles in particular will need the barrels and pins all removed.

Here's a photo that shows a fair bit of what you're planning on - everything chrome you can see here I had re-chromed after 40 years sitting in sheds.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new? Reply with quote

If you can find a reputable shop that does restoration level triple plating (and can afford it) I'd go that route. Hard to k ow the quality of reproduction parts and the plating applied. It all looks pretty shiny when new.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new? Reply with quote

So far I will have to do a mix of new and re-chrome. I just do not have all the parts needed for a complete replate.

nic_ my outside mirror is missing so I have to buy the new one. Same with hub caps and bumpers.

What is the situation with the door window guides? The ribbed door types guide is different than the 56 and later on where it mounts.

My wing window frames are rather deeply pitted and again they are unique to the 55 and older cars. I hope a shop can properly fix that.

I still need to find a good plating shop. None exist in the Portland OR area. Probably will search in California. Or maybe Seattle.
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new? Reply with quote

Sorry I just realised you’re talking about the divider bar - not the chrome window surround that attaches to the window seal. The divider bar should definitely be chromed.

I had pretty bad pitting on a lot of parts, but once they were taken back to bare metal they came up like new. A few before and after of the door handles below.

Best of luck finding someone - there’s two people left in Melbourne doing chrome. It’s certainly not a healthy profession.

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new? Reply with quote

Wow those turned out beautiful! I hope mine turn out as good. My handles actually have less pitting than what yours were.

Thanks!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new? Reply with quote

Art Brass Plating in Seattle is probably one of the best in W. Wash.
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I re-chrome my misc parts, or buy good new? Reply with quote

Hi Eric&Barb,

I will get in contact with them. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: