Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Nice clean install.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Picked up a brown map pocket for the wife side. Used PVC glue to fix some cracks in the screw holes. Painted with what looked like a match, not so much. Mounted it back and up a little, so the glove box door clears. Map pocket $25.00, paint $6.00, Total $31.00, RT $27562.67
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

This is my spare tire solution. Mercedes fifty/fifty tire on 18 inch aluminum rim. Rolling diameter is slightly smaller so it only will work on the front. So if I blow a rear it gets a front and the front gets the spare. Kind of a pain but my lug nuts work and it fits in the clamshell, sort of. TIre and wheel $50.00, Hardware $15.00, Total $65.00, RT $27612.67

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

I changed up my emblems. Also found a passenger side NOS tail light still in it's original VW- Audi box, still looking for one for the driver side. It's hard to see but it's brighter looking and no cracks. Emblems $45.00, tail light $50.00, Total $95.00, RT $27707.67

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Picked up a like new GW receiver hitch, bolted up super solid. I like the versatility of the receiver, ball hitch, bike rack, hitch tray, whatever. GW hitch $125.00, RT $27832.67

vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

A few things I forgot to list. Mesh light guard $25.00
Back up camera $45.00
Water temp gage for on board water tank $42.00
Heavy leather belt to secure bed in case of sudden stops $50.00
Satellite radio, priceless. Car installation kit $65.00
Garmin was a gift from my father-in-law
Large black towels, double duty as curtains and towels $36.00
$28095.67
New bumper ends all around $40.00
Total $303.00 RT $28135.67
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

And a few more. All new front window seals and felts, $270.00. Front window vents, $95.00
rubber floor mats, $98.50
Rain deflectors no pic, explanation later $60.00 rear hatch seal, $70.00, Front door seals, $120.00, Queen size memery fome mattress, $400.00. I made widow covers for every window, Reflex sandwiched between a lite interior fabric and expensive sun proof black to the outside. Held up by rare earth magnets. Materials $130.00
Total $1243.50 RT $29379.17
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Ok folks that about catches up on my build. I have purchased but not installed, a complete six window gasket kit, $275.00. Heavy duty SA rear drums, $300.00. ARB awning with lights $350.00. Early lockable front spindle nuts. $35.00. GW third brake light. $34.00. Hardware store runs more times than you would believe, nuts bolts, paints and sealers, this and that. At least $500.00. likely somewhat more. Total $1494.00. So the total to this point $30873.17. Things left to do, GPS speedometer maybe new tack too. I kind of like the plastic flairs but at $450.00 maybe not, unless there looking to sponsor team drivers. The last thing I want-need is a hightop, I think I will build my own. When I'll get it started or even better finished is hard to say. If the boarder to Mexico stays closed maybe buy next spring. when life gives you lemons make lemonade. Well that's about it, I will update here an there on how the mods are working out. Tell then I hope you enjoyed the ride, I mean read. Later, Mark Smile
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Been driving camping and loving my van. It's so amazing having it back on the road. She drives like modern rig now, very solid handling, but not harsh at all. Best of all she goes like stink, climbing up to Mount Hood on hwy 35 no problem. Third gear very cofortable at 60-65 with power to spare. I installed my ARB, very pleased with it, everything you need yet lite and tidy. Hardware $ 20.00

I also decided the van was a bit to loud, so I picked up a Super Trapp. It's worked out great quieted it down just enough. Bonus it's a USFS approved spark suppressor. Bonus bonus now Vino doesn't blow up a cloud of dust at campsites any more.

Super Trapp $110.00, Total $130.00, RT $31003.17
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: restoration and modification and cost of my 87 Tin Top Reply with quote

Well it's time for an update and a question. Vino was in storage for the winter and I have not been out in her much yet this year. She's running great but I was crawling around underneath checking for any lose fasteners and I found this.

Manuel trans, Porsche 930 axels and CVJs.
1500 miles on Power flex trans bushing. Looks like an obvious alignment issue. With the van on th ground I tried moving the axels in and out, passenger side had maybe one eighth of movement, driver side had none. I loosened the slotted adjustment on my SC engine mount and shifted the engine a solid quarter inch to the passenger side. Now I have about one sixteenth of movement on the passenger side and maybe a hair of movement on the driver side.Front mount is better but still off buy one eighth. Last chance is to loosen my mustache bar bolts to get a hair of adjustment there beyond that I'm kind of stumped. Mount has cut the lip of the bushing almost through. Any suggestions?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: