Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
The Corvair fan is very similar to the type 1, only it is also "tall" in the middle.

Some are like this one on flea bay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293328863441?chn=ps&g
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
Alstrup wrote:
The Corvair fan is very similar to the type 1, only it is also "tall" in the middle.

Some are like this one on flea bay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/293328863441?chn=ps&g
....................................well it seems this type of fan worked great on a corvair .it just might work great on the type 1 . i am going to buy one of the fan for the type 1 spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

One day I’ll make type 1 cylinder tins to suit my shroud design that was inspired by looking at the VW flat cooling systems . This fan would be an interesting combination . Only 2 small guide vanes needed .My heads run cool now so no need to try it with the current set up . Just turn the shroud upside down and you will see what I mean . Just a remote cooler needed . It gives really good Carb ,manifold access .

I’m surprised that only a very few have tried to develop a more efficient fan , with aerofoil shaped blades . I have seen an alloy fan modified from a type 4 fan for a type 1 housing which looked very nice but I wondered at the RPM range etc .
I also play with RC planes as a hobby , EDF jets are electric ducted fans powered jets. The fan design and fit can make a big difference to performance and how much power is used to get that performance .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

My friend owned a VW Repair shop in the 60 and 70's it was called Wagon Village, because VW had lawyers go after him for the original name Volkswagen Village.

Enough trivia !!

He worked on many Squarebacks and said they all had one thing in common.

The bug with the same 1600 engine usually needed a valve job at 80k.

The Squarebacks ( I should have send all Type 3s ) all went to 100k to 110k.

He thought it had something to do with better control of the engines heat due to the fuel injection.

BUt now listing to you guys, it sounds like the why the T-3's took in air thru the side vents and the design of the shroud with the two fans, and the Fuel Injections was the answer.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

The air inlet on the Beetle is below the rear window so should not be that much different than the type 3. If of course your engine compartment is still as air tight as when it left VW.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
My friend owned a VW Repair shop in the 60 and 70's it was called Wagon Village, because VW had lawyers go after him for the original name Volkswagen Village.

Enough trivia !!

He worked on many Squarebacks and said they all had one thing in common.

The bug with the same 1600 engine usually needed a valve job at 80k.

The Squarebacks ( I should have send all Type 3s ) all went to 100k to 110k.

He thought it had something to do with better control of the engines heat due to the fuel injection.

BUt now listing to you guys, it sounds like the why the T-3's took in air thru the side vents and the design of the shroud with the two fans, and the Fuel Injections was the answer.

Yes.....^^^^^.....its the combined whole.

And a little more than meets the eye is going on.

In a conversation last night....I explained that there are three "basic" types of centrifugal fan each with a handful of blade cross section variations ....and an endless variety to design changes in for applications.

But....the three basic types each have a fairly specific range of air volume, static pressure, rpm, power requirement and sensitivity to the chamber or shroud they can work in.

Forward incline blades: (type 3 and type 4 both have forward inclined blades)

Reverse incline blades: (type 1 has reverse inclined blades)

Radial blades (the one in this thread is a radial blade fan)

Further tuning is done by blade cross section....flat.....curved....airfoil shape.

Back to the type 3.....there are lots of subtle differences in sheet metal, air guidance by the tin, the fact that the fan is crank driven, the forward incline fan (which requires less power to reach its static pressure and volume peak at a lower rpm)......ducted air inlet....which probably means cooler inlet air at aome points in time....mainly depending on level of maintenance like oprn was getting at......and.....I would like to think that better fuel mixture was helped by the fuel injection......veraus twin carbs......but past a certaij mileage/age the average owner and non dealer mechanics had as much trouble as anything.

The other outer fan.....a wild card. I just have no data. I cannot see hkw it DOES NOT help.....mainly as a feeder fan.

The reverse incline fan like the type 1 has......can produce higher volume and when it gets to higher rpms....higher static pressure.....but it needs the rpm.

In the conversation I was having last night.....I stated something incorrect. I said that the type 1 and 3 were both reverse inclined fans.

Whe. You have them laying on the table next to each other....this is true.....but in the type 1 the inlet faces forward in the car.....the crwnk turns clockwise...turning the generator clockwise.....turning the fan clockwise. But when facing forward in the car...this means that the blades fave rearward versus the rotation.

On the type 3....roughly the same fan.....has its inlet faving rearward in the car. This means that its blades are forward with the rotation.

Both of these type fans.....forward and rearward are very different in one respect. The forward facing fan blades need a lot more critical tuning to the chamber/housing (or as Ohio Tom correctly called it.....the volute).....to maintain the correct static pressure liading and negative pressure drop.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

The Type 3 fan is huge!

Here's a pic with the fan mounted to the crankshaft but with the fan housing split so you can see the size of it (sorry bad angle).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It makes sense that it would need to be bigger than the Type 1 fan given that it spins at crankshaft speed whereas the Type 1 fan, because of the smaller pulley on the generator (relative to crank pulley size), spins faster than crankshaft speed.

And of course when the Type 3 came out it was 1500cc from the beginning, at a time when the Beetle was still what, 1200 or 1300cc?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

Not to turn this into a type 3 fan thread...

but I can hear the fan sucking air through the vents on my notch at idle, but it amazing how quickly heat builds up - especially the back seat, when the cooling bellows pops off the mount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Not to turn this into a type 3 fan thread...

but I can hear the fan sucking air through the vents on my notch at idle, but it amazing how quickly heat builds up - especially the back seat, when the cooling bellows pops off the mount.

Yes....because the type 3 engine bay is not sealed off top to bottom. That bellows pops off...and its pulling air right off the muffler.

Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

Im not impressed with his test jig, no restrictions to build pressure like real world full tined out engine. where/what rpm does the fan come appart at?hoiw many high rpm shift cycles has it had to test for slippage at the coupler. what rpm does it get cavitation? I could see this good on a bus if it does flow more with full tinware installed, and possiably cars /buggys too. if it truly does flow that much more air with all the tinware on the engine then a power pully should bring back hp and keep cooling as well. witch would also be great for bus applications as well as everything else. theroys and real world are not always the same thing. a lot of air can be pumped with no restrictions, but add the restrictions and you can get bleed by and loss of flow. real world test would be nice to see. not just a electroick spin up on a bench with no tin and no heads&cylinders& case & lower tin... just my thoughts. I truley hope this works. if it does I will get atleast 1. Ive seen to many "this is it" products that were in reality junk. and some of those were in production for decades...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Im not impressed with his test jig, no restrictions to build pressure like real world full tined out engine. where/what rpm does the fan come appart at?hoiw many high rpm shift cycles has it had to test for slippage at the coupler. what rpm does it get cavitation? I could see this good on a bus if it does flow more with full tinware installed, and possiably cars /buggys too. if it truly does flow that much more air with all the tinware on the engine then a power pully should bring back hp and keep cooling as well. witch would also be great for bus applications as well as everything else. theroys and real world are not always the same thing. a lot of air can be pumped with no restrictions, but add the restrictions and you can get bleed by and loss of flow. real world test would be nice to see. not just a electroick spin up on a bench with no tin and no heads&cylinders& case & lower tin... just my thoughts. I truley hope this works. if it does I will get atleast 1. Ive seen to many "this is it" products that were in reality junk. and some of those were in production for decades...

^^^^....its a big question in my mind as well.

One thing about this fan "TYPE"....they are very much less prone to cavitation because they have very little negative space on the back side of the blades. They are the closest to JUST centrifugal force and rotation speed to accelerate air.

Even though this fan appears to be a hybrid in design compared to an industrial version of a radial fan where the blades are the same size/height from center to side....the radial fan type needs high rpm and will create a LOT of static pressure. Without testing in an actual shroud.....this can be a problem.

And dont anyone get bent...this is a type 4 example (but type 1's have some of this issue too) Wink ....Years ago...Jake Raby found that one of the biggest problems with getting cooling air to make the 90* turns and go downward between cylinders in areas like back on the forward side of cylinder #3...was that the cooling air stacks up static pressure back in that low tin area. It causes a blockage to further air inlet...and causes turbulence that prevents the air from turning corners.

I found some of the same issues with my tools...but did not quite know why it was happening (just did not have enough knowledge at that point).

Have to test this in a real world shroud. Ray
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

On a bus this fan design also has the effect of making sure that chunks of the engine bay foam seal will end up deep inside the fan housing caught in the air guide fins or jammed in the head fins ...

rather than orbiting noisily inside the fan.

And if it works better, it will do a better job of sucking out any badly fitted foam seal..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

^^^^....its a big question in my mind as well.

One thing about this fan "TYPE"....they are very much less prone to cavitation because they have very little negative space on the back side of the blades. They are the closest to JUST centrifugal force and rotation speed to accelerate air.

Even though this fan appears to be a hybrid in design compared to an industrial version of a radial fan where the blades are the same size/height from center to side....the radial fan type needs high rpm and will create a LOT of static pressure. Without testing in an actual shroud.....this can be a problem.

And dont anyone get bent...this is a type 4 example (but type 1's have some of this issue too) Wink ....Years ago...Jake Raby found that one of the biggest problems with getting cooling air to make the 90* turns and go downward between cylinders in areas like back on the forward side of cylinder #3...was that the cooling air stacks up static pressure back in that low tin area. It causes a blockage to further air inlet...and causes turbulence that prevents the air from turning corners.

I found some of the same issues with my tools...but did not quite know why it was happening (just did not have enough knowledge at that point).

Have to test this in a real world shroud. Ray

Just as an fyi, the video of my test rig was for the first phase of prototyping. Right after that, I built an upgraded test rig that has a complete mocked up engine with all tin, the deflectors in the cylinder heads, and even push rod tubes, plugs and plug wires.

Oh, including the thermostat flaps too.

All final product measurements were done on the upgraded test rig, and of course on my test engine, which is a 2324 cc (95mm x 82mm) engine with MS230 cylinder heads and CB Performance Gen 4 fuel injection.

This test engine produces somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-230 horsepower.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

Hey everyone, this is Andrig with Andrig's Aircooled Technology.

Thanks for all the interest in my new product.

To answer some of the speculation on this thread, let me say that this product took me a couple of years to release. It was a real challenge. Out performing the OEM fan in the existing fan shroud and tin is not easy. That wasn't even my original goal, but a nice side effect of some design choices I made in the fall of last year.

So, the fan is a one piece design, and specifically designed to be injection molded. Materials have come a long way recently. I am keeping the exact material a trade secret at the moment, but it is a material that can withstand temperatures well above 405 degrees without weakening, is chemical resistant to all automotive fluids, and alcohols, as well as not being reactive to battery acid vapors. It's plenty strong enough to withstand the forces placed on it via the stock steel mounting hub (as long as it is torqued to my specification) as well.

The fan is a lot lighter, being 74% lighter than an welded OEM fan.

Technically, the fan is a straight blade radial centrifugal fan. So, to answer one of the questions on this thread, it moves air at 90 degrees to the inlet, just like the stock fan. In fact, if you spin the fan in clear air it will suck you in if you stand in front of it. You can only feel outward airflow if you stand on the side at 90 degrees.

Someone mentioned the Corvair fan, and yes this design is similar. My blade shape is very different from the Corvair fan, which they introduced to eliminate their fan belt from jumping off. My blade design was somewhat dictated by the internals of the Doghouse shroud.
, and of course the amount of air flow I wanted to achieve.

Someone mentioned noise. This fan is slightly louder than an OEM fan, but when sitting in the car the difference is minimal. It does produce a higher pitched sound though, so the younger someone is the more likely they will notice the difference Wink

So, in short the fan is light, strong, and produces 7 to 8% more cfm through the entire shroud and tin with all deflectors, thermostat flaps, plugs and wires, pushrod tubes, etc. Everything that can create static pressure in place.

I have an entire cooling system under design as well, which will take everything I have learned from the fan design, and cooling system design using some great reference materials, and apply them to the entire system. The goal will be to have completely even cooling on each cylinder head and cylinder, along with increased cooling capacity. The target will be for engines that need significant more cooling capacity.

Thanks again for all the interest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

ok thats awesome, show the real world ## with only balde swap. then also do it on some more vw cheepass people frendly engines...std 2276,1904,1776 etc with vw style heads& all the normal used cooling tins installed and sealing. that way the end user can see the end result that they may see somewhat closer.and loaded as in real world usage would be nice to see .dyno,track cars,etc. I hope you fan really works as well as you state.or atleast as good as the wide fans we have now. I have a bathroom fan with a blade like that one in your vid...it dont blow squat out the exit. but it sure blows air around& recirculates it. Ive built quite a few jet pumps mixed and axial flow . and when the clearances are right there awesome...when there too wide..not so much.but they still load the engine, your just not going anywhere fast.
as for rays type 1 & type 3 comparason..with bladeds angled positive & negitive/forward&reverse....hell I figured the type 3 fan pulled the heat out and blew it out the back.. Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes what a concept a puller fan!!!
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
ok thats awesome, show the real world ## with only balde swap. then also do it on some more vw cheepass people frendly engines...std 2276,1904,1776 etc with vw style heads& all the normal used cooling tins installed and sealing. that way the end user can see the end result that they may see somewhat closer.and loaded as in real world usage would be nice to see .dyno,track cars,etc. I hope you fan really works as well as you state.or atleast as good as the wide fans we have now. I have a bathroom fan with a blade like that one in your vid...it dont blow squat out the exit. but it sure blows air around& recirculates it. Ive built quite a few jet pumps mixed and axial flow . and when the clearances are right there awesome...when there too wide..not so much.but they still load the engine, your just not going anywhere fast.
as for rays type 1 & type 3 comparason..with bladeds angled positive & negitive/forward&reverse....hell I figured the type 3 fan pulled the heat out and blew it out the back.. Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes what a concept a puller fan!!!

Yeah, I plan some additional videos, of my test engine, so people can see it installed.

My test engine has everything you talk about, and it even has a thermostat flaps with an actual thermostat. But I couldn't test the fan to 8,000 RPM with a low cost engine, so that wouldn't have achieved what I needed for releasing the product.

If it works on my high end motor, which produces much more horsepower than most engines out there, then it will work on the lower end motors that are more common.

In fact, if you live in a very hot climate, even a stock motor would benefit from the fan.

Also, at $89, it's about the same price as a welded fan, so no one has much to loose.

Thanks.
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the "real world numbers". I could tell everyone the CFM numbers I measured, but the problem with that is if someone else measured it, would their equipment adjust for air density like my equipment does (I tested at 5,420 ft. above sea level, and my ambient air temperature at the time was in the 60's, with 14% humidity). Someone else could get wildly different numbers, and then say I'm lying. That's why I only advertise and talk about the percentage increase.

I know a lot of people try to measure CFM with a simple air flow meter, but those really only measure air speed, and cannot tell you actual CFM, even the ones that say they tell you CFM. You have to know the area of the outlet, and it's shape, and you have to measure the airflow at enough points across the outlet (using a pitot tube) to get a decent CFM reading. It's quite involved to get accurate CFM measurements on the cooling system.

One of the interesting things I learned in developing this product was that the stock Doghouse cooling system doesn't actually cool each side of the engine the same. The complexity of the position of the fan, being offset to the 1/2 cylinder side, and the air directional vanes inside the shroud do a fairly decent job, but you still get around 7% more cooling air to the 1/2 side of the engine than the 3/4 side of the engine. That's at a specific fan RPM too, but it changes as the fan RPM changes. That's the disadvantage of using such a complex set of air directional vanes. They don't perform the same at different air flow rates. The behavior changes as air flow increases and decreases with engine speed (fan speed).

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, I'm very comfortable with this product and that it performs as I say that it does, or I would have never released the product.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

andrig's wrote:
Hey everyone, this is Andrig with Andrig's Aircooled Technology.

Thanks for all the interest in my new product.

To answer some of the speculation on this thread, let me say that this product took me a couple of years to release. It was a real challenge. Out performing the OEM fan in the existing fan shroud and tin is not easy. That wasn't even my original goal, but a nice side effect of some design choices I made in the fall of last year.

So, the fan is a one piece design, and specifically designed to be injection molded. Materials have come a long way recently. I am keeping the exact material a trade secret at the moment, but it is a material that can withstand temperatures well above 405 degrees without weakening, is chemical resistant to all automotive fluids, and alcohols, as well as not being reactive to battery acid vapors. It's plenty strong enough to withstand the forces placed on it via the stock steel mounting hub (as long as it is torqued to my specification) as well.

The fan is a lot lighter, being 74% lighter than an welded OEM fan.

Technically, the fan is a straight blade radial centrifugal fan. So, to answer one of the questions on this thread, it moves air at 90 degrees to the inlet, just like the stock fan. In fact, if you spin the fan in clear air it will suck you in if you stand in front of it. You can only feel outward airflow if you stand on the side at 90 degrees.

Someone mentioned the Corvair fan, and yes this design is similar. My blade shape is very different from the Corvair fan, which they introduced to eliminate their fan belt from jumping off. My blade design was somewhat dictated by the internals of the Doghouse shroud.
, and of course the amount of air flow I wanted to achieve.

Someone mentioned noise. This fan is slightly louder than an OEM fan, but when sitting in the car the difference is minimal. It does produce a higher pitched sound though, so the younger someone is the more likely they will notice the difference Wink

So, in short the fan is light, strong, and produces 7 to 8% more cfm through the entire shroud and tin with all deflectors, thermostat flaps, plugs and wires, pushrod tubes, etc. Everything that can create static pressure in place.

I have an entire cooling system under design as well, which will take everything I have learned from the fan design, and cooling system design using some great reference materials, and apply them to the entire system. The goal will be to have completely even cooling on each cylinder head and cylinder, along with increased cooling capacity. The target will be for engines that need significant more cooling capacity.

Thanks again for all the interest.
..............................................................hi andrig thanks for posting on my forum. your post his been real help full..to all . . because i think its a great fan . i will be buying one soon . i have a dick landy super charged motor that. i think might run hotter . in the lower rpm range from 1,300 rpm to 2,500 rpm range. i think your fan will do a better job than a stock fan on cooling my motor take care spencerfvee
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

Oh, there was one thing I forgot to say. Someone mentioned they hoped it was made in China.

No, it's not made in China.

Designed by myself, and I'm in Colorado, and it is injection molded outside of Detroit.

So, designed and manufactured right here in the US.
andrig's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new bigger type 1 fan that pushes more air cast as one peace Reply with quote

Quote:
..............................................................hi andrig thanks for posting on my forum. your post his been real help full..to all . . because i think its a great fan . i will be buying one soon . i have a dick landy super charged motor that. i think might run hotter . in the lower rpm range from 1,300 rpm to 2,500 rpm range. i think your fan will do a better job than a stock fan on cooling my motor take care spencerfvee

You're very welcome, and thanks for the opportunity, it's really appreciated.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: