Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1385 with Dual Solex 34s - Tuning Issue - SOLVED
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tusk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: 1385 with Dual Solex 34s - Tuning Issue - SOLVED Reply with quote

Hello all!
So I'm having a hell of a time trying to tune my 1385, surprisingly running super lean.

1300 SP heads
SVDA 90mm Dizzy
Dual Solex 34s
22mm Venturis
There are two jets marked for 130, one at the bottom of the bowl, one in the throat. Theres a jet outside the carb on the side thats marked 50
Not only did I buy a metric shit ton of jets that are all smaller than the factory jets, but I only bought one of each.

Symptoms;
Starts right up, idles stupid high and theres a ton of white smoke. Unresponsive to mixture screw adjustment, which at this point, I have just barely hanging on by a thread. I would imagine this means I have to jet up?
I have a syncrometer on it as well, 3/4 carb is pulling 30 kg/h, 1/2 carb is pulling 10 kg/h.

How the hell do I sync these up?
Am I correct in thinking I need to jet up?
And of course, how the hell do I tune these? I am quite familiar with these engines but I've never done anything with dual carbs and can't seem to find anything on tuning these carbs specifically.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks.
1964 Beetle - Rita - Restoration in Progress
1971 Squareback - Joanie - Sold
1961 Beetle - Daphne - Sold

Last edited by Tusk on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1385 with Dual Solex 34s - Tuning Issue Reply with quote

Not exactly the same but similar:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Tusk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1385 with Dual Solex 34s - Tuning Issue Reply with quote

bcrazy wrote:
Not exactly the same but similar:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Thanks! I called in a buddy of mine with much more experience with dual carbs than I. We found that the throttle plates were actually binding and not returning to a fully closed position, in fact, they were never starting at one either. So the idle was stupid high. We also found that the 3/4 carb was pulling vacuum at idle. I had initially been using that carb for a vacuum signal to the distributor simply because the port looked to be the right size, the other carb had a 1/4" vacuum port. Turns out thats the one I had to be using, albeit with an adapter to step the line size down. After we sorted that, we followed the typical dual carb tuning procedure and it worked out great. Little engine runs pretty strong.
1964 Beetle - Rita - Restoration in Progress
1971 Squareback - Joanie - Sold
1961 Beetle - Daphne - Sold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: