Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Sweaty Nightmare
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

i'm going to have to get my 13 yr old to blog about how terrible the Vanagon trips are so we can afford a set of 2.1 main bearings.

BiWerks Design, LLC
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

I subscribe to the Post so I don't mind clicking the link. If I got the print edition and the article was in it, I'd probably read it there as well. Somebody's personal blog, that's a different story.

Would Samba member Chris Dixon's outstanding, timeless article in the NYT be click bait as well? Or is this one okay because it's positive?

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/18/travel/driving-...Position=8

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I subscribe to the Post so I don't mind clicking the link. If I got the print edition and the article was in it, I'd probably read it there as well. Somebody's personal blog, that's a different story.

Would Samba member Chris Dixon's outstanding, timeless article in the NYT be click bait as well? Or is this one okay because it's positive?

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/18/travel/driving-...Position=8
It *IS* click bait.
The difference is that Chris is willing and able to adjust to his situation, whereas the girl in Hawaii (who has never been camoping before by the sound of it) seems to be expecting a five star hotel suite on wheels!!!

Of course she's disappointed...she's ignorant.

Probably broke the ankle falling off the roof trying to re-create some "Yoga Girl on the Roof" pose. Rolling Eyes
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

Which articles in the Washington post and NY Times are not click bait?

How do you tell?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
i'm going to have to get my 13 yr old to blog about how terrible the Vanagon trips are so we can afford a set of 2.1 main bearings.

If he becomes an influencer those sponsors will be throwing main bearings at you, gratis!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

How do you tell?

Let alone thesamba.com? I've posted videos here and expect my big pay-day any day now.

341 views!

Link

89 views!

Link

106 views!

Link

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

#vanlifewithdad
#itsworsethanyouimagined
#kayaksandtrains
#nofun

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:

You mean when he's not trolling vintage automotive forums with tall tales of $2300 Dokas? Smile

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Chris actually owned and worked on enough Vanagons to have an informed opinion on them. Unlike Miss "it's hot on Maui and I didn't realize lodging costs money and that there's not really any camping".

I can't say it enough, Chris' "Ghost Wave" was one of my top 2 favorite books (one of only 3 I've ever read twice). I lent it to a friend but probably need to ask to get it back.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
joetiger wrote:

Chris actually owned and worked on enough Vanagons to have an informed opinion on them. Unlike Miss "it's hot on Maui and I didn't realize lodging costs money and that there's not really any camping".

I can't say it enough, Chris' "Ghost Wave" was one of my top 2 favorite books (one of only 3 I've ever read twice). I lent it to a friend but probably need to ask to get it back.

Chris is a talented and outstanding writer; you'll get no argument from me.

I used the example not as a comparison of the merits of the writers, but the publications in which they appeared. Hopefully without opening a can of wildly inappropriate worms, I trust that what I click on NYT or WaPo or other known, established sources is going to be of value whereas an inflammatory piece from an unverified website is, well, clickbait. YMMV.

The content of the article, another vanlife-curious greenhorn finding out it isn't for them, was not clickbait any more than any other vetted, edited articles that the Post publishes. That was the point I was clumsily attempting to make.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Merian wrote:

How do you tell?

Let alone thesamba.com? I've posted videos here and expect my big pay-day any day now.

341 views!

Link

89 views!

Link

106 views!

Link

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Applause Applause Applause

nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

How do you tell?

After much thought, I have this suggestion:

- Much of the content on the internet is produced to attract and retain traffic for profit.
- Clickbait is a pejorative term used to describe a subset above content. Characteristics of clickbait can include: sensationalist title referencing a trending topic (check); intentionally controversial content that prompts debate in the comments or in venues where it's forwarded (check); the content also typically appeals to base sensibilities such as schadenfreude, tribalism/nationalism, sexism, ageism and other isms (check).

Wikipedia defines clickbait...

Quote:
...a defining characteristic of being deceptive, typically sensationalized or misleading.[2][3] A "teaser" aims to exploit the "curiosity gap", providing just enough information to make readers of news websites curious, but not enough to satisfy their curiosity without clicking through to the linked content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clickbait

This article fits reasonably well in the clickbait category creating a curiosity gap by mentioning #vanlife and the crazy rental car shortage.

Abscate wrote:

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hot Sweaty Nightmare Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
A "teaser" aims to exploit the "curiosity gap", providing just enough information to make readers of news websites curious, but not enough to satisfy their curiosity without clicking through to the linked content.

like some non-descript topics right here on The Samba. today's Pg 1 examples

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755766

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755715

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: