Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where is the sink pump fuse?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surf4444
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where and what the sink pump fuse looks like? Mine has worked fine since I purchased my Westy and all of sudden stopped pumping and I suspect its a fuse issue. Does anyone have a picture of what that looks like or any further advice? Thanks!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Look on the B pillar behind the drivers seat very close to the westy kitchen unit. Small black box with two fuses.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
surf4444
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this it? If so, how do I go about changing those fuses and where do I get the replacements? I havent done this yet, thank you for the help!
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

That is a relay someone added. I don't have one there. At least in the older campers, the fuses for the sink and fridge are on the floor beside the driver's seat. It is a little black box with red wires. Unscrew the silver screw in the middle and you'll see the two fuses. One is 16 amp (red) and goes to the fridge, the other is 8 amp (white) and goes to the sink pump and LED lights on the stove panel. I can't ever remember which is in front without looking.

Are the stove panel lights working? Flip the toggle and see if the battery and water lights come on. If not, and they were before - that would suggest the fuse.

(edit) BTW - Mine are the old-style fuses and you can usually still find them at your FLAPS. The colors indicate the amperage.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown

Last edited by B.O.B.Wanders on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Not my photo, but the location & box are the same as on my '84:

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Show us a pic of what is behind the drivers seat, between the seat and the kitchen, nice wide view please and hopefully we can point out the fuse holder.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
surf4444
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Here are couple more shots:

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

You might also mention what year that is - looks like it might be an air-cooled?
surf4444
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Yes, it is a 1981 air cooled Westy
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

The '80-'81s have their camper equipment wired into the main fuse panel (Bentley manual page 97.32b). The sink pump goes to fuse 5. Fridge uses fuses 4 & 6.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surf4444
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

I just ran outside and replaced Fuse 5 but still nothing. Must be something else I suppose? I am heading into Mesa West for a big check up next week and I guess I can just tack that on to the list. Thanks for your help!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

surf4444 wrote:
I just ran outside and replaced Fuse 5 but still nothing. Must be something else I suppose?

Check for power at the pump connection. If power is there, could be a faulty pump. If no power, then there's something electrical gone bad between the pump and the fuse.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

As kamz said, start by using a voltmeter to check for 12 volts at the leads to the pump with the faucet turned on the faucet knob is actually an electrical switch that completes the circuit that sends power to the pump (at least that how it was in later years, I’m not sure about ‘81).

If there isn’t 12v at the pump the circuit can be incomplete at several places: connections throughout the circuit, faucet switch, fuse, etc.

If the pump was accidentally left on it may have been burnt out. This can happen when someone not familiar with the van pokes around or cleans and turns the faucet knob.

It can be fixed!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

In my '84, there is another, in-line fuse, near the pump, under the pump cover ("cover 1" on page 76.18 in Bentley).
It's one of those glass tube type fuses in a plastic twist case.

Bentley does not show the fuse I'm talking about, and it may have been an add-on by P.O., but looks "stock".

W
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

If this is the blue cylindrical pump (like on my 84) it can get stuck - especially if it sat dry for awhile.

If it isn't stuck too bad you can often free it up by pulling it out (no need to disconnect anything) and flipping the impeller on the bottom. If the impeller breaks free and spins then try running the pump.
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Has anyone opted to wire these into a standard fuse box with the rest of their custom added accessories ? Not a fan of how tricky these fuses are to replace
franrose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can by the small fuse box cover for the two fuses behind the drivers seat??
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the sink pump fuse? Reply with quote

OldSpice wrote:
Has anyone opted to wire these into a standard fuse box with the rest of their custom added accessories?

That's exactly what I did with a Blue Seas panel.

FWIW, after you remove the wires from the OEM fuse block, you can pull that small wire loom out of the larger main loom, where the two wires are individually spliced to their respective fridge/pump wires. (I.E., there is a lot of extra wire hiding in that main loom.)
2016 Golf GTI S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: