Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

I'll start by saying 27mm or 1-1/16" socket....but....since I'm 25 years removed, curious if anything better?

That torquemeister is truly a cool tool. Wish I had that 30 years ago.

I've read some older posts of people ditching the 27mm double-nuts up front for balljoint type split nuts?? Is that true?? Or stick w/ doubles?

(I noticed last weekend my driver side has both nuts bound together tightly. Need a better socket to separate the two so I can get the drum off)

TIA as usual! Wink
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

I use 2 wrenches. Both made by Snap-On. The inside wrench is one that one of the older VW mechanics I wrenched with, gave to me. It might be about 3/32” thick. It slides in perfectly onto the inside nut.

If I needed one now, I would probably just make one out is some steel plate. Easy enough. If I remember, I will snap a picture of the wrench and post it here.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbo! I’ll be looking out at Prado this weekend. Would love to find a thin 27mm. Cool Wink

If not I may just make something. Thanks again!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

Here it is!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ed Guffy gave me this on his way out the door. Ed and I worked side by side for years. He was always hesitant to teach. But he knew air cooled VWs like the back of his one foot! He only had one. Ed if you read this, that was in fun!

Me and him did not see eye to eye, and I took him for granted. Sorry man. I was only 19 when we meet. Spent 5 years working next to you and you rarely smiled or even said “Hi”, but the amount of knowledge you imparted is priceless and large! Take care, if you happen upon this. Last time we talked he was loading up his tool box back in 1996! Damn that was a long time ago!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

Jimbo,

Very nice! Cool
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

Pics of an original

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

Like that one even better!! Like that arm length too!

Got a thin crescent I'm gonna try & a 1-1/16" socket I'm gonna put on low impact to try & break outer nut free, but still gonna shop one of these. (And guess what I **completely** forgot to look for at Prado) Rolling Eyes
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

I ditched the double spindle nuts on all my VWs long ago and went with the split nuts. The split nuts are way easier to deal with.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
I ditched the double spindle nuts on all my VWs long ago and went with the split nuts. The split nuts are way easier to deal with.

Nice!! I almost forgot I mentioned that in the OP. So you simply changed out to splits with nothing else changed? (I noticed searching that some folks said they did but didn't know if spindle threads are same, etc.)

I'm a couple weeks away from being disc now anyway so this might be a moot point if my disc kits come w/ splits anyway but still would like to know.

I also grabbed a thin-walled 1-1/16" sock anyway too as it might be helpful elsewhere on the bug too (like steering wheel). Plus...well.....who doesn't need more tools! Laughing Wink Cool
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Torquemeister rear and what for spindle nuts??? Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
Joey wrote:

Nice!! I almost forgot I mentioned that in the OP. So you simply changed out to splits with nothing else changed? (I noticed searching that some folks said they did but didn't know if spindle threads are same, etc.)

I'm a couple weeks away from being disc now anyway so this might be a moot point if my disc kits come w/ splits anyway but still would like to know.

I also grabbed a thin-walled 1-1/16" sock anyway too as it might be helpful elsewhere on the bug too (like steering wheel). Plus...well.....who doesn't need more tools! Laughing Wink Cool

Here what I use...

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D4210

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: