Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

I have a 2180 bus motor build thread started but wanted to get a few more eyes on this particular topic. Goal is low and midrange power. Top end is far less a concern.

The Bugpack cams aren't available and Webcam has zero cores so their production lead time is basically unknown. If I give them a core it will coost around $450 for a regrind due to the stock camshaft material!

This leaves me with CB performance which isn't a bad option either.

Their 2237 cam is .426 lift and 280* duration which is near identical to the web218 at .422 and 280* respectively.

After speaking with CB they recommended their 2241 which is .386 and 286* which to me, starts taking away from the bottom end torque with the increased duration.

Now I am definitely no expert on this subject but many of you have been incredibly helpful getting me to this point and I thank you in advance.

NAES
SBS #00
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
I have a 2180 bus motor build thread started but wanted to get a few more eyes on this particular topic. Goal is low and midrange power. Top end is far less a concern.

The Bugpack cams aren't available and Webcam has zero cores so their production lead time is basically unknown. If I give them a core it will coost around $450 for a regrind due to the stock camshaft material!

This leaves me with CB performance which isn't a bad option either.

Their 2237 cam is .426 lift and 280* duration which is near identical to the web218 at .422 and 280* respectively.

After speaking with CB they recommended their 2241 which is .386 and 286* which to me, starts taking away from the bottom end torque with the increased duration.

Now I am definitely no expert on this subject but many of you have been incredibly helpful getting me to this point and I thank you in advance.

NAES

well, I had to go digging in your other threads for the engine specs, as all of that is important when choosing a cam

since you are building a 2180 with panchito heads (that need the 61cc CNC chambers) I would definitely choose the web 218...and in this case since you can't get it, that CB cam sounds similar. BUT, cams are not always identical just by a few numbers on paper. The CB cam has more lift, and more duration at .050, so its not going to have quite the low end grunt that the 218 will, though probably not a huge difference. Also keep in mind some folks think cams in this range are approaching too much lift for stock rockers, so if you're considering ratio rockers then find a cam with much less lift at the cam.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

I have a web 119 in stock.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

With that much displacement and so "fast" ports you need some cam duration- and cam lift to make a decent engine. I really like the 218, but I would want more duration. The 163 with 1,25 rockers would be my choice. If thats not available I would consider the CB 2242 w. 1,25´s. If you feel that is too much you can always skip the 1,25´s. But my feeling is that the Panchitos need lift above 0,460 to be able to support that much displacement or the engine will just be lazy.
I made half of a mistake on another 2180 for a Bay window by focussing a little too much on lower rpm torque along with the fact that this bus often goes "high" like 10000´ I wanted the engine to pull decent power at altitude too, so I chose the 2239 w. 1,25´s. The engine does actually perform quite well at altitude, but the rpm power (like pulling a steep grade in third at 4500 rpm or so, using the hp over torque to keep the heads cool) suffers a little.
One thing to also have in mind that it can be so "low end power" like that it gets annoying to drive.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

I used a 2237 in a 1835 a few years ago. It drove very much like a similar engine with a 218. Power came on hard, just like a 218 does.

The thing I didn't care for was the noise compared to the 218. As with most Web cams, the 218 is pretty quiet. I think the CB cam is a little less refined, so its got a bit more noise.

I daily drive a bay with a 2332cc, heads very similar to panchito's, 44's w/36 vents, 1 5/8" header, and a web 218. It will rev to 5000 with really good power, but not much more over that.

I originally planned my engine to have a Web 163 w/1.25's, But I didn't get one in time, and the 218 was on the shelf.

A smaller 2180cc with a 218 might rev to 5200-5400 rpm with power, but that will probably be about it.

You need to figure out how high you honestly want to rev it, and pick your cam duration after that. Mine is great, and its killer out on the highway and on long hills, but I wish it would rev a little higher for hot rodding and passing people on 2 lane roads when I need to stretch it out a bit more.

Brian
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

I have a 9:1 2054 with a 163 on a 112 with cheap AA 35x40 heads (a little clean up by me) 1.25 rockers, and dual springs. Mine is a turbo, but before the turbo even comes in it is a beast on the low end. Haven't had it on a dyno, but feels like it starts to run out of steam at or just before 6000 rpm.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

While it will cost more, reach out to Jurgen Nowak

Jürgen Nowak
Frisiersalon Nowak
Mobil: +49(0)172/3781000
[email protected]
www.frisiersalon-nowak.de

Email him your specs and what you want...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

The 119 will have close to the same powerband as the 218 but less lift which is a good thing for a long life bus engine.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

OK cool thanks for the input guys. It really is helping round out my knowledge. Unfortunately everything I know is based on charts and recommendations and not real world experience so all your advice is really appreciated.

I'll figure out what I'm going to do over the weekend and get back to you.

NAES
SBS #00
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

Please PM or email me. Both are NOS.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

The 4062-10 cam is a great choice for dual carbed "driver" engines up to about 2,1 l. Especially along with 1,25 rockers. Doesnt yield quite as much upper rpm hp as the industry standard W110, but it is just nice, quiet and easy to dial in. It likes medium size ports, like say Panchito´s on a 1914 or 2007. I have pulled 65 - 70 hp/l. several times with this grind. If it was located on this side of the pond I would have bought on the spot.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
If it was located on this side of the pond I would have bought on the spot.

Wink
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

PM sent!
SBS #00
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

Sniped! Lol
SBS #00
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

So YOURE the one Twisted Evil
Hehe, good luck Cool
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

Sorry ‘bout that, Brian E beat you to it.
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparable CB cam for Bugpack 4062 and Webcam 218 Reply with quote

Its all good man.
SBS #00
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: