Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

El Lobo Baja build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Took it for about a 10 mile trip. All was good except for engine issues.
The rack and pinion steering seemed a bit squirrelly but maybe that's normal.
Now I have to figure out how to paint everything.... oof.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Looks great. Love the wheel and tire combo you picked.
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

I like it white. Silver and/or black rust oleum the raw parts and it will look awesome
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

sailtexas186548 wrote:
I like it white. Silver and/or black rust oleum the raw parts and it will look awesome

I'll clarify that by everything I mean all the new metal. She's staying white. The fiberglass paint job is pretty mediocre but for what it is, its fine. Im thinking on the new metal I'll try to spray the top cage and brush on everything else below. I'm considering the rustoleum hammered paint. It looks like it hides imperfections pretty well. I bought one can and sprayed a chunk of tube and am leaving it out in the summer weather for a few days to see how it holds up. Otherwise I have had really good luck with rustoleum semi-gloss on a jeep bumper I did a while back.
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

I've brushed the Rustoleum hammer tone paint on parts before with good results. I used the "good" quality HF paint brushes and it didn't end up with any paint brush strokes. They are cheap enough that when finished I just toss them in the garbage.

You will want to make sure that the brush you use doesn't shed it's bristles easy or you will be spending lots of your time picking them out of the paint.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

I have the Rustoleum hammer tone on my spindles and trailing arms. The medium dark gray metallic. Put it on in 2008-9. parked outdoors. Had to re-spray them in 2020 as rust was starting to peek through. I recommend at LEAST 2 coats, more would probably be better.

I've not tried it as brush on as I've not seen that on the store shelves.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Painted the main part and rear of the roll cage with the Rustoleum hammered black brush on. Still need to do the front. This stuff is pretty fascinating.

The good is that there are zero brush marks whatsoever, it goes on easy and thick, It hides any imperfections, it looks good and appears to give it a pretty hard shell.

Some things to keep of note though are 1. you need to do more than a single coat. On the first coat the stuff separates to create the hammered look, but in doing this leaves pits down to bare metal. its very obvious you need to do more than one coat 2. the rattle can spray on hammered vs brush on hammered look entirely different so dont plan on mixing and matching. the brush on is waaaaay more hammered looking than the rattle can. 3. its black but does give a slight gray or metalic type look to it. which is fine imo. 4. its VERY glossy, but again im good with that since it doesnt show imperfections. 5. I had a hard time finding stock on this paint, ended up driving to Menards a town away. Plus they only sell it in pints now, no quarts. I have only gone through one pint so far.

Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

You did a good job, it looks good. I love how you can brush it on and not get brush strokes and it blends easily when doing touch ups.

I do think that the longer you let it cure, the harder it gets overall.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

It looks good. I'll keep my eyes open for the brush on, would save LOTS of masking for a roll cage or some other parts.

The spray on DEFINITELY NEEDS multiple coats.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Took it on its first trip over to silver lake sand dunes. She survived and was a lot of fun. Needs more power though.... I'm torn on doing a bigger air cooled or going to an ecotec. I wont be doing anything with it until over winter but I need to start getting a line on what I need

joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

I would start with a bus trans, and see what that does for you. Much better gearing for offroad, also much beafier. More power, and big tires, pretty much dictates a bus trans. Only question is how much more power will you end up wanting, and getting the right trans now. The 3 rib has a 5.38 ratio, the 5 rib is 4.86. The 5 rib is much stronger, but the 3 rib has better ratios for a smaller motor. I ran my buggy with a 1915, and a pro street type 1 trans with a 4.37 , and while dunning, spent most of the time in first and 2nd. Same style tires as you have.
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Yes a bus trans is priority as well. Actually I have been looking and waiting to see them pop up on facebook marketplace for a few months now. They are VERY few and far between here in michigan. I haven't seen any for sale in close proximity. I contacted a local guy that builds them and he has some 3 rib cores he can build me one from for about $2,000. I was hoping to see used ones pop up cheaper than that, but that might not be an option.
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Its been a while so a quick update. I will be doing liquid cooled things over the winter. I picked up new ecotec 2.2 for $1600. Then locally an ecotec with 3 rib trans and adapter plate popped up on facebook so I went and picked it up for $1000. The adapter plate alone is $530 new. I'll swap engines and sell the used ecotec.

72BajaBen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Nice score on the ecotec. I also really love the fiberglass body.

Build thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9762332
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Bus trans, ecotec engine, and Jamar shifter are all mocked in. I have to deal with a few clearance issues but shouldn't be too big of deal.

I have a question on pedal assemblies. I have Disc brakes front and rear and intend to go with a hydraulic clutch. To me that means i should be using three seperate reservoirs: front brake reservoir, rear brake reservoir, and clutch reservoir. It seems like most the pedal assemblies I see only have two reservoirs? is everyone just running front and rear brakes off of one reservoir and not worrying about failure?

66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

That's awesome! Great deal! Love it!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

21golden007 wrote:

I have a question on pedal assemblies. I have Disc brakes front and rear and intend to go with a hydraulic clutch. To me that means i should be using three seperate reservoirs: front brake reservoir, rear brake reservoir, and clutch reservoir. It seems like most the pedal assemblies I see only have two reservoirs? is everyone just running front and rear brakes off of one reservoir and not worrying about failure?

What you are not understanding:

when you see 2 reservoirs on an aftermarket pedal assembly, there is a single master for the clutch and a single master for the brakes. The car is not set up with dual circuit brakes. For guys with sand dune ONLY buggies (and fools who think they're cool driving their buggies on dirt or street WITHOUT front brakes...and I'm SURE I will get argument from those I've just identified as fools) one circuit is fine. For a forest trail, desert, farmland or street driven buggy, these should ALL have front and rear brakes and it's best to have dual circuit brakes. Not a hard-fast rule though. I built my Hi Jumper in my avatar and raced it back in the 70s and early 80s with a stock pedal assembly and a single circuit Bus master cylinder and a cable clutch. I would not build it that way now, and my recently acquired Chenowth buggy just got a pedal upgrade from single master cylinder brakes to dual master cylinder brakes. It had EM<PI discs on the front and 4-lug drums on the rear. The fronts got replaced with linkpin drums. Stops at LEAST as well now as it did before.

Tough to fit such aftermarket pedal assemblies and master cylinders in the front of a pan-based buggy. It involves hacking out part of the Napoleon's hat and part of the front bulkhead of the fiberglass body. You might have to bend the pedal arms to make room for them to fit in there.

You COULD install a 67+ dual circuit master cylinder with the stock VW pedals (I recommend the early forged pedals NOT the later stamped steel) and a single dual-chamber reservoir that pops right into the master.

You probably talked about and showed us the brakes it has. I don't remember and don't really want to go back through several pages to find them. If they're EMPIs, the stock dual circuit will work. If you have Jamar or some other aftermarket 4- or 6-piston bigger caliper brakes, you'll probably need the aftermarket pedals and masters.
SoCalBajas Member
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

BAD ASS DUDE!

I had the exact same engine to fiberglass interference. I moved the tub forward on the pan 5/8" or so, just enough to get the cam sensor plugs in and the fuel line connected.

dual circuit brakes can have two cylinders and one resovoir with a divider that has a hole near the top so its effectively a dual reservoir, that is how the stock dual circuit is set up.

I am running a 2.4 ecotec and an 091 w/ stage 3 single organic disc clutch, stock pedals, cable clutch, stock style disc/disc brake master and ghia/empi disc brakes - i have no complaints, pedal feel is great The people who like the hydro setups and say they are better either had a really, really bad cable setup or just like to work harder IMO unless they are running a clutch that actually needs a hydro.
21golden007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

Yes I do quite a bit of road riding which is why the safety of separate circuits would be ideal. Then again older cars ran single circuits for years if I'm not mistaken.

It is very tight in the pan especially with the prp seat that is forward a bit. I am thinking about going with the top mounted swing style assembly instead of the floor mount because of lack of room and needing to cut into the napolean hat. Something like the links below. I should be able to fabricate a mount off of the cage cross beam that is in front of the firewall. This would mean more cutting into the tub but it wouldn't even be seen. I like the idea of being able to stretch the feet out a bit more.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-Reverse-Swing-Triple-Master-Cylinder-Pedal-5-1-1,34042.html

http://www.nexgenoffroad.com/product-p/ca4000-1116-34-34.htm

Its front and rear disc brakes. The rears are Empi and the fronts are jamar wallet breakers (not much hub options when running a combo spindle) but they're still only 2 piston.

Texas I've heard of people mounting the cam sensor 180 degrees and building a bracket for it. Im going to look into that. Ill probably just drill a whole in the tub to run to the fuel rail. Im open to hacking the tub since mine isn't quite to the level of your beautiful blue manx lol
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: El Lobo Baja build thread Reply with quote

The first link is what I have. They work great. You can also choose different size master cylinders to be able to tune your brakes a little more.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: