Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Clatter! I need to stop by the engine shop soon, this engine is on the back burner for now. I’m finishing up my bug to sell and that currently has priority. But I did score some super solid bus heater boxes for $40 at a VW show along with some real Weber 44 IDFs that came off a running Baja bug for $220. Will the 44s be too big for a 1700? My local VW shop has some of the Hall effect distributors, but for water cooled. Could I just rob the internals and swap them?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

i would run a tuned header and use a diesel heater so your bus sounds like a jet/hotel room window AC Wink

although a tuned merge header would absolutely make more power and be more efficient, idk how well those heaterboxes flow and if it would be worth it with your carb, cam, and head combo.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Major, Major score on both accounts! Shocked Shocked

Those heaters are just the ticket.
Get the Empi t-bird copy..

You'll likely need to pop for small venturies for those carbs.
What size valves did you end up with, again?
42 x 36? Then some 34 vents should be ideal.
IDF 44s usually have 36s, and you might just try those and see how they work.
If you have smaller valves.. Then that means smaller vents..

I still tell ya you should find a 2.0 crank/rod assembly somewhere...! Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Major, Major score on both accounts! Shocked

Yes. More displacement to work better with those carbs. That And the 2.0 rotating assembly is stronger right?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Clatter wrote:
Major, Major score on both accounts! Shocked

Yes. More displacement to work better with those carbs. That And the 2.0 rotating assembly is stronger right?

No....actually weaker.

The type 4 2.0 crank....is the identical forging as the 1.7/1.8.....but.....its ground "offset" . It has a 5mm smaller rod journal to get that extra 5mm of stroke.

Ray
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

then i see no reason he cant have his current crank ground offset for the 2.0 throw. just need the 2.0 rods.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
then i see no reason he cant have his current crank ground offset for the 2.0 throw. just need the 2.0 rods.

I don't see why not....I don't knw if that is anything out if the ordinary for a crank grinder. I would say just be sure to have the journals hardened or nitrided.

At that rate....I am betting you can find a good 71mm/2.0L crankshaft out there ready to go for less effort and $. Ray
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Ya,
If you have access to some junk like our esteemed OP here,
The chances of finding a 2.0 crank/rods is pretty good.

Usually try to use a 1.7 for the case/heads/rockers/exhaust/tin,
And a 2.0 for the crank, rods and P&L.
Early cases and heads are higher quality and less likely to be roached.
Late crank and rods is a 'free' stroker setup.
The 1.7/1.8 is a significantly stronger crank, mostly due to more overlap from the larger rod journals,
But in a bus, it will never rev enough to make a difference.
Pushing a bus, stroke helps.

Yes,
You could take and have a 1.7/1.8 crank offset ground.
That's basically what the factory did.
But,
Dag,
Lot of cake to pack and ship it to DPR or someplace qualified.
Especially for something to be found lying in the back of a car or in a pile of motors or something at the junkyard.

The 2.0 takes a different piston (pin height) than the 1.7/1.8,
But you're usually going to be replacing P&L anyways..

A set of 1.7 heads on a 2.0 bottom end with 94 bus dished pistons makes for a nice little bump in compression, and a bit bigger valves, just right for a bus motor with a mild cam.
Same setup as the 'Cheap Junk' motor build in my sig..

If you have access to multiple core motors as we do,
It makes good sense to just pick the ones you want before starting the build.
As the 'wrong' parts will cost the same to do as the 'right' ones anyways.

Right?

Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

They were definitely a score! The Weber’s are Italian ones, they are made in Bologna Italy, a great price! Thank you for the vent information. I feel very stupide for this but the guy had the specs written down for the carbs and I didn’t get a picture of the specs and don’t have the guy’s contact information Mad

I Haven’t settled on any valves yet but I will probably do 42x36 for them.

2 liter or not to 2 liter, tis the question Laughing it’s tempting, but I have already bought NOS 1.7L pistons with rings and pins. A 1.7L crank that may not even need machining. And cylinders that may just need a hone. I will probably stay 1.7 but I could still be convinced though. Do you have to open up the case for the 2L cylinders? But I can definitely find a good 2L crank at the junkyard.

I will start putting a list of things to order together. I think it will do the empi T-bird copy, I’m thinking web 86 cam (would something else be better?) I need a double thrust cam bearing kit, possibly an engine gasket kit, I might actually have one already, look for electronic ignition parts.

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Last i heard , Bologna is in Italy.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

Embarassed I think I need to take Geography again Laughing Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it now
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Embarassed I think I need to take Geography again Laughing Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it now

I thought that you graduated this year.
If so. You need to return your diploma! Lol

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Close, One more year, class of 2022! Somehow I’m at the top of my class Laughing I did learn in my engineering class this year how to degree a cam Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:

But...I thought Bologna was an Island in the archipelago of Oscar Meyer....or maybe it was the straights of Hormel.....so confusing....

Ray
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Ceckert64 wrote:
calvinater wrote:

Close, One more year, class of 2022! Somehow I’m at the top of my class Laughing I did learn in my engineering class this year how to degree a cam Very Happy

Ah! Then you are absolved of your geography sin.

You'll do well in life if you follow that engineering education through college.
I work with young bright engineers everyday. Most of them are very intelligent recent college grads. I'm glad to have these folks around.

Carry on!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Jeez...those heater boxes. Nice score. I have been fiddly welding a set of heater boxes for ages.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Yesterday I got some more scores at the junkyard. I got a 2L crank and rods that seem to be in good shape, might not even need machining. I got an OG VW Hall effect distributor out of a wasser boxer engine. I got a bunch of carburetors and some other parts. One is an almost new coil that I believe is a resistance style for the Hall effect distributor. And a good T1 dual port head

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

chambers look sand blasted.

Oh and thanks for picking up the carbs!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

I looked at the crank today, no scoring on it. But someone put two connecting rods backwards Shocked It’s definitely been rebuilt, I will check tomorrow to see if the crank is still standard or been machined. But I think the main bearings may have had STD on them… I will also check run-out on it. I think I’m going to go 2L or more. Got to have something that suits the carbs well, so I guess I have to go a little bigger Laughing
Notice all numbers on top

Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4, 1700cc engine rebuild for a bus, what to do, suggestions Reply with quote

Has anyone used this piston and cylinder set before? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=948299
The seller has great reviews but the price is amazing and just want to know if anyone knows the quality

TIA Aiden
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: