Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1200 40HP possible rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MAW65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: 1200 40HP possible rebuild Reply with quote

Greetings to you all

I am the second owner of a matching numbers 1965 VW Beetle I bought back in year 2000 about six years ago I was hit by the rear and the car is sit since.
The necesary body work was already done and now it is engine time
The engine is pretty stock as far I can tell and was running good enough with some smoke and knoking sound at start with the oil ligth on until the sound go off (a few seconds)
I woud like some advice form you guys since I am in Venezuela my accses to spares is not impossible but very limited and I would like to ask if is smart to open the engine to inspect and decided the next move and if I found an impossible task can I reasembly as it is?
I guess it will need cranckshaft reground, new bearings maybe some bearings for the cam and some work on the case and reuse the P&C with new rings and heads after some cleaning and maybe some minor work.
In my late fifties I want a car that I can proudly drive without too much problems for the weekends
What do you guys think
Thanks in advence for any help or input about it
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 40HP possible rebuild Reply with quote

All three of my early engines exhibit the symptoms of light knocking and a little white smoke on start up. Those are not symptoms of a problem just an engine that is a veteran.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: