Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct clutch cable but too long? New build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

I find my new clutch cable too long:

Specs
79. Body off pan build
Rebuilt tranny. No core sent not sure of year
Bigfoot aftermarket pedal assembly
Correct cable for 79 from j bugs. Ordered twice both too long

Problem. Even if I threaded the wing nut all the way down there’s still an inch of unthreaded barrel on the end of the cable. The clutch pedal is floppy. Will post pictures
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

get a picture of the bowden tube. What cable have you been getting (part number) from jbugs?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
get a picture of the bowden tube.

THIS

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
What cable have you been getting (part number) from jbugs?

JBugs shows 2268mm long for 1979. The shortest they list for any is only 8mm shorter. If your bowden tube and its flex are correct, then you better get a cable shortening kit, like folks used on shortened dune buggies.
https://www.jbugs.com/product/3168.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

Here’s the Bowden tube

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

looks like the cable fell off the hook when you installed the pedal assembly?
if you push the pedal down does the cable pull? you have the right cable.
if you didn't keep the pedals vertical when putting the pedals in the cable can fall off. some zip tie or wire tie the cable to the hook. to avoid that. I never have myself.

Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

its the type of clutch pedal that there is a bearing and a bolt to hold the clutch cable on and the cable does move with the clutch pedal.

I'm thinking a bushing about 1" long of metal like a thick walled tube will work ok to take up the slack. any thoughts?

sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

that is odd. well then get a clutch cable shortening kit like cusser recommended.
even if you used something to take up the slack I do not think there is enough threads left to adjust? the wing nut is going to be into the tin? . maybe you can contact Bigfoot? they should know what to do.
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

That a lot of bend in the bowden tube and the end in the bracket doesn't appear to be fully seated.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

remove it and compare to the old cable or just measure it to see if the length is correct.
Maybe related to your aftermarket pedal setup? Do you have a picture of the " bearing / cable connection on the pedal side??
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

what I noticed is that there is a pin driven through the barrel end clutch pedal that locks it to the clutch pedal shaft. Its possible the pin was drilled in the wrong location. I'm thinking if I drive out the pin and redrill the holes in the pedal I can move it the few degrees it would take to pull the clutch cable further forward. I will also contact the bigfoot vendor and see, perhaps the pedal I got was for another year by mistake. will follow up.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

Weezle wrote:
what I noticed is that there is a pin driven through the barrel end clutch pedal that locks it to the clutch pedal shaft. Its possible the pin was drilled in the wrong location. I'm thinking if I drive out the pin and redrill the holes in the pedal I can move it the few degrees it would take to pull the clutch cable further forward.

Rather than modifying the aftermarket pedals, send back to the seller so they can give you a proper set. Drilling holes in either the pedal or the shaft the pin passes thru will weaken them. A proper fix would be to fill in the holes with a welder and drill new holes. Unless you are an accomplished welder I would not take that fix on.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Weezle wrote:
what I noticed is that there is a pin driven through the barrel end clutch pedal that locks it to the clutch pedal shaft. Its possible the pin was drilled in the wrong location. I'm thinking if I drive out the pin and redrill the holes in the pedal I can move it the few degrees it would take to pull the clutch cable further forward.

Rather than modifying the aftermarket pedals, send back to the seller so they can give you a proper set. Drilling holes in either the pedal or the shaft the pin passes thru will weaken them. A proper fix would be to fill in the holes with a welder and drill new holes. Unless you are an accomplished welder I would not take that fix on.

I agree. Re-drilling it without welding the hole 100% shut is out of the question . I have seen wrong lever locations even on regular aftermarket clutch shafts. I always compare whenever possible any aftermarket part with an old VW part . The only way to find out - Remove the shaft / pedal unit and compare it to your old part before you mail it back
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

agree. I am in contact with the vendor who is requesting photos. I believe I sent my old pedals in as a core so I wont be able to compare them.

hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:
That a lot of bend in the bowden tube and the end in the bracket doesn't appear to be fully seated.

From the photo I would agree the bowden tube bend looks excessive. Worth checking however less bend will make your cable even longer!
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

looked at the picture of the bowden tube and the rubber cable cover is installed wrong. Remove it and install the bowden tube into the holder without the rubber. Make all the proper adjustments to the bowden tube (i think the book says a 3/4"-1" bend in the bowden tube). Then install the rubber to the end of the bare tube.

You also need the 2268mm cable.
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

thanks for suggestions. how does one "adjust" the bowden tube? Its definitely fixed in position at the transmission mount. At the chassis I guess you can maybe adjust it slightly like 1/4" or so. I realize it looks too bent, but the clutch cable does move freely and straightening it out will only make my long cable problem worse. regarding the rubber end cap, if I take it off, the entire end cap of the bowden tube is enclosed in the transmission bracket, theres then no where to mount that rubber seal, unless I just slide it loosely on the cable itself.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

Weezle wrote:
thanks for suggestions. how does one "adjust" the bowden tube?

I found a pic from the gallery that illustrates how the bowden tube is adjusted.

Note the additional washers between the rear end of the tube and the transmission bracket. This causes the tube to bend further. In your case, your tube appears longer than needed and probably doesn't need any washers.
In the above pic you can also see how the rubber seal is installed rearward of the bracket. This seal prevents splashed water from entering the tube end.

I wonder if the front end of your bowden tube is not fully seated onto the metal tube coming out of the center tunnel? Inside the oval shaped rubber grommet are two tubes for the clutch and throttle cables. Each of the black cable sleeves that run between the chassis and the engine slide over the tubes. If your bowden tube is not seated properly it would have a deep bend.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

The bowden tube at the transmission bracket does not look like it is seated all the way inside the bracket. I would also check the other end.
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

thanks again. I will indeed relocated that rubber end cap. I'll see if I can push the forward part of the bowden tube further onto the nipple on the pan. I ordered a piece of hardware that will at least let me snug down the wingnut but...not sure if the threaded end of the clutch cable is so long it will hit the fan shroud. I waiting on another part to bolt the engine in place so will find out in a week or two. Its a type 4 engine with a DTM shroud. will post pictures as I get it together. thanks for all assistance.

raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct clutch cable but too long? New build Reply with quote

Yes, take the rubber end off, insert bowden tube into bracket, then put the rubber over the end of the cable that sticks out from the bracket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: