Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

Who here has reupholstered Westy seats using new replacement foam?

I will be using new 'factory style' seat upholstery:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GoWesty sells foam backs and bases:

Back ($80): https://www.gowesty.com/product/seat-padding/24721/backrest-foam-for-front-seat?v=

Base ($110): https://www.gowesty.com/product/seat-padding/24723/front-seat-base-foam-early-camper-?v=

Sewfine also sells foam on page 33 of their catalog:

It is odd that Sewfine sells only one bottom version for an 84 whereas GW sells a version for Non-Camper (Stationary) and another for Camper (Swivel).

I am aware of some of the ways old foam can be built-up if deteriorated or glued if torn (mine are both) but I really prefer new foam if it fits correctly.

I'd appreciate any comments on these sources or others. I'm no upholsterer but can fit the materials together if they are close to correct - I'm just trying to avoid paying for something that will need a lot of fettling to look right.

Thanks for any advice.
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

Well if you already purchased the gowesty foam I cant help you. If you are looking for possible ideas I can.

I have the same seat as you in my 82. The wire frame was bothering me so I figured Id make it work.
I separated the back from the seat and removed the upholstery. Threw away the original horsehair. What I did is looked around my house and garage. What I decided on is a combination of a layer of foam (from an old mattress) for the base. Then I layered that with carpet pad. Lasts a long time. This gave me a good base. Then I created a great lumbar support out of some batting my wife had. I played with these materials in different layers to get what I liked. So far I have very little issues and it has been at least seven years. Is it as nice as my Audi, no, but I can drive 10-12 hours a day on trips and say its fine. This way you can customize the seat any way you want. Just add more or less.

Pat
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

Sewfine can order any type of vw seat cushions and then the provide the proper cover to match.

The smartest thing to do is send them your pan.

I used a Eurovan low profile westy style swivel seat. Somewhere in m6 build thread and picture gallery are details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

I worked on my friends 84 westy. Replaced both foam and upholstery.
Ordered from Sewfine, straight from the book. No problems. Everything fit just fine and dandy.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

heidi85ho wrote:
I worked on my friends 84 westy. Replaced both foam and upholstery.
Ordered from Sewfine, straight from the book. No problems. Everything fit just fine and dandy.

Thanks - that is good to know.

The cloth seat upholstery arrives this week. Hopefully it really is like the factory covers which just pop on the seat bottom with an edge that fits over the metal base - no glue, hog rings or staples. If that is the case I will do a trial fit with the old foam and see what I get.

The seat back will need new foam as the old horsehair and other paddings are too far gone to reuse.
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

Yes, that is the way iy was for me. No hog rings, no glue, no staples, no cutting.
Just fit and go.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

I was wrong - hog rings were used on the original covers on mine. The liner cloth had separated so cleanly from the upholstery fabric that I didn't recognize how it was all attached.

The German-made factory-style replacements from Bus Depot arrived last night and things are much clearer now. I will use zip-ties rather than hog rings for ease of installation and less blood.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

Can you document this for us? I’m curious how it’s done and the quality of the fabrics. On my list.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

bumping this as i'm curious how the seat foam worked out.

my seats are reasonably comfortable however they are getting a bit 'boney' here and there. looks like GW has a long lead time, which is fine as i probably won't do this for a while.

not sure if the GW or sewfine is the way to go here. looks like sewfine has stacks of foam glued together which...meh not sure how that would hold up vs a 1 piece molded unit

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Seat Upholstery Foam for an 84 Westy Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Sewfine can order any type of vw seat cushions and then the provide the proper cover to match.

The smartest thing to do is send them your pan.

I used a Eurovan low profile westy style swivel seat. Somewhere in m6 build thread and picture gallery are details.

I guess that isn't one of the threads in your signature? I searched "Eurovan" in each and didn't get anything.

I looked for a source of low-profile Eurovan seat foam a few years ago and came up with nothing. Would love to know the name of a source!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: