Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So, I might be getting a rabbit pickup
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: So, I might be getting a rabbit pickup Reply with quote

I've been eyeing this rabbit pickup in the neighborhood for years. I work for a landscape company, and I got sent to their house. Got to talking to the old man about it, and he told me he would sell it to me for $1800, as soon as he could find a little bigger truck. Well, it's time. I'm going to test drive it over the weekend. I've owned probably 30 or more vws in my day, but never a caddy. It's a 2 owner vehicle with the gas motor and 105k thousand original miles. Needled to say, I'm excited. It's a dry vehicle, but would love to hear from you all about anything in particular I should look at prior to.purchase. I look forward to owning this vehicle for a long time. Thanks for reading.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: So, I might be getting a rabbit pickup Reply with quote

If $1800 is the price, I would hand him no less than $2k. It appears you are getting double for what you are paying.

Like all old cars. I would restore all the suspension wear parts, all brake hydraulic parts [hoses, calipers, etc], replace the coolant pump, thermostat, hoses, Timing belt/tensioner, oil seals, Wheels bearings, and all the fluids.

You may want to drive it a few days to make certain things are worth fixing up.

I purchased my first Caddy [called the POS] and I put 20k a year on it for the first 5 years of ownership. Right now, it has a 1.8l Callaway turbo, custom geared 020 5 speed, and I swapped out the manual steering to power. I've got 250k on it now.

It's a terrible pickup and a terrible car but I love mine. It carries auto parts and junk, but not much of it. The only issue I have is that the leg room is short. I'm 6ft and it's cramped.

BTW, my fuel pump died at 170k. I replace fuel pumps before their time because what normally happens, the brushes wear out. You may want to replace yours before it wears out too. Of course, if it's a diesel then you do not have to.
deconstruction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: So, I might be getting a rabbit pickup Reply with quote

So, did you get it? Very Happy

If so, enjoy. They are very handy and good fun. Maintenance and (most) parts are easy, at least here in Europe (NL) - mine is a '92 petrol.

At 6'3" I do find the cab a little small and the little 4-door doors make getting in and out a struggle but hey, you get used to it!

Let us know how you get on!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: So, I might be getting a rabbit pickup Reply with quote

Nice find! They are rare as hen's teeth here and I have never seen a gas one. All the ones I have seen here seem to be diesel.
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: So, I might be getting a rabbit pickup Reply with quote

I did get it, hopefully I can start her own thread real soon. Her name is Betsy and I will do a complete write up on her very soon!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: